Tennis Forum banner

The Sofa: for off topic chat.

25K views 196 replies 19 participants last post by  Mr.Sparkle 
#1 ·
Well, Laura's injured and is out for at least the next week. Since I like you guys and there's going to be precious little Laura related discussion until she's back, or more information about her injury comes out I'm making this thread so we can talk about other things. Or ignore it and pretend I never posted it, whichever you'd prefer really.

#114 ·
The slam results were perfectly good last year, 3R, 4R, 3R and hence next year could definitely be worse, but outside of them it was pretty thin pickings. One QF all year which came at what was (I think) her penultimate tournie and a couple of 1R losing streaks. I agree she must reduce the difference between her top and bottom levels, hopefully through raising her minimum rather than reducing her max!

And yes I agree, losing sucks but as long as your (relatively) injury free (and don't suddenly retire!) nothing is ever too bad.

#116 ·
I haven't said this any other year but I really do have a good feeling about this year for Lozza, it seems she has really upped her pre-season in contrast to other years.

Probably reading way too in to it but I can't help but think that sometimes Heather and Laura try to compete against one another on twitter and facebook, both of them showing how hard they've been working in the off season with harder training techniques every time and just yesterday Laura posted a training session with Jamie Hampton to which Heather just responded with a training session with Kvitova haha!! Entertaining to think if at least :)

#119 ·
I wish I was going to Auckland women's rather than men's now. The field actually looks more appealing to me than the men's which I was hoping would be more interesting. It's only my third time seeing a pro tourney so it'll still be cool, but besides Benoit Paire there's no player going to men's Auckland I'd be like "Oh I'll die if I don't see them live", and it doesn't even look like Almagro or Giraldo (another couple of players it would be cool to see live there) are returning.

I'll have fun no matter what, but I think in this instance I made the wrong decision :(. Oh well.

#124 ·
Poor Laurita was "not emotionally ready" to be stung by a wasp. :hug:

It brings back memories of Wimbledon 2009 when she was savagely attacked by a bee during her junior singles match against Sally Peers. The Daily Telegraph commented:

The most problematic incident for Laura Robson during her straightforward 6-3, 6-2 defeat of Sally Peers came when a bee chose the exact moment when the No 2 seed was serving for the match in which to come in for a kiss. But, as with her opponent across the net, Robson swished the little blighter aside and swept into the third round of the girls' singles.
Highlights of the match, including Laura's confrontation with the bee (at matchpoint, no less!), are on BBC Sport: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8127332.stm

#130 ·
I'd forgotten how toxic GM gets. During the off season it's just inane. During the season it gets annoying. During the bigger tournaments it gets vile.

Goddamn, I hate how this forum is run. You've got Admins who don't make decisions, mods who don't do enough and 50,000 assholes allowed to run rampant because of it.

#133 ·
Eh, I still haven't given up on modding it, so that's not really an option.

Results thread, I take it?
Partially, but it was the Gen Suckmore thread that triggered that post. So many threads exist just so that pathetic people can spew bile behind a veil on anonymity knowing full well that the Mods and Admins will not do a fucking thing about it.

#134 ·
Oh yeah, I just avoided that thread completely. So much bitterness on this board. Used to really wind me up, and there was a period of time when I didn't go in GM for months, but now I just think it's hilarious. These people lead such sad little lives, their sense of worth seems to almost entirely derive from the successes of the player they support, and being allowed to tear down those who they deem unworthy.

#136 · (Edited)
Well, if he can't defend that Genie is being overhyped (which realistically, he can't), the next best thing is to attack other players that are. He seems to want to avoid the mere notion that Genie is overhyped, which is why he dubbed me KeysisGOAT, not GenieisGOAT or BouchardisGOAT.

It's not the first time Blue's been an insufferable shit when Laura's done badly or one of his favourites has done well.

#137 ·
Anyone with Camila Giorgi in their sig should not be taken seriously.

I remember going back and forth with him over something Laura related a while back. Can't remember what is was but I remember thinking his obsession with seeing Laura fail was just bizarre. Now I find out he's an avid Genie fan? Makes more sense. Some people feel the need to pick a side and bring the other down however they can to make their fav look better.

I like Genie. She's good for the game and I wish her success. But it's frustrating to see Laura being left behind after years of being the front runner among her generation. Genie (or Stephens, Keys, Muguruza etc) may bare the brunt of some of this frustration, but really it's aimed at Laura underachieving.

#141 ·
I notice that Laura is entered in the following tournaments:
Feb 24th - March 1st - Abierto Mexicano, Acapulco
March 3rd - 16th - BNP Paribas Open - Indiana Wells

I guess there will be a hard court spring cheering thread posted soon?

Hope this is a springboard to Laura's season this year and that she has a good run. I think if she can remain injury-free then I am optimistic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.