Tennis Forum banner

SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2.

51K views 978 replies 76 participants last post by  Trih 
#1 · (Edited)

Seeds:

[1] Victoria Azarenka
[2] Serena Williams
[3] Maria Sharapova
[4] Agnieszka Radwanska
[5] Angelique Kerber
[6] Sara Errani
[/] Li Na ankle injury
[7] Petra Kvitova
[8] Sam Stosur
[9] Marion Bartoli
[10] Caroline Wozniacki
[11] Nadia Petrova
[12] Ana Ivanovic
[13] Maria Kirilenko
[14] Dominika Cibulkova calf injury
[15] Roberta Vinci
[16] Sloane Stephens
[17] Lucie Safarova

Looming:
Jelena Jankovic
Venus Williams back injury

MIA:
Julia Goerges
Li Na
Dominika Cibulkova

See less See more
#154 ·
Re: GOATpova returns to stay undefeated in Doha. Maria has arrived|DRAWS OUT!

I remember when I got excited that DOHA was announced as the host of YEC for 2008 thinking that Maria would win it there as she did earlier that year beating Zvonareva in the final :sobbing:.

She should play this tournament more, definitely. She does so well here :shrug:.

#156 ·

As much as they suck to watch I almost feel that Maria does better in the second week of tournaments when she has some 3 set crapfest in the first week. It makes her more alert in the later rounds imo.

#177 ·

As much as they suck to watch I almost feel that Maria does better in the second week of tournaments when she has some 3 set crapfest in the first week. It makes her more alert in the later rounds imo.
well, thats just sounds silly or makes her silly, especially 10year experience. I mean she (and every player) should be able to realize not every match the same and obviously has to step up against Li Na than agaisnt Makarova or Flipkins...
i dont even understand what makes her "not alert"...

#157 ·

I really like the draw. Its a good chance to face Serena out of a slam. Maria has to start facing her when she is not at her peak to find possible keys for further decent matches against her. I cant wait to see her playing :yeah:

#164 ·

Do we know when she'll be playing her first match?
Tuesday or Wednesday since she has a R1 Bye?

#166 ·

I can't imagine being the Maria-obsessed person I am now during that 2005 AO Semi :sobbing:

#180 ·

Where exactly is Masha's draw to the SF so much harder than Vika's? :scratch:

#181 ·

Vika has Errani, Aga and Kerber
Maria has Petra, Sam and Serena

IMHO Sara, Aga and Angie > Sam but Serena and Petra on hc are way harder than those 3, unless Petra shows up in brainless shitra mode.

#182 ·

Vika has Errani, Aga and Kerber
Maria has Petra, Sam and Serena

IMHO Sara, Aga and Angie > Sam but Serena and Petra on hc are way harder than those 3, unless Petra shows up in brainless shitra mode.
Errani is playing well this year, Aga is in great form early this season and Angie is dangerous as well.

Petra is as inconsistent as can be, Sammy is the mental case she's always been and Maria won't have to play Serena before the SF, where the only alternative had been Vika...

#184 ·

If we have to talk about "theory":
Sara on hc is probably the weakest in the top 10
Aga (as Chris said) has been steamrolled by Vika all along 2012
Angie is still ok but doesn't look as good as last year to me (for now)

Sam as I already said would be decent on HC but atm is in the worst form possible (mentally?) and Petra is an unknown entity... could be a walking bye as could be GOATra suddenly.
Serena (if the ankle doesn't bother her) is the real #1, nuff said.

NOW, that being said... cakewalks and "difficultwalks" :)lol:) don't mean shit, the hate lies in the eye of the beholder, so I say who cares about the draw and think just about one match at a time :shrug:

#186 ·

What's easy and what's difficult is very subjective, though. Sam & Petra have bigger names than Sara & Angie, but after having seen them play today I'd be shocked if either of them could take a set off of Maria. On the other hand, I can see Sara and Angie giving Vika a handfull... :shrug:

And btw, retaliating by calling Vika catewalk-A is just lame. If ya gonna hit back at GM :)rolleyes:), at the very least be creative about it. :yawn:

#187 ·

What's easy and what's difficult is very subjective, though. Sam & Petra have bigger names than Sara & Angie, but after having seen them play today I'd be shocked if either of them could take a set off of Maria. On the other hand, I can see Sara and Angie giving Vika a handfull... :shrug:

And btw, retaliating by calling Vika catewalk-A is just lame. If ya gonna hit back at GM :)rolleyes:), at the very least be creative about it. :yawn:

#191 ·

Sara will fight to avoid the double bagel against Vika :sobbing: She has nothing to hurt her and Vika will hit so many ROS winners :hysteric: Radwanska and Kerber are great players, but nothing that average Azarenka hasn't beaten before in straight sets. She knows their level and their game well.

Sam, Bartoli and Petra are completely unpredictable. They can be awful or play superb attacking tennis and beat most top players, including Vika. That's why Vika has the easier draw in my opinion :shrug:

#194 ·

^^We shall see. I still think that Vika will lose more games en route to the semis than Maria. Wanna bet?

When will she play her first match?

Wednesday. :)

#202 ·

tbf though lachy, vika has had to face rena a lot recently in her half of the draw
i'd rather masha meet rena in a non-slam tournament tbh :shrug:
Yeah she has. And I lost count of the amount of times cakewalk-p or Maria's cakewalk was mentioned in a thread. I am unsure as to why, now the shoe is on the other foot, it is not acknowledged that she has a cakewalk or her draw is at least considerably easier :lol:

#206 ·

Светльо;24262282 said:
Errani just lost to Lepchenko on her favourite surface; other people she has already lost to this year include Hantuchova, Suarez Navarro.

P.S. I could care less who has the biggest cakewalk between Maria & that repulsive spawn, it is just that you are hilarious.

Did you see the match?

Have some repect. Child. No wonder SS has such a bad rep with repulsive idiots like you.

#207 ·

Did you see the match?

Have some repect. Child. No wonder SS has such a bad rep with repulsive idiots like you.
No, thank goodness. Errani deserves respect for her work ethic and her accomplishments but let's not sugarcode it every remotely decent player will never lose to her.

Oh, go preach somewhere else Virgin Mary. I am not suggesting that Rena dopes or wishing to lynch somebody, I am just hating on Azarenka who is a despicable monster. Plus I rarely walk on these grounds anymore; it is kinda polluted now with this new Siberian skinhead breed plus Pieter is no longer around and I cannot pick on him.

#212 ·

Garcia?!! :hysteric: I'm not ready for this! why Garcia? She's a scrub who'll be ready to play another GOAT match against Maria! That 2r at RG 2011 still haunts me! :sobbing:

Come on local girl! Win your first round match! :hysteric: :lol:

#213 ·

Players in contention -

the top half is basically:

Vika vs. Errani/Aga/Caro/Kerber

then the bottom half is:

Masha/Sam/Bartoli/Petra/Serena

I don't mind that Masha might get Garcia, because looking at her perspective opponents she could possibly face a lefty/aggressive counterpuncher/precision offence/top spin until the SF. So that's a good range of playing styles to come through.

#214 ·

That RG 2011 match :sobbing:

I had left after the first set in utter despair to drown my sorrows in a massive burger :)hysteric:) and was listening to the second set on RG Radio on my phone. I raced back in time to see the epic 3rd set :sobbing:

#215 ·

Garcia is a total scrub. :lol: It took Maria playing her worst claycourt match of 2010-12 for Garcia to make it so competitive against her, and even then, Garcia was totally overwhelmed once Maria finally got to a semi-decent level.

#216 ·

Good point! 2010-2011 Maria isn't something I like to think about :lol:. I'm curious to see if she has a markedly easier time with her this time around

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.