Tennis Forum banner

This year is already 1/3 over, and it looks like it will be another disaster...

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Gowza 
#1 · (Edited)
for the W.T.A. Russian girls. And terrible injuries to Lina and Nadia make the situation even worse than it appears to be. And the Fed Cup loss to Germany is very demoralizing!

Myskina is playing fairly well. But Kournikova and Dementieva are going backwards.

The junior situation is very good. I just hope a couple of the junior Russian girls can become bigtime players. There is real hope where Maria Sharapova, Dinara Safina and Vera Douchevina are concerned. Let's hope they stay healthy and hungry! :D Good coaching would help, too. :bounce:

Good luck to the Russian girls the rest of the year! :kiss:

#3 ·
Patience, dear Cat. They will do better as the year goes on. All of them have been playing a lot of tournaments and a lot of their matches have been going three sets against really good players.

Cat, they'll get there. I have been a suffering fan (along with others) of an Austrian player for almost a year.;)

#4 ·
Cassius, I am proud to be an American! :D But I like Russia and Russians, too! ;)

Irish, I never knew you had it so tough! You poor guy! I'll try to be more patient. But when you've been waiting over 2 years for a Russian female to win a WTA title, it can get a little frustrating! :eek: and it seems like the Russian girls are going backwards. They aren't even close to winning WTA title. And their best player this year has been Tatiana Panova. The little lady, with the big heart! :hearts: If all the Russian girls had Panova's heart, they would be much better players!:D

#5 ·
I like the Russians too (never been to Russia so I wouldn't be able to say)
Sorry if I misled you dear Cat but I am a female. Heterosexual, at that. You really have been suffering!!! Two years is too much but I think Panova or Myskina will win a tournament in the near future. I also believe some of the junior players will be very competitive in the main draws. Watching Panova and Myskina play at Amelia was great 'cause they are so energetic and such fighters. Dementieva really played great also and we watched her come back to beat Dechy. I thought she would keep winning so I didn't watch the Dokic match with her. Likhovtseva was awesome against Anne Kremer and we got tired from watching them run back and forth. I had never seen her play before and she was a fighter. Saw Kournikova's match and she did play good. And to think of who she was playing...Paola Suarez, who is really good. Anna's and Elena's serves should improve though. I was shocked that Panova lost at AI. I was the jinx for that court because Daniela, Kveta, and Anna lost too on that same court that day.
We'll just have to hang in there.:)

#6 ·
Yes. It has been tooooooooo long since a Russian WTA player has won a title. But I think it is in the stars. The stars seem to be aligning properly from what I see (I am not an astrologist) and the wait will be over in the near future. There are many up and coming juniors. I have a feeling Ms. Sharapova may have something to do with that. (Though I hope Anna, the Elenas, Anastassia come through first).

#7 ·
I think the "Russian Lynx" Maria Sharapova will be the next Russian to win a WTA title. And that will probably happen next year. Can we wait that long? :confused:

#8 ·
It is another megadisappointment, isn't it? One thing I still fail to understand is why we all are so upset about it, it is not any different from the last week, and the next week won't be any different. We should have got used to it..

#9 ·
Our girls are definetely look shy in comparison with men. Look, Misha Youzhny is already converting into a very quality player making his way to the semis in Munchen through Haas. It`s the third star in the Russian tennis from the men`s side. From the women`s side we have none. It`s very strange cause in the other sports Russian women generally do better than men or at least men do not have so overhelming superiority.

#10 · (Edited)
I agree with most of the points, but I especially agree with FRESH's last post.
In athletics for example. The Russian women are world beaters at just about everything exept 100m. The Russian men, although they're good and usually in the hunt for medals, they don't dominate in the way that the women do. In tennis. its the opposite!
British tennis and athletics are both the same. The men are always near the top, the women aren't.
And the Americans.........pfft, always near the top in both mens and womens tennis and athletics.:mad: ;) .

I have to say, out of all the Russian girls, I still think Elena D will win a tournament first. I would say Lina, but she's injured and will probably be out of action for a long time, so I'm saying Elena.

#11 ·
I just hope that we do not have to wait that long until the likes of Dinara or Maria to break the duck egg.

I am still gunning for either Elena D or Nadia (get well soon ya?:sad: ) to make a win this year.

But do any of you find it strange that the Russian junior boys do not make as much of an impact as the Russian junior girls in the juniors tournaments(singles event) and yet they are doing better in the ATP than the girls in the WTA? Correct me if I'm wrong, Yevgeny and Marat did not play much juniors right?

#12 ·
BUBBLE, your right. I only hear about how well the Russian junior girls are doing and how they're going to make a big impact on the pro tour. I never hear about how great the junior men are, and yet they make a bigger impact on the world stage.
The Russian girls on the pro tour are like Chelsea football club, aren't they EGGY;) . They promise much, but always underachieve.
The Russian men however are more like......West Ham. They muddle along with no-one paying them much attention and then they do much better than most people think they have any right to!!!!!

What tournaments do the Russian girls have between now and Roland Garros?
Do they have a realistic chance to win a title before the French?

#13 ·
the girls develop alot earlier than the guys for one thing.
so they also get help earlier on with the coaching side and as they are younger they tend to listen more at an earlier age.

Yevgeny did play juniors and he was pretty much ok, nothing special.

#14 ·
Absolutely not Cassius! :(

#17 ·
After the very sore defeat of Elena D in Bol my first intention was to joke that if our girls do want to win a title they have to occupy the whole draw at a tournament. The first look at the draw in Warsaw make me think that they decided to act just that way :). 5 Russian girls (plus perhaps two more will come through qualies) in a pretty weak draw and each of them has chances - more or less - to win there. I have trust in young talents. Vera and Sveta should do well there. Vera is a fighter. She may not have very strong shots but she never give up. So do Sveta. The time has come when the youngsters should give the pressure to more "aged" Russian players who do not trust to their strength and perhaps to give them motivation. If Vera or Sveta win in Warsaw it may give a boost to Elena D, Nastya, Anna. In fact it will give them a boost if they have a character. If they don`t they may as well to finish their careers cause they will be broken.

Any comments?

#18 ·
Maybe I saw wrong but in the revised main draw for Berlin, I could not believe Elena L. will play Tatiana P. in the first round.:(
So much for getting more Russian players through having them play each other early.
Roesch will be tough but if Elena D. is consistent, she can beat her.
Mikaelian will also be tough...I think she is a LL. She was upset in the qualies and now in it again.

#21 ·
Anna has to come thru Warsaw and win it

she is playing a qualifier 1st and i hope its not Vera or Sveta (if they qualify which they should)

The pressure builds on the Russian girls, once it gets to QF stage you can imagine the media frenzy whether or not they will see a Russian winner which I'm sure puts added pressure on them.

I'm glad (sort of) Elena plays Panova, gives Elena a better chance to get thru and save face or else her rank is in real ****.

Alyona has an easier match than she would have got, but now she has to make the most.
Get thru this and she plays similar type of player in Marlene or MGM and all things being equal should progress but the way things are going for her i can't be too confident :sad:#

come on girls have a good week in Berlin and a super week in Warsaw.:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

#22 ·
This thread stopped just a week before Bovina's revolutionary breakthrough at Warsaw..

Where are we now?

Last year we had, I think, 6 titles and 6 finals. None so far this year..

#23 ·
is cat's negativity a good thing ???

it keeps on working the other way :)

#25 · (Edited)
I can't believe ys brought this thread back. Why? The 2003 season is off to a bad start for the Russians! :( The only hope is the under 18 Russian girls. The Russian women don't have the weapons or desire to be a champion or a top five player. I don't think anyone would dispute that. I was sad at how happy Myskina was after her terrible quarterfinal match against Clijsters. Oh yeah. Myskina was just happy to be there. But why was she so happy after getting whipped by Clijsters? Because it was her first grand slam quarterfinal? And I won't even go into her ridiculous comments after the match about how Clijsters is better than Serena! LOL!

#26 ·
what about bovina? she has a great game and can challenge the top 10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.