Tennis Forum banner

Steve Tignor : triumvirate Serena, Vika, Masha + Li Na to be at the top in 2013

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  The Dawntreader 
#1 ·
In 2013, the WTA will begin with a triumvirate at the top: Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka, and Sharapova. With Rodriguez’s calming influence and coaching knowledge, Li would appear, at the ripe young age of 30, to be in a place to make that a quartet. Doing that won’t mean winning matches when she’s playing well, like today’s; it will mean winning the ones when she can’t find her forehand or her serve, like the one against Peng. But Li has made the first step. By changing coaches, she’s begun to put her head, rather then her heart, in charge.
http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/head-over-heart/39677/#.UG9HK663bTo

And no place for pushers even in Tignor's mind;)

#5 ·
It's a bit early to put Na Li there, she hasn't made a grand slam final this year. Even Petra has better results at the slams than her, plus she is 31 in a few months, not exactly a spring chicken. I don't even know how long Serena can keep up her great form either.

#6 ·
I do agree that the pushers will eventually be gone..all of them being exposed lately.

#7 ·
Li's injuries has taken a long time off her career so she wont suffer burnout anytime time soon. Think she has a good few years left in her.

#9 ·
Yeah, right. Even at her best, Na will always suffer enough fuck-up losses in a season to ensure she won't finish in even a very weak top 5. She just doesn't have the consistency to stay close to the other three.

#10 · (Edited)
Argh, I'm so tired of socalled 'tennis experts' making predictions about the future based entirely on the current status. 2013 will obviously bring new developments and I'll bet everything I've got that at least one of the four players mentioned will have a disappointing season, and that several other players will be in contention.

#11 ·
Матвей.;22283948 said:
Yeah, right. Even at her best, Na will always suffer enough fuck-up losses in a season to ensure she won't finish in even a very weak top 5. She just doesn't have the consistency to stay close to the other three.
Exactly. Even in her career best season last year, she completely tailed off after RG. There's just zero chance of consistency throughout the season. It's almost impossible.

I had a concern that it would be her body that would be her biggest obstacle to stay at the top of the game, but it's her consistency that will prove terminal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.