Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donna Vekic

464K views 5K replies 122 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
I know it's very early for a thread, but time will tell. Judging by this article:

http://www.glas-slavonije.hr/vijest.asp?rub=6&ID_VIJESTI=119156

she could be really something. 13 y.o. and already in an IMG London Academy, made it to slam junior qualies in just a few months on the circuit etc. Hope she's a future star.

#2,893 ·
She's not playing Hopman Cup :lol: T
Would it be announced on her official FB page if it weren't confirmed? It's possible, but I doubt that. Really looking forward to see the line-up. It would be a huge thing for her experience to play such an event with no pressure of earning or defending points. Plus, some doubles action could do her good.

#2,894 ·
Yeah I just looked at her Facebook page, it definitely looks official. A team must have withdrawn. Usually though if a player withdraws, they just replace them with another player. So I don't get what happened? :confused:

I've already bought tickets to several sessions but might have to book some more if Donna's playing :lol: :)

This means Donna will be televised a lot which is great, with three singles and three mixed doubles matches. She will get a LOT of attention/coverage, it happened to Robson a few years back when she was a similar age. This is going to be huge for Donna, definitely the biggest moment in her career. I just hope she's prepared for it.

The Perth Arena is one of the best in the world, the court even has a retractable roof. Definitely one of the biggest outside of the Grand Slams along with IW/Miami.

I was already so excited that Djokovic was playing, now this is icing on the cake. :D

#2,902 ·
It doesn't count to her age restriction, it's not an event which she can earn ranking points. It's just an exhibition event, although it's arguably the most important exhibition tournament, there's a lot of prize money on offer. Some people say it's the only exhibition that Serena takes seriously :p

The only negative is she can't get any ranking points :( But seeing as it doesn't count to her age restriction I guess she can just play an extra tournament later in the year :)

The eight women who are scheduled to play are: Venus, Ivanovic, Schiavone, Petkovic, Medina Garrigues, Dellacqua, Scheepers and Johansson. Obviously one of those is no longer playing. I think if Donna repeats her Tashkent form she can beat Dellacqua and Johansson, maybe take sets from Scheepers and Medina Garrigues.

A Venus/Donna match would be a dream for tennismaster8820 :p Probably for Donna too, but her chances would be very slim :lol:

#2,903 ·
Well, I'd really like her to play Venus as well. It would be a great chance for her to play one of the best ever, without any risk for her points. Of course, none of the high ranked girls will give it a 100% in this one as it's an exhibition after all, but getting to play against Venus or Ivanovic is still a big deal for Donna. Hope neither of those two pulled out.

#2,904 ·
I'm confused. Have you guys read this article? http://www.glas-slavonije.hr/184119/6/Donna-je-i-za-New-York--Times-najvece-iznenadjenje-2012

What does it say at the bottom? I used Google translate, it seems like she won't be representing Croatia but is just an alternate to step in if a player gets injured. It's not confirmed that she will play. Is this true? :confused:

ZA NOVU GODINU S VENUS WILLIAMS
Hrvatska nije u ždrijebu, ali Donna će Novu godinu dočekati u Perthu na Hopman Cupu, natjecanju reprezentacija u kojem igraju po jedna tenisačica i tenisač. Tamo će biti u statusu rezerve. Ako se neka tenisačica ozlijedi ili iz bilo kojeg razloga otkaže meč, Osječanka će upasti umjesto nje. Recimo, ako Venus Williams bude imala problema, Donna će zaigrati s Johnom Isnerom, a moguć scenarij je i da igra pod zastavom Srbije s Novakom Đokovićem. Naravno, samo ako, ne daj Bože, Ana Ivanović bude imala bilo kakav problem i odluči se na otkaz. - Bila bi mi velika čast igrati s Đokovićem - sportski je rezonirala mlada Osječanka.

#2,907 · (Edited)
That article was posted three days ago though, weird how we only found out about this a few hours ago.

I knew this was too good to be true :eek: Oh well, I guess I might see her practice or something :p And who knows, maybe someone will withdraw :shrug: It has happened many times before.

I just don't understand why they're flying over an alternate? They've never done that before. Usually if someone is injured they replace them with a player from that country.

#2,914 ·
Oh, long time ago I told it would be so cool that Donna plays Hopman Cup! These are great news and I hope she gets opportunity to play at least one match and gets so valuable experience. ;)

#2,961 ·
I get what you're saying Asadinator, but we have to keep in mind her age in all this. She is 16 and in a situation where she has to adapt to a whole lot of things all the time, traveling so much, constantly meeting new people, doing PR, that's a lot of pressure for a kid her age. I remember when I started highschool what sort of a shock it was for me, because of the need to adapt to new people and surroundings. Well, what she is faced with, is probably a lot more dificult than that.

What I like, however, is how recently she's been uncovering her sense of humor (assuming those are her ideas). The photo above is my favorite so far.

#2,918 ·
Casey Dellacqua has withdrawn from the Hopman Cup with a foot injury. Will Donna be playing now with Tomic? :confused:

Maybe this withdrawal was too early and another Australian like Rogowska will replace her, but Donna is ranked higher than her.

Tomic has Croatian heritage so they would be a good team together. :p

#2,919 ·
Donna's team obviously knew about this, otherwise they wouldn't have flown her Down Under so soon for no reason. It would be cool if she would play with Tomic, although I'm not sure he'd be a good influence for any youngster:lol: Jukes aside, he played doubles with Mirjana very well, so he might make a great team with Donna as well.

#2,921 · (Edited)
My guess is that this must've been agreed on and signed, Donna has a well organized team and I doubt they would leave something like this to chance. I'm still puzzled, however, why wouldn't they get a replacement from the same country. Probably because most Aussies are preparing for local tournaments nowdays and they'd rather have someone quite recognizable than a player not even locals have heard of. All in all - a bit strange.

P. S. I'm a little bummed that this way she won't get to play Venus, but at least she'll get a chance against Petko, Schiavo and Ana - not a bad practice session ahead of Melbourne!

#2,923 ·
Hello from London! Are you guys doing some Christmas shopping? I hope I will have also time , but at the moment totally focused on the court....

Evo me u Londonu! Nadam se da ste svi vec u predbozicnom raspolozenju I spremni za kupovinu poklona. Nadam se da cu I ja pronaci vrijeme za to, ali trenutno totalno fokusirana na teren...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.