Tennis Forum banner

Danish tennis

58K views 909 replies 16 participants last post by  Jorn 
#1 ·
I think we may need a thread to discuss Danish tennis in general (non-juniors). Maria Jespersen is starting a pro career at the moment, and some others like Anna Signe Rasmussen and Malene Stripp, who are in their last junior seasons, have already tried their luck on the pro circuit a few times in 2012. And I guess there will others the next few years. Creating a new thread for each player might be a bit excessive.

This thread can also be used for Danish Fed Cup discussions now that Caro isn't playing on the team.

#2 ·

Maria Jespersen, 20 years of age, is the most recent Danish pro player. She's been playing as a qualifier i Greece this week, and performed pretty well in some tough matches.

$10,000 Heraklion, Greece

QR1 Maria JESPERSEN (DEN) d. Alessia CAMPLONE (ITA) 7-6(5) 6-1
QR2 Maria JESPERSEN (DEN) d. [13] Giulia BRUZZONE (ITA) 6-3 3-6 6-1
QR3 Maria JESPERSEN (DEN) d. Sabrina BAMBURAC (GBR) 3-6 7-5 7-6(8)

1R [2] Jasmin STEINHERR (GER) d. Maria JESPERSEN (DEN) 4-6 6-3 6-3

Pretty good effort against the 2nd seeded player! Here's Maria's own report from the match (brutally excerpted and translated from an article here):
We both held serve during the first set until I broke her love at 5-4! I'd been serving really well in the 1st set. I also began the 2nd set really well but I lost the concentration and didn't really believe I could win. I lost the set 6-3.

Then I began to play again like I had done in the 1st set. I was immedialtely up 3-1 with three breakpoints to 4-1! I was serving with new balls at 3-2 when I started to think too much about it. The pressure was growing and it was really important to hold serve. I had won my previous service game to love with four perfect first serves. But she was returning really well so I was broken to 3-3.
The last three games were really close but she eventually won the set 6-3.

We talked after the match, and she told me about her own struggles earlier in her career when she had gone through qualification only to lose against one of the top seeds in the first round of MD. She also told me, that the most experienced won today, but she complimented my game - my time will come. I'm already looking forward to my next tournament.

BTW: I got a new nickname at this tournament. Players and coaches call me Karlovic! They're all very impressed with my serves and the countless aces I've been serving here in Greece.
GL to Maria on the pro circuit!

#3 ·
Q-Draw: only 2 danes in...

(1/wc)Lesia Tsurenko (UKR) v Ekaterina Yashina (RUS)
Richel Hogenkamp (NED) v Kristina Kucova (SVK)
Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) v (wc)Simone Alipieva (DEN)
Zuzana Luknarova (SVK) v (8)Sarah Gronert (GER)

(3)Kiki Bertens (NED) v Johanna Konta (AUS)
Lenka Jurikova (SVK) v (wc)Frederikke Svarre (DEN)
Daria Gavrilova (RUS) v Irina Buryachok (UKR)
Lina Stanciute (LTU) v (6)Reka-Luca Jani (HUN)

#14 ·
Jeg tror da Simone tager flere end 3... ;)

Måske ikke lige så god som Caro på den alder men da en noget størrere talent end Svarre, er hun datter af den kendte fægter P. Svarre?

#16 ·
Jeg tror da Simone tager flere end 3... ;)
Jeg tror ikke engang at du tror på det...:lol: Men tager hun 3, er det meget mere end godkendt.

Måske ikke lige så god som Caro på den alder men da en noget størrere talent end Svarre, er hun datter af den kendte fægter P. Svarre?
Større talent måske, men modstanden er så også lige en anelse hårdere...

Og tænkte nok der var en relation. Svarre er ikke ligefrem et almindeligt navn som Jensen.

#17 ·
@backhandsmash: cheer up :) No need to be worried. Kvitova schooled Caro at 2010 Wimbledon 6-2 6-0. Caro didn't win much more points than Frederikke Svarre today (percentage wise). But Caro was ranked #4 and Kvitova #62! It seemed like a disaster for Caro, but she had her best year ever after that event!

Noone expects Alipieva to creat miracles. I'm sure it'll be great for her no matter what the outcome. Only I hope Simone isn't too tired having already played two matches today (she also won her doubls SF at the junior's today).

#19 ·
I am in a pretty cheery mood today actually. But as you (or was it Jorn?) mentioned: She's being "thrown to the wolves" or something like that.
But maybe the whole idea of this WC circus, was to give the youngsters an idea of the level played on the WTA tour? I don't think so, though. ;)

#23 ·
Drawen:

(1)Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v Urszula Radwanska (POL)
Q v Pauline Parmentier (FRA)
Alize Cornet (FRA) v (wc)Malou Ejdesgaard (DEN)
Patricia Mayr-Achleitner (AUT) v (8)Sofia Arvidsson (SWE)

(4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) v Valeria Savinykh (RUS)
Bojana Jovanovski (SRB) v Stefanie Voegele (SUI)
Q v Petra Martic (CRO)
Q v (7)Ksenia Pervak (KAZ)

(5)Kaia Kanepi (EST) v Anastasia Rodionova (AUS)
Timea Babos (HUN) v Kimiko Date-Krumm (JPN)
(5)Yulia Putintseva (RUS) v (wc)Karen Barbat (DEN)
Laura Robson (GBR) v (3)Jelena Jankovic (SRB)

(6)Mona Barthel (GER) v Johanna Larsson (SWE)
Kristina Barrois (GER) v Alberta Brianti (ITA)
Q v Anne Keothavong (GBR)
Stephanie Foretz Gacon (FRA) v (2)Angelique Kerber (GER)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.