Tennis Forum banner

2014 Asian Swing

9K views 93 replies 17 participants last post by  Poldo 
#1 · (Edited)

KIA Korea Open, Seoul (15-21 September)

R1: Mona Barthel (GER) d. (7)Caroline Garcia (FRA) 76(3) 62
R2: Christina McHale (USA) d. Mona Barthel (GER) 61 46 63

Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open, Wuhan (22-28 September)

R1: Mona Barthel (GER) d. Shuai Peng (CHN) 62 76(1)
R2: (6)Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) d. Mona Barthel (GER) 46 63 64

China Open, Beijing (29 September - 6 October)

Q1: (5)Mona Barthel (GER) d. Misaki Doi (JPN) 64 26 64
QR: (5)Mona Barthel (GER) d. Marina Erakovic (NZL) 63 63

R1: (Q)Mona Barthel (GER) d. (Q)Bethanie Mattek-Sands 46 61 64
R2: (13)Lucie Safarova (CZE) d. (Q)Mona Barthel (GER) 63 63​

See less See more
#10 ·
Re: Asian Swing 2014

Nice comeback from a terrible start.
Garcia couldn't return serves at around 150km/h as so many of them surprisingly caught the line.
I got the feeling this is the case how a proper coach can save a erratic player from a hopeless swamp. Things turned upside down after a chat with a coach.

#11 ·

Well done by Mona.

At 3-0 H2H we can gather that Mona has a match-up advantage of some kind here.

Garcia seems to be very talented but erratic. Has different issues from Mona but there are similarities. Mentally both are very vulnerable. Mona has hopefully improved this a bit. Neither have lived up to their potential yet.

Vs McHale will be a very different match. However having one good match under her belt on this court will help a lot. She will be more used to the conditions and will be feeling confident. I think she can win, McHale has not exactly been in amazing form of late.

Making training changes has proved fairly fruitful for Mona so far.

#13 ·

Well done. I just want some aggressive tennis.
:hug:

Me too! :awww:

Hopefully next season we'll get our aggressive Mona back (and hopefully with a bit more consistency :scared:).

It seems that Mona's new coach tries to implement some defensive skills in her game at first before he starts to work on her offensive game. :secret: But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, after having seen her losing first round matches for a long time until april of this year, i am happy that she has been doing much better thereafter.

Nonetheless, these guys of the Schüttler/Waske academy should work on her forehand swing.

#16 · (Edited)

1-6, 6-4, 3-6 :(
Nothing really new with Mona. She has to work on her forehand, the reliability of her serve and some mental aspects of the game.
A first set to forget where McHale simply feeded Mona`s forehand and Mona did the job afterwards more sooner than later.
Much better in the match in the second set when also her serve was working much better. Mona tried to choke on setpoint with a Df but eventually managed to close it out on her third chance.
Quite passive overall again in the third. Significantly waisting a breakpoint by some chicken tennis, as far as I remember with a weak backhand LL into the net, at 2-2 in the end of a long rallye. Didn`t recover from a pretty lousy service game at *3-4 which cost her the match. McHale known as a choker par excellence didn`t oblige her and beside that simply was the little more solid player.

#17 ·

I couldn´t follow but quite disappointing result! :(
Hard Court results are not good yet, I expected much more but her serve is just not as good as it should be and she just hasn´t found the right mixture for her game yet it seems, often too passive, then again wild UEs, no progress anymore at this point but we´ll see how she will do at the next tournaments...

#19 ·

Plays still in doubles with Mandy Minella, they beat #1 Chan/Chan 76(5) 63!

Great win!

Tomorrow vs. Bogdan/Kuwata.

#20 ·

Wonder why her right shoulder was taped heavily.
But surely she poured everything into the match. Surprise volleys, low margin backhands, some good retrieving, anything other than that would have been a tiring attempt against McHale who didn't hit less harder than her (sadly, eh?).
I wish I could see her randomly taking out no.1 seed in doubles, but I had to leave the venue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.