WE ARE OFF TO THE LAND DOWN UNDER - Australian Hard Court Season Cheering Thread! - Page 16 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #226
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WE ARE OFF TO THE LAND DOWN UNDER - Australian Hard Court Season Cheering Thread!

Caroline just fire Tomas her coach I wonder will Laura try pick up Tomas now

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #227
country flag Gruftgesänge

Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of
Re: WE ARE OFF TO THE LAND DOWN UNDER - Australian Hard Court Season Cheering Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Well, Hogstedt was allegedly interested in coaching Laura and was actively canvassing for the job at last year's Wimbledon: he was in talks with Laura's mother, probably knowing that his contract with Sharapova was about to end. It's a great shame in retrospect that nothing came of it other than rumour because Hogstedt is a fine coach and he helped both Li Na and Maria enormously during difficult phases of their careers. He also has a paternal quality about him that I tend to think would make him a good fit for Laura. I expect, in the end, it came down to money. It costs an awful lot to hire a 'Super Coach' and though Laura is an affluent young woman she has nothing like the financial resources of Wozniacki. Still, I think Hogstedt made a mistake by accepting the Wozniacki job. The chances of Piotr stepping aside were nil.
Gruftgesänge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #228
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
*fingers crossed so hard* I've been wanting him to coach Laura for so long.

He's gonna be expensive though... he may be considerate due to him knowing Laura/Parents.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #229
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Caro fired Hoggy

All these coaches that she's fired... they're not the problem. So hope Laura picks him up now
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #230
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Am I the only person who'd rather Laura actually kept a coaching team for longer than three months? Yes, Hogstedt is a great coach but at this point it's much more important for Laura to have some damn continuity than have the 'best' coach available.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #231
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather she jumps at the chance to get a proven, quality coach. It's a big opportunity. I'm not convinced by her current set-up, though it's true we haven't had much opportunity to see the results. Could Jesse not stay on as a hitting partner?
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #232

Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysisGOAT View Post
At this point it's much more important for Laura to have some damn continuity than have the 'best' coach available.
I partly agree with you, Kotre. My post was more about what coaching deal might have been struck last season (or more specifically during the off-season) than the coming months. Laura said herself in Australia that she wants stability as this stage of her career and indicated that she would be working with Saviano/Witten throughout this season.

But there are reasons for thinking that her "set-up" is far from ideal. Saviano's primary focus is understandably on Genie. Laura is just one of dozens of other players who train at his academy and to whom he acts as an informal consultant. I wonder how much time he has to spare for her. It must also be awkward for Jesse Witten: this is his first semi-coaching role and his pupil is injured. In fact, Laura has been constantly injured - and sometimes ill - for the past 6 months. It's very debilitating, and probably depressing, for her. I can't help thinking that she's been poorly advised, and mistakes have been made by her ad hoc team. The doctor in Miami who reassured her that her wrist problem was nothing serious and gave her licence to carry on bashing tennis balls during December made a very mistaken diagnosis.

It seems to me that Laura is lacking direction at the moment and she would benefit from the services of a personal coach.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #233
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysisGOAT View Post
Am I the only person who'd rather Laura actually kept a coaching team for longer than three months? Yes, Hogstedt is a great coach but at this point it's much more important for Laura to have some damn continuity than have the 'best' coach available.
I agree with you. Having a high profile coach may actually put more pressure on her.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #234
country flag Tampering

Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute

The wrist brace is off. So it's time for some karaoke rap and ghetto girl hand movements. Oh Laura.

Well i hope her wrist is actually better. Chanda Rubin answered a question about wrist tendon injuries while doing match commentary on AO radio. She said they could be big trouble, and stated pretty forcefully that you needed to stop activity for months. Said that during that period it could feel fine, but if you tried to use it for an hour it would flare up again.

She and her team do deserve blame for bad physical management. Also both wrists? Laura may be physically susceptible to wrist injuries, some people's tendons don't slide freely inside their sheaths.

As for her coaching big name coaches travelling full time ain't cheap. What's the LTA funding for Laura type players like?
Tampering is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 08:40 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampering View Post
As for her coaching big name coaches travelling full time ain't cheap. What's the LTA funding for Laura type players like?
It's hard to know at this time. Six or seven years ago, when Roger Draper was appointed director, the LTA started throwing money around like water. They decided that our failure to produce good juniors or juniors who could make the move to the pro ranks was the product of bad coaching. Draper's "cure" was to hire elite international coaches who would supposedly turn our no-hopers into stars. The likes of Peter Lundgren, Paul Annacone and Carl Maes were all hired at god-knows-what cost. The most relevant hire was Brad Gilbert who was specifically assigned to be the coach of our one promising world class player: Andy Murray. As far as I know, the LTA funded every last penny of Gilbert's salary. The problem was that Murray and Gilbert did not hit it off at all, and Murray fired him in late 2007 when Gilbert still had several months of his contract with the LTA to run. The absurd result was that Gilbert spent the remainder of his contract on the Challenger Circuit coaching Alex Bogdanovic (BOGGO_THE_GOAT!) to absolutely no purpose. Meanwhile, Lundgren (former coach to Federer and Safin) was similarly wasting his time trying to make a decent player out of Josh Goodall. (If you've ever seen Goodall play, you'll know that his technique is horrible.) Perhaps understandably, Lundgren's way of coping was to drink himself to oblivion for which he was given the boot. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6242902.stm

Annacone and Maes left quietly soon after, and that was the end of the 'Super Coach' experiment at the LTA. A huge amount of money had been spent to very little result.

Draper has gone now and in keeping with the current climate of austerity, the LTA has instead been encouraging local coaching talent. The virtually unknown Leon Smith - who coached Murray as a kid - has done terrifically well as Davis Cup captain.

Whether the LTA would be prepared to make an exception for Laura and make a major contribution to her coaching fees if she was to try to land a 'big name' like Hogstedt is an interesting question. It certainly goes against their current trend: they've cut funding for a lot of players.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 09:06 PM   #236
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware, LTA player funding has been cut to £10m and only applies to juniors and a select few pros - Laura being one of them. Other players are rewarded on a tournament bonus scheme (winning a $10k earns x, reaching the final earns x etc). I think they could easily afford an expensive coach for Laura but, as James describes so eloquently above, money doesn't necessarily equal success.

... for some reason.
Dawson. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #237
country flag Tampering

Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute

Given her fickleness, I'd hesitate to fund a big name for her as well. Funny how teenagers will try to make what they have work, but only after they have to pay for something better out of their own pocket.

Your new LTA boss won't involve himself with player development aside from hiring senior leadership and working with them to set goals and budgets. The strategy Borfiga implemented under him, funds the young high-potential pros heavily, with ones that aren't tracking towards top 100 careers getting scraps or nothing at all.

So if Laura shows she's serious and there's the right coach available, I think there's a good chance they'll fund a big name coach until she reaches cut-off age.

One thing that is sure to keep is the lack of transparency in the support they're giving Laura and other top players. I'd love to see Milos' invoices to Tennis Canada (so I can live in Monte Carlo vicariously) but its not going to happen. Even the performance benchmarks he has to reach are unpublished.
Tampering is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #238
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

I really don't think Laura necessarily needs a "big name coach" right now. She needs to hire a coach and stick with him/her for awhile.
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #239
country flag jay holter

jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of jay holter has much to be proud of

Yeah I think it's best for her to put together a solid base and get solid results before she gets a big coach like Hogstedt.
jay holter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote