Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donna Vekic

464K views 5K replies 122 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
I know it's very early for a thread, but time will tell. Judging by this article:

http://www.glas-slavonije.hr/vijest.asp?rub=6&ID_VIJESTI=119156

she could be really something. 13 y.o. and already in an IMG London Academy, made it to slam junior qualies in just a few months on the circuit etc. Hope she's a future star.

#2,963 ·
@ anthonyqld: Seems you got some of us all wrong. I don't consider Twitter a problem (possibly because I don't use it:lol:), and no one said she should spend all her time playing tennis. All I'm saying is that she should wait a little with all this marketing and ease down on PR until she reaches (or at least approaches) some truly noteworthy results.

Case in point, recently (to my surprise) she wasn't included on the list of top 10 breakthroughs of 2012 published by WTA - turns out that the reason was because she didn't end the year inside top 100. So eventhough she was so freakishly close, despite all this work and all the PR done during the year, her results -globally speaking- went virtually unnoticed. Therefore putting so much into advertising doesn't make much sense to me, considering she is still very far from the top of the game (currently at around 15% of points held by world's #10).

And let's not even get into her team's chosen method of building the ranking, which might be working against the very advertising efforts into which they pour all those resources. To elaborate - I bet that making one win over a top 20 player would generate more interest in her than reaching quarters and semis in several weak Asian tournaments. So on one side you're funding expensive promotional activities and on the other you're competing in the middle of nowhere.

But anyway, that's what they've chosen to do, just as some of us can choose not to pay so much attention to it all. But let me tell you...it's getting increasingly more difficult:lol:

#2,967 ·
:lol:
You make it sound as if Donna is some veteran playing so long in this level and it's incrisingly getting difficult for you to not pay attention to what tournament she plays. :lol:
I think that's a bit over the top. :lol:
She jumped up the rankings so fast and only in 2013 we will see if she can hang on to it.
She is only at the start of her career. :lol:

#2,966 ·
I think that it would be more of a benefit to Donna for example, to lose Rnd 1 vs a Top 10 Player showing off some of her game (or even beating/losing to an Aussie) then beating someone like Bratchikova and then losing to Svitolina as even though she gets more points money and confidence, she is less known :shrug:

I don't find her PR annoying, but it's obviously not her as her English is good but some of it on her posts makes me sick :lol:

#2,974 ·
BlueTrees, at the new Perth Arena, is there more than 1 court, or will she not really be able to practice there???
There is at least one practice court, here is a photo of Ivanovic practising on it. I guess Donna will practice on this court every day :)

Donna Vekic

In bed after 127563 hours of travelling phew

She is in Perth
Donna is in my city :hearts: Exciting :p Hope she likes it here :)

#2,972 ·
In today's Sportske Novosti there is small article how there was invitation for Donna Vekic and Marin Cilic for Hopman Cup but Marin had to decline it because of previously made deal with Chennai so Marin and Donna will have to hope for it in some otehr year.
Nothing is mentioned that Donna is alt there in case someone withdraws. :unsure:

#2,975 ·
Well, week 1 for Croats won't be very exciting as it seems, both Petra and Mirjana have pulled out of Shenzhen and Donna is just an alternate in Perth so probably won't get to play. It's a bummer. A few days ago everything seemed much more interesting.

Anyway, really looking forward to Donna's first placement in a grand slam draw. I'm playing the "what if" movie in my head...like, what if she draws (fill in the blank)...but waiting is the worst part :rolleyes:

:wavey:

#2,983 ·
This means that Donna would get to play Schiavo on Wednesday and Ana on Friday (+ mixed doubles); it would be an awesome experience for her. Hope Petko's injury isn't too serious, she's had a lot of injury issues last year so deserves a bit of luck in that department.

#2,984 ·
My Petko... lol... Hope you can recover soon. But for Donna, it's a good experience. She can play against some top players with no pressure. Come on!

#2,986 ·
Well first of all I just have to say it's terrible for what happened to Andrea. She has had an unbelievable amount of bad luck these past twelve months with all her injuries. She seems like a really nice girl and seemed friendly with Donna too.

That being said, hopefully Donna will get to take her place. I see no way that they cannot let Donna play now, she would rightfully be absolutely furious if she was snubbed.

I'm going to Germany vs. Italy/Serbia so I'll hopefully get to see Donna in both of those matches! :)

#2,988 ·
Here are the videos. There are more coming later.

I didn't have tickets to the main match on the arena but anyone can go to the practice court for free. I literally live a 10 minute drive from the place so it's easy for me to get to. I thought I may as well show up seeing as I didn't have anything on today, so I was there for a couple of hours (also saw Ivanovic). It's kind of weird because it's just in the middle of the city, it's so noisy and there are main roads right around it :lol: It was really hot. It was 40 degrees today :tape: Even sitting in the stands I was so dehydrated :eek: There weren't that many people there watching her play, maybe only 6-7. Someone asked me who she was and I told them, someone else said her name was "Daniela Vekic" :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say it was exactly a good practice session for Donna, she was spraying her forehand a lot and seemed quite distressed. Her backhand was great though, she hit some great crosscourt backhands. It's definitely her favourite shot.

I wish I could've had a photo taken with her or something, or an autograph, but I only went there very last minute and was by myself :( Maybe later in the week, I'm sure I'll see her again :)

#2,990 ·
Thanks for the report and vids BT ;)

I'm pretty sure her team knew there's a good chance that Petko pulls out. I doubt they'd travel so early for no valid reason, so they must've heard Andrea is not 100% healthy. But anyway, it'll be interesting hearing more news.

#2,995 ·
I'm pretty sure her team knew there's a good chance that Petko pulls out. I doubt they'd travel so early for no valid reason, so they must've heard Andrea is not 100% healthy. But anyway, it'll be interesting hearing more news.
The Hopman Cup have had reserve players every year

#2,992 ·
Probably not, but I'd be willing to be they have stuff with which they can keep track of the tour from the inside, as well as maintain personal contacts with various people - you know, things like cell phones, computers...I'm pretty sure they have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.