Tennis Forum banner

Rossana de los Ríos

205K views 3K replies 66 participants last post by  Hayato 
#1 · (Edited)
Ana Paula Neffa De Los Rios Cheering Thread!!

-Cheering Thread!-

Formerly Rossana De Los Rios' cheering thread!

See less See more
#2,197 ·
Re: Rossana De Los Rios 2008 Cheering Thread!

Rossana is one of those players that can get a good result going at the same tournament, a couple of years in a row (think Indian Harbor Beach!) and I think Albuquerque is no exception. The altitude there I really think suits her just fine, and not everyone handles it well :)
I really think she's gonna win tomorrow! I want to see her do well in Ashland next week though, so I hope she keeps it two sets :D
VAMOS!

#2,198 ·

I love reading this thread with all these positive responses from all her fans!! :D

http://www.abqjournal.com/sports/20954552871sports09-20-08.htm
I just read there that Rossana won 10 straight games against Lepchenko, so she must have been down something like 4-0 in the first set, then gone up 6-4 4-0. :eek: Hopefully there will be another article on today's results, so we can find out more information.

#2,199 ·

ColemanVision: Top Seeds Romp in Semis
By Toby Smith
Journal Staff Writer

All is well in Ditty World.
Kentucky's Julie Ditty, who has been ruling all that is Tanoan this week, continued her reign Saturday with a win in the singles semifinals of the ColemanVision Tennis Championships. Today, she'll be surveying her domain as she attempts to go after titles in both singles and doubles.
The singles final begins at 1 p.m., with the doubles to follow.
Form held true this year as Ditty, the No. 2 seed, will meet the tournament's No. 1, Rossana de los Rios, the defending champion, from Paraguay. Classy, savvy players both, neither has lost a set all week.
On Saturday, Ditty disposed of Georgia's Anna Tatishvili , 6-3, 6-3. "I played my game," Ditty said, which means she refused to mix it up with Tatishvili, a baseliner who punishes the ball off both sides. Ditty sent the 20-year-old soft stuff, trying to draw her to the net, a place where Tatishvili looked completely lost.
During the first set, Tatishvili's father, Dimitry, sat hunched over in the front of the stadium court, making detailed notes on the match and exhorting his daughter in Georgian. Then suddenly he was gone — and soon, so was the match. When Tatishvili disputed two line calls in the seventh game of the second set, which until then had been a tense affair, she fell apart, losing that game and the final two.
"Calls go both ways," said Ditty afterward. "You just can't let things like that get to you."
De los Rios lets few things get to her. Playing like someone wanting to catch a bus, she grabbed the first nine games to breeze past Mariana Duque-Marino, 6-0, 6-3. Duque-Marino clearly did not look like the tournament's No. 3 seed. She simply could not put any points together and didn't get on the board until the ninth game. Deserted by her forehand and with de los Rios working on her backhand, Duque-Marino became the picture of discouragement.
Was it as easy it looked? De los Rios was asked as she cooled off under the shade of a courtside tree.
"I didn't miss any balls," she said, smiling.
The match was probably hardest on Armando Cobo, the Albuquerquean who is hosting de los Rios and her family, just as he did last year. Cobo is from Colombia, Duque-Marino's homeland. In fact, on Saturday he wore a ballcap with the word "Colombia."
"I felt guilty," said Cobo. "I was torn." But in the end, he was happy.

Happy, too, was the ColemanVision director, Sue Jollensten. On Friday night, at the tournament party sponsored by Susan L. Perry and the New Mexico Sports Authority, Jollensten received a gift of $200,000 worth of stock.
The presentation from Perry, who oversees the Susan L. Perry Foundation, is a partial endowment for the New Mexico Youth Tennis Foundation, which is the tournament's chief beneficiary. The funding ensures the continuity and permanence of the NMYTF. "I was overwhelmed," Jollensten said Saturday. "Absolutely thrilled."
http://www.abqjournal.com/sports/21111149sports09-21-08.htm

Rossana is so cute!!!!!!!!! :lol: :hug:
This Armando Cobo wasn't the only person who was torn!

It sounds like Rossana is really happy with this week, as she should be. I really hope she can finish it off with her first title of the year!! Buena Suerte!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :worship:

#2,200 ·

http://www.abqjournal.com/sports/21111149sports09-21-08.htm

Rossana is so cute!!!!!!!!! :lol: :hug:
This Armando Cobo wasn't the only person who was torn!

It sounds like Rossana is really happy with this week, as she should be. I really hope she can finish it off with her first title of the year!! Buena Suerte!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :worship:

:lol: That is one sweet article :cool:.

I wonder how much longer we will have to wait for the score :apumpkin:

#2,201 ·

CrossCourt~Rally said:
:lol: That is one sweet article :cool:.
I wonder how much longer we will have to wait for the score
I know! We have been waiting for 3 hours now...it's only making me more and more nervous :unsure: I'm sure it's finished now. Come on Rossana!!!

#2,202 ·

She lost 6-4 7-6(3) :(

Quite disappointing, I thought she would win, but she still had a strong week. Good luck in $50K Ashland next week. :hug:

#2,205 ·

It was nice week for her such shame that she could not take the title :hug:
Better luck this week

#2,207 ·

That's a shame that she pulled out of Ashland. Thanks for the news. I guess it's good for her to rest her body, we don't want any more of those horrendous injuries like she had a couple of years back!

I hope she plays the $25K San Luis Potosi. It's a much easier field, and though it won't help her ranking much, it would be nice for her to win a title this year.

Monday, September 22, 2008
Ditty Prevails in ColemanVision Title Match
By Toby Smith
Journal Staff Writer
A Ditty double.
In Ditty World, the tennis sphere that Julie Ditty has existed in all week at Tanoan Country Club, winning is only one part of living.
In Ditty World, opponents get mowed down like crabgrass, smiles show up often, rackets never thrown, autographs signed until fingers hurt, thank-yous handed out like pennies, boring interview questions gracefully answered, and, just for fun, somersaults made off the top of the Sandia Mountains.
No truth to that last act, though in Ditty World, anything's possible.
On Sunday afternoon, Ditty, the ColemanVision Championships No. 2 seed, knocked off the No. 1 seed and defending champion, Rossana de los Rios, 6-4, 7-6 (3) to take the singles title.
Twenty-five minutes later, Ditty, 29, returned to the court to capture the doubles with Carly Gullickson, 6-3, 6-4, over Argentina's Jorgelina Cravero and Betina Jozami.
In Ditty World, though, surprises sometimes happen.
Against the stalwart De los Rios, steady as a metronome at 33, Ditty failed to convert seven match points, six in the second set and another in the tiebreak. That sort of of tension left many in the sun-drenched crowd of 250 spent from excitement.
"Believe me," Ditty said later as she scribbled her name on tennis balls for a mob of ballkids, "I didn't want to make it exciting. I think we were both nervous out there."
Indeed, after zipping through the first set, mostly by sending mini-lobs and slow stuff to De los Rios, Ditty led 4-1 in the second. At that point, fans began collecting their belongings; Ditty World seemed impregnable.
Surprise!
"I didn't play my game then," said Ditty, acknowledging that she shifted to wailing from the baseline with De los Rios, who is a master of that.
Serving for the match at 5-3, Ditty World shook. Four straight times Ditty failed to convert and suddenly the score was 5-4. Just as quick was 5-all, then 6-all. In the tiebreak, Ditty jumped out to 4-1, and at 6-3 De los Rios double-faulted to end things.

In Ditty World, when you win you don't do a Roger Federer and roll around on the court. Nor do you scramble up into the stands and hug family members. (None were around). You walk to the net with your head up, smiling (of course). You shake hands and then exchange a kiss.
When all was done, De los Rios was smiling, too.
"It was not like a normal match," she said. "There were so many match points."

For winning, Ditty received $11,400. De los Rios' runner-up check was $6,080.
In doubles, Carly Gullickson, slamming unreturnable overheads left and right at the Argentines, carried the pairing that reached the third round of the U.S. Open. The two Americans will split $4,180. The Argentines will do likewise with $2,090.
The proceeds for this year's ColemanVision Championships totaled about $20,000, according to tournament director Sue Jollensten.
Next up for Ditty World? Today, she leaves for her hometown of Ashland, Ky., and a $10,000 Pro Circuit event there run by her father, Dr. Jack Ditty, a dermatologist.
De los Rios, from Paraguay, will have her eyes checked by Dr. Stephen Coleman. If everything goes right, she'll return to Albuquerque in a couple of weeks and have Lasik surgery.
I wonder if that means that she will pull out next week to have the surgery. And I wonder if it will take her time to recover from the surgery or get used to it. It should help her tennis though, if she can see the ball better! I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: CrossCourt~Rally
#2,208 ·

That's a shame that she pulled out of Ashland. Thanks for the news. I guess it's good for her to rest her body, we don't want any more of those horrendous injuries like she had a couple of years back!

I hope she plays the $25K San Luis Potosi. It's a much easier field, and though it won't help her ranking much, it would be nice for her to win a title this year.

I wonder if that means that she will pull out next week to have the surgery. And I wonder if it will take her time to recover from the surgery or get used to it. It should help her tennis though, if she can see the ball better! I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Hmm, i remember Capriati had Lasik eye surgery and had problems seeing the ball at the Australian Open ( lost in the 1st rd) a month after she had it :eek:. I hope she waits until the end of the season to have this procedure.
I hope Rossana plays the 2 clay tourneys in Mexico because, yes...the draws are easier and she will be playing on her best surface ;).
Talk with u soon...:bounce:...:wavey:

#2,211 · (Edited)

RoRos section of the draw...:cool:

Singles Main Draw

(1)Rossana De Los Rios (PAR) v Sara Del Barrio-Aragon (ESP)
Eva Fernandez-Brugues (ESP) v Q

Story Tweedie-Yates (USA) v (wc)Erika Clarke-Magana (MEX)
(5)Estrella Cabeza-Candela (ESP) v (wc)Daniela Munoz-Gallegos (MEX)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like a nice section of the draw for Rossana :bounce:. But honestly, i have only ever heard of Story and Erika Clarke before :eek:. I have no idea how the #5 seed Estrella( or anyone else in this section )plays , maybe someone can clue me in :lol::p

#2,213 ·

Thanks for posting the draw in here, Heath!

Yeah, i dont blame you for not knowing most of those players in her quarter :lol: I have heard of their names, but they really don't have the results that would make me nervous about Rossana facing them. Estrella is a decent player on clay but I think RoRo would get past her in 2 sets.

That's great she plans to play Augusta...the more wins, the more she plays and the more titles she can win this year before it ends, the better!!!

Rock on RORO!!! Good luck tomorrow!! :hug:

Shame that she lost in the doubles 1R, but i guess she only plays doubles for fun now.

#2,215 ·

Thanks for posting the draw in here, Heath!

Yeah, i dont blame you for not knowing most of those players in her quarter :lol: I have heard of their names, but they really don't have the results that would make me nervous about Rossana facing them. Estrella is a decent player on clay but I think RoRo would get past her in 2 sets.

That's great she plans to play Augusta...the more wins, the more she plays and the more titles she can win this year before it ends, the better!!!

Rock on RORO!!! Good luck tomorrow!! :hug:

Shame that she lost in the doubles 1R, but i guess she only plays doubles for fun now.
Yeah, it seems she only plays doubles on clay courts aswell. ;)

Good Luck RORO!

#2,214 ·

The doubles matche started at 14.00 local time and the weather was nice to play.In the first game of the match Heidi El Tabakh and Story Tweedie broke Rossana serve and then El Tabakh held her serve pretty easy,serving very strong with one ace.
The story repeat once again and the team Tabakh/Tweedie was leading the match 4/1 but Erika Clarke was becoming stronger at the net and starting to win almost of the points in the net.Rossana make a couple of forehand winners but also made some mistakes at the net and the first set finish 3/6.

In the second set Heidi/Story were 3/0 up , then Clarke held her serve and after that De Los Rios/Clarke broke the other team serve for first time in the whole match.The match was very interesting from there to the end,where Rossana was playing pretty solid from the baseline and Erika was winning the points at the net.Then the team DeLosRios/Clarke were up for the first time in the whole match 5/4 but the other team played very good the important points and took the second set and the match.

#2,216 ·

The doubles matche started at 14.00 local time and the weather was nice to play.In the first game of the match Heidi El Tabakh and Story Tweedie broke Rossana serve and then El Tabakh held her serve pretty easy,serving very strong with one ace.
The story repeat once again and the team Tabakh/Tweedie was leading the match 4/1 but Erika Clarke was becoming stronger at the net and starting to win almost of the points in the net.Rossana make a couple of forehand winners but also made some mistakes at the net and the first set finish 3/6.

In the second set Heidi/Story were 3/0 up , then Clarke held her serve and after that De Los Rios/Clarke broke the other team serve for first time in the whole match.The match was very interesting from there to the end,where Rossana was playing pretty solid from the baseline and Erika was winning the points at the net.Then the team DeLosRios/Clarke were up for the first time in the whole match 5/4 but the other team played very good the important points and took the second set and the match.

Thanks for the info! :bounce:

#2,218 · (Edited)

So do we know if she beat Sara? :)
I'd be surprised if this didn't end up with Rossana against Mariana in the final.
She's playing Quebec, but is that after Lawrenceville? I can't remember!
Good luck in R2 (assuming she won!)
VAMOS! :D:D:D
Yes ;), Lawrenceville ( and Pittsburgh )are before Quebec City. There is a major US 75k ITF event the week after Quebec City, but they still do not know where it will be held :lol:. Pittsburgh was in this spot, but they moved it up a few weeks leaving the week after Quebec empty. This is always a popular week for most of the us based ITF girls to finish there seasons after playing in Quebec =).
Also, Rossana has pulled out of the 25k in Mexico ( hardcourt ) which means she will play in Pitt. This years entry list is allot weaker than when it was held the week after Quebec. Yet another smart move from Rossana ;)...:wavey:

#2,221 ·

Second Round: (1) de los Rios def. (Q) Zemenova 6-1 7-5

Two tight sets and two easy sets...not a bad start for Rossana. Next is the #5 seed who could be a little bit tricky. Rossana should win in 2 though. I REALLY want her to win the title this week.:)

#2,226 ·

As long as she keeps winning in straight sets, she should get to the final easily :)
I just hope she isn't going to play too much as it looks like she's got a busy schedule...
Oct 6 - Pittsburgh
Oct 13 - Lawrenceville
Oct 20 - Augusta
Oct 27 - Quebec City
At least she's staying on the east coast :) Good luck to her! Here's hoping she has some gas left in the tank! :D
VAMOS! :D:D:D

#2,228 ·

Quarterfinals: (1) de los Rios def. (5) Cabeza-Candela 6-2 6-2

What a nice scoreline :D Hopefully she is getting better and better the more she plays on the clay this week. Betina Jozami is her next opponent. Jozami has only lost to 4 players on clay all year, beat Rossana 4-6 6-4 6-4 in Bogota qualies back in February, and hasn't lost a set this week either. So it will be a difficult match for her. But if she can get through, I think the final will be easier. Good job Rossana!!! Please make the final :bowdown:

I think you're right Heath, she doesn't need to play all 4 of those tournaments, I think that will wear her out particularly if she wins more than a couple of matches in each. She is the kind of player who likes to take it one tournament at a time. Thanks for posting her schedule like that Jerry, now it's nice and clear.:)

If she wins two more matches this week, I wouldn't be surprised if she withdrew from Pittsburgh.

Keep winning Rossana!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.