Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Top 200

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Top 400

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Sally Peers

52K views 503 replies 70 participants last post by  Daebak. 
#1 ·
Sally Peers is an exciting new talent from Melbourne, Victoria. At the age of 16, Peers has already won 2 ITF Junior Girls Singles Titles, 5 ITF Junior Girls Doubles Titles, represented Australia in the 2005 World Junior Tennis Competition, 2005 Maureen Connolly Brinker Cup and, of course, the victorious 2007 Junior Fed Cup event.

Throughout this season, Sally has also reached the singles final at the Air Pacific Oceania Closed (beating Tyra Calderwood, 6-1, 6-2 in the semi finals) and the quarter finals of a Grade 1 ITF Junior tournament in Malaysia (where she beat top 20 junior, Kai-Chen Chang). She also qualified for Junior Wimbledon and has a WTA Ranking.

D.O.B: 01/06/1991
Plays: Right Handed (double handed backhand)
Favourite Surfaces: Hard and Grass
Age Started Tennis: 6

Current WTA Ranking: 1242 (Mon Oct 1, 2007)
Career High WTA Ranking: 1242 (Mon Oct 1, 2007)
Current ITF Junior Ranking: 76 (Mon Oct 1, 2007)
Career High ITF Junior Ranking: 76 (Mon Oct 1, 2007)

See less See more
#436 ·
Garcia is just a better player, so this was never in doubt.

Sally is not doing too badly though. Not in the best of form, but let's not expect too much from her - she's a 150-220 ish sort of player and I think she's getting the kind of results expected for a player of this range.

#441 ·
^^ She will most probably receive a quallies w/c. A main draw would be a surprise considering her results the last few months.

I saw an interview during the playoff and she was talking about her serve and how she and Nicole Bradtke were working on it. And that she was trying to have a better 'mentality' about it. Its not the best part of her game, and the amount of times she is double faulting, its still a problem.

#449 ·
Of course she will get one.

Whether or not she deserves it is another question.

But I feel all Sally needs is one good win and she'll be right on track. She really has a very solid, low risk game that should keep her on tour for a while. I feel it's all mental at the moment.

#450 ·
How would Hadzic & Bains beat Peers??
Bains only won 4 matches on ITF Circuit, 3 of which were in qualifying of Aussie $25k!
Hadzic has never gone further than QF in an Aussie $25K, only top 500 wins have been over Sally.
Even with a bad year Sally still had a few top 300 wins, and she's proven she's capable of beating players ranked 120-250.

#451 ·
How would Hadzic & Bains beat Peers??
Bains only won 4 matches on ITF Circuit, 3 of which were in qualifying of Aussie $25k!
Hadzic has never gone further than QF in an Aussie $25K, only top 500 wins have been over Sally.
Even with a bad year Sally still had a few top 300 wins, and she's proven she's capable of beating players ranked 120-250.
You answered your own question?

#455 ·
I would be too. But if TA believes that by offering w/c's to 14 y/o's will fast-track their development then she's in trouble.

Without seeing the match, I believe her serve is still giving her trouble She can't seem to hold serve with any authority. And consdiering she really does nothing more than try and get the ball in play, this is a worry.

#456 ·
Sally just got smashed 6-0 6-0 by Mitu. She won just 4 points in the 1st set!
Highly embarrasing stuff, the worst performance I've seen by an Aussie on the big stage since Isabella Holland at Sydney vs Dokic.
Sally needs to do a hell of a lot more work on her game & her fitness.
To me she looked a little out of shape & slow. Her groundstrokes have gone to average club player level, with the majority of them being loopy shots landing on the service line & being target practice for Mitu.
Until Sally shows some obvious signs of improvement, I don't think she should ever receive a singles wc above the $25k level again.
Ash Barty needs to ditch her as a doubles partner & find someone better too.
Probably sounds harsh, but that's what she deserves!

#463 ·
Sally needs to do a hell of a lot more work on her game & her fitness.
To me she looked a little out of shape & slow. Her groundstrokes have gone to average club player level, with the majority of them being loopy shots landing on the service line & being target practice for Mitu.
I agree, and though she's always carried a litle weight, her foot work as always been OK to cover it. But she was so easily wrong footed it was embarrassing.

Only positive - I thought her serve was a bit more reliable and some shape to it. The rest... ugh :sad:

#458 ·
Crazy how she went from such a solid player to this. She was actually quite a decent counter puncher.

I'm guessing she was told to change her game from the great coaches at TA as they took some interest in her results. Just as she was getting comfortable with it, then just lost all her confidence.

Hopefully this is a wake up call of some sort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.