Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

346K views 5K replies 74 participants last post by  Zamboni 
#1 · (Edited)
Now that we can avoid cluttering the main tennis threads,you can all ponder the intellectual capacity of the genius who thought it was a 'bombshell' that Clijsters wanted to have more children: "REALLY?:crazy:I thought Kim HATED kids.Why didn't anyone tell me otherwise?:silly:..."

#3,229 ·
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro:Off-topic 4 the POPULAR #1

Whew. Olderer wins the 1st set tiebreak 7-5 after leading 4-1, 5-2 (double minibreak), and 6-3. :) He also led 4-1 1st set but that slipped to 4-4. The match is 56 minutes long.

#3,230 ·
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro:Off-topic 4 the POPULAR #1

I'm somewhat shocked that Federer was able to hold on and win that first set tiebreak. I still have the occasional nightmare about the first set of the 2011 French Open final.

#3,231 ·

I'm somewhat shocked that Federer was able to hold on and win that first set tiebreak. I still have the occasional nightmare about the first set of the 2011 French Open final.
Heh.

Fed broke for 1-0 to start off the 2nd set but then got immediately broken back. He just now broken for 2-4 2nd set after having a break point for 3-2. :rolleyes:

What the heck do peopl like about this Fed/Nadal crap (the matchup in general)? Is Fed being a big mental midget against Nadal that appealing? Sigh.

#3,232 ·

Federer broken to go down 4-2 in the second set. Now that's the Roger I expect to see play Nadal in a grand slam.

#3,235 ·

Fed broken for 2-6 2nd set at love after the fireworks display. :rolleyes:

#3,236 ·

Whew. Fed holds for 1-1 3rd set from 0-40 down. :) He had lost 11 points in a row prior to that. :rolleyes:

#3,237 ·

Oh geez. Fed finally breaks for 4-3 3rd set on his 4th break point of the game only to broken at 15-40 (1st bp of the game). :rolleyes:

#3,238 ·

Unless Roger steps it up and Rafa's level drops, I see Rafa winning this. Rafa seems more willing to fight and grind it out.

#3,239 ·

Sigh. Nadal wins the 3rd set tiebreak 7-5 from 6-1 to 6-5. :( Wasted opportunity with Fed being up a break at 4-3 3rd set. :(

#3,240 ·

Sigh. Fed broken for 4-5 4th set after being up 30-15 and having a break point in the previous game. :(

#3,241 ·

Nadal holds for 6-4 4th set on his 2nd match point after saving 2 break points. :rolleyes: Whatever.

I hope the commentators can finally stop their clamoring for this matchup. The outcomes are so freaking predictable along with how they happen (mental midgetry, backhand errors from Fed, etc). :rolleyes:

#3,242 ·

Nadal holds for 6-4 4th set on his 2nd match point after saving 2 break points. :rolleyes: Whatever.

I hope the commentators can finally stop their clamoring for this matchup. The outcomes are so freaking predictable along with how they happen (mental midgetry, backhand errors from Fed, etc). :rolleyes:
After last years French Open final I have finally given up on Federer. It was nice to see him beat Nadal the last two years at the tour championships but at majors Federer just can't beat him.

#3,243 ·

For some reason Rafa always seems to bring out the worst in Fed. It's always the same scenario, and this time it was no different. Leading up to their matches he always plays great tennis, usually better than Nadal in fact. And this time he played like a God in his previous rounds. Than in their match he often makes a great start, usually breaking serve early on. You think to yourself, "Haha! he's got him by the balls this time! Go Rog!!!" But then his game begins gradually to decline and he breaks down mentally. He still has his moments, but you almost know beforehand that as soon as he break's Rafa's serve that Rafa will break his in the next - or rather that Fed will give it to him on a silver platter.

I have no preference for any of the three guys that remain. If I have to root for someone Murray gets the nod from me at this point. He's been knocking on the door for a very long time now. Maybe it's time that someone opens it.

#3,244 ·

Now I can't help wondering if del Potro would have had a better chance against Nadal. It would be great for the game if he could get himself back to being a threat to win majors. The way that he defeated Nadal and Federer at the 2009 US Open was very impressive.

#3,245 ·

Well,it's probably not much consolation,but at least Murray can claim to be the 'Prince of the Neds':p

#3,247 ·

I don't understand what your beef with Murray is.
Don't have one ounce of antipathy towards him,I just laugh at the ATP apologists who pretend that the pathetically-shallow talent pool is deeper than it really is by trying to group Murray with the Triumvirate when he's a full league below.I have recollections of Jim Courier who didn't belong in the same strata,talent-wise,with Lendl,Sampras,Agassi,McEnroe,Becker,etc.--yet he rose up and beat those guys at Slams once in a while...even winning a couple Slam titles.

Yeah,I think that Fed,Rafa...and now Nole...are awesome players,but they're no better than the legends I listed above...at least not significantly...if at all and,IMO,any sport should be at least somewhat ashamed when all the biggest championships are won by three teams or players...and,as I've said in the previous paragraph,I'm gonna laugh in the apologists' faces if they feed me weak propaganda lines and expect me to swallow them like some blinders-wearing religious cult member

For the record,if Murray ever breaks through,my hat is TRULY off to him:hatoff:

#3,248 ·

On a bit of a sad note, it just occurred to me that you need to change the name of the thread on monday, Bruce.

#3,249 ·

On a bit of a sad note, it just occurred to me that you need to change the name of the thread on monday, Bruce.
Will listen to recommendations from all of you--one of the options should be 'To HELL with the bashers;she's still #1 in our hearts: Don't change the name'

#3,252 ·

@Bruce, you forgot Borg.
No,I didn't forget him...just didn't see much of him b/c I was barely out of kindergarten when he retired...but yeah,he was one of the truly great ones from not-overly-distant times

#3,253 · (Edited)

Loud comeon from Murray as he wins the 3rd set tiebreak. Dang...the match is about 3 hours 40 minutes long.

#3,260 ·

Murray lost his head there.
The match was kind of lost there. :shrug:

#3,255 ·

Murray is allergic to actually winning this match. :shrug:

#3,261 ·

Murray is allergic to actually winning this match. :shrug:
Why should that surprise you:lol:?It wasn't 'bad luck' when JJ constantly failed to close out Henin in Slams and other big matches,and it's not bad luck for Murray,either...it defines who he is as a man and as a player;)

EDIT:Off to work(Big Wave to Caro fans)

#3,263 ·

Why should that surprise you:lol:?It wasn't 'bad luck' when JJ constantly failed to close out Henin in Slams and other big matches,and it's not bad luck for Murray,either...it defines who he is as a man and as a player;)

EDIT:Off to work(Big Wave to Caro fans)
I can't say it's much of a surprise. I was just hoping that he'd win this slam with Fed out.

I'm tired of the slams just being won by Djokovic or Nadal.

#3,285 ·

I can't say it's much of a surprise. I was just hoping that he'd win this slam with Fed out.

I'm tired of the slams just being won by Djokovic or Nadal.
If you're TIRED now,then you'll be absolutely EXHAUSTED in a couple years:p

#3,257 ·

He's not been the only one. ;)
Djokovic has already proven himself on the grand slam stage though.

#3,258 ·

Murray broken for 7-5 5th set at 40-15 after having 3 break points at 5-5. :rolleyes:

#3,268 ·

My concern was that you might feel aggravated to the point of wanting to leave the forum again,but I won't dwell on the past too much because you told me that there weren't any hard feelings and,based on what you've shown in your time here,I'm strongly inclined to take you at your word and let that old stuff go.

My 'loser' accusation is definitely subjective and not factual;obviously,he's been a successful player so he's not some total failure.However,most tennis insiders consider him a top-notch talent,and Murray has usually fallen woefully short vs. the Triumvirate at Slams...rarely even competitive.This year,Novak has been limping along and lacking explosiveness of movement,and he sprayed LOTS of UEs in the semi...and Murray STILL failed.A small sign that I consider telling is that Andy tried to dismiss Nole's limping after the match...an underhanded way of insinuating that Nole was 100%.In MY view,a rationalization---Murray's saying,basically,'No,I'm not a loser just because I couldn't beat Nole even when he was sub-par."

#3,269 ·

My concern was that you might feel aggravated to the point of wanting to leave the forum again,but I won't dwell on the past too much because you told me that there weren't any hard feelings and,based on what you've shown in your time here,I'm strongly inclined to take you at your word and let that old stuff go.

My 'loser' accusation is definitely subjective and not factual;obviously,he's been a successful player so he's not some total failure.However,most tennis insiders consider him a top-notch talent,and Murray has usually fallen woefully short vs. the Triumvirate at Slams...rarely even competitive.This year,Novak has been limping along and lacking explosiveness of movement,and he sprayed LOTS of UEs in the semi...and Murray STILL failed.A small sign that I consider telling is that Andy tried to dismiss Nole's limping after the match...an underhanded way of insinuating that Nole was 100%.In MY view,a rationalization---Murray's saying,basically,'No,I'm not a loser just because I couldn't beat Nole even when he was sub-par."
Well, Nole did a lot of limping. Not for the first time in his career btw. The problem is that three or four hours later he's still limping...at a 100mph once the ball is in play, that is. :)

#3,271 ·

So any predictions for the men's final? I think it'll be Nadal in 4. Djokovic doesn't seem to be as good as last year and Nadal seems better than last year. Plus the court surface is pretty slow which would make it difficult to hit winners/finish the point against Nadal and Djokovic may be somewhat fatigued.

#3,272 ·

Yeah,the fatigue factor will probably help Rafa a lot against the man who dominated him last year...it'd be impressive if Nole pulled this off

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.