Tennis Forum banner

Did the WTA airbrush Barthel's face?

91K views 213 replies 121 participants last post by  Perun 
#1 ·
#5 ·
IF the wta has photoshopped mona what more proof do people need the wta is only intrested in the image and style of the players not their personalities and how they play. i mean this is a tour sponsored by a make up company.

the wta is all about sex, image and putting on a front, it is so annoying for real tennis fans.

#12 ·
I think the photoshop is the best idea. WTA is still a business and doing anything you can to improve the image is good. It shows a lot more effort and interest in the success of these ladies rather then just slapping together any picture they could find.

Isn't it exhausting to go to thread to thread lambasting the WTA in such a self-righteous manner?

Is your perfect tour has 15 events all in Europe, all top players must play, and never partake in a photo shoot of any kind ? Sounds like a failure to me.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
The probably thought they were doing her a favor. :rolleyes:

#22 ·
I had acne myself and it would've insulted me big time if someone had published a picture of me with a bad airbrushed face without my permission.
But judging Mona from the way she presents herself on the court and in the press conferences she will not even spend two seconds of thought on this ;)

#26 ·
Let's also keep in mind Mona may have been asked for permission beforehand by the WTA. It's not terribly likely, but honestly it's another possibility before everyone cries about the apparent sex symbol the WtA is trying to make Barthel by doing a simple, shoddy photoshop.

#34 ·
these boards are populated by die hard tennis fans. The wta wants to appeal to more than the die hards who will follow every tournament and know every player in the top 300, so they have to use everything to their advantage and the beauty of some females in the wta tour is a big advantage.

Like it or not, the tennis itself is not enough.

and the photos are different so until we see the same photo there is no way to tell

#35 ·
I think they just didn't want to make her skin a talking point/make the first page more presentable. It's not a big deal. It's not like they gave her additional boobs.

#44 · (Edited)
If you take Roaccutan/Isitretinoin you will get rid of your acne within six months. However, there are a lot of side effects, you have to have your blood checked every 4 weeks because it can damage the liver. Also your skin will dry out and you will have sjorgren syndrom like symptoms because it does exactly what sjorgren does: dries out mouth and eyes and nose and also the skin but it also makes your bones ache. The latter is probably the most difficult for a professional athlete.

I took these pills early enough when I was like 16 and I was playing competitive Junior tennis every day. It does hurt your knees and such but the amount of excercises I did is definitely not as much as a pro like Mona has to do every day. That's why she probably does not consider taking these pills, because it would make her play less and worse tennis.
Also, since she has had this bad skin already for a very long time I think it is too late to heal it that way without scars remaining. I was lucky that my young skin did not leave visible scars but I fear that Mona waited too long:sad:

But the recent success in tennis will restore her self-confidence in all belongings so thats another thing why I enjoy to see her winning so much:hearts:

***EDIT*** What I forgot to say is that it also requires the patient to stay out of the sun. And that, of course, is maybe the main reason why Mona decides against this Therapy.
( check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin )

#39 ·
that does look persuasive.

Still, no big deal. Like it or not, the wta is going to sell looks. That is a fact.

#43 ·
Exactly. I mean if you look at the players profile pictures on the WTA site, you´d think it´s the Playboy convention or something.

#42 ·
If an ATP player had acne, I doubt anyone would find it necessary to airbrush it out of a photo.

#45 ·
That's probably true, but also the fans wouldn't have cared, made threads about it and repeatedly called him "ugly" or all of that stuff. There's a double standard for sure, but it doesn't have to do as much with the WTA; I think they're just being practical.

#47 ·
Unfortunately for her and her acne and for me and for a lot of us, show business requires a good look, no wrinkles and no acne. If the employer had a choice between ugly and talented and less talented but handsome, the employer would choose the second one.

And it's not my opinion.

#49 ·
Unfortunately for her and her acne and for me and for all of us, show business requires a good look, no wrinkles and no acne. If the employer had a choice between ugly and talented and less talented but handsome, the employer would choose the second one.

And it's not my opinion.
Barthel is self-employed. She can do whatever she wants. If she can win 20 Slams acne won´t stop her, and nobody will withhold her prize money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.