Serena: Did her French Open win cost her the Wimbledon title? - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 12th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #76
country flag Human Nature
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena: Did her French Open win cost her the Wimbledon title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BineMachine View Post
Lisicki wasn't afforded excuses for not winning Wimbledon by people on here so Serena shouldn't be either
What sort of excuses sabine could have had ? aside from maybe it was her first GC final...
People who think Sabine is competition for a fresh Serena need to check their tennis history..

Michael Jackson :King Of Pop and Musical Genius
Until i die you will always be in my heart .
Serena Williams : Greatest Player of All Times .
Ready for 18
Human Nature is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 12th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #77
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of

excuses, excuses, excuses

with silliams it's the same with nadal => still unbeaten if healthy/fit...
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #78
country flag Human Nature
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkutsaar View Post
To say that Serena’s loss to Sabine can be partly blamed on her mission to win the FO and thus she was not prepared to play on grass at Wimbledon just has to be a croc. Come on people! Serena has won five (5) count them five Wimbledon titles; there are only three women who have won more (Navratilova-9; Wills Moody- 8 and Graf-7). So Serena knows how to win on grass and surely she hasn’t forgotten. Coming into the tournament she was the champion of three out of the past four slams and she had won 31 matches in a row. And if she had forgotten how to play on grass she had three tune-up matches before she faced Sabine. That explanation just does not fly.

If you wish to attribute Serena’s loss to Sabine to some factor outside of the actual contest then you can blame it on the fact she was not tested in this tournament until she met Sabine. On the other hand Sabine had quality opponents in all three of her matches and most tennis fans would not have been shocked had Sabine lost in any of those matches. So my contention was that Sabine was much more match ready than Serena. One point in particular an UE I think illustrates the point I’m trying to make. It occurred in the sixth game of the first set where Serena was serving at 2-3.

Over 30 minutes of play had already passed. Serena’s previous service game lasted some 10 minutes and Sabine’s service game (5th game of the set) was also long some 8 minutes. So both players knew they were in a dog fight; it was not going to be an easy win. And Serena knew Sabine was no mug that she had to more thinking than she was called upon. In this game Serena got off to a 30-0 lead via two aces. Then the next three points Serena missed her first serve on each of those points and Sabine returned every one of them with sufficient pace to control those points and induced Serena to hit the net twice and miss substantially on the third point.

On the break point Serena got in a very good first serve that had Sabine return an easy shot for Serena to handle. However the return was slow enough to give plenty of time for Sabine to position herself properly to effectively meet Serena’s return. Against weaker players Serena could have blasted a winner but against Sabine this would not occur and Serena knew it. I believe conflicting thoughts must have crossed Serena’s mind as to which shot to take and to which direction and as a result she over thought. She hit a relatively weak back hand that landed astonishingly way wide. Serena would not have made such an UE against most other players.

Finally you really have to give credit to Sabine as she did not wilt and was full value for the victory. Sabine hung in there despite losing at one point during the second set 14 consecutive points and of course she lost nine games in a row to be down 6-2; 1-6 and 0-3. Sabine was down 0-40 on her serve in the eight game of that final set. I believe had Serena broken Sabine in that game which would have meant she would have been serving for the match in the next game then Serena would have prevailed.

The bottom line was that this was not Serena’s day; she was not destined to win it.

Not so long before the first hating post in the thread .

Michael Jackson :King Of Pop and Musical Genius
Until i die you will always be in my heart .
Serena Williams : Greatest Player of All Times .
Ready for 18
Human Nature is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #79
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda silly question I think. Even for a player as good as Serena winning RG and Wimbledon back to back is a pretty amazing achievement. If anyone can do it she can, but the focus and adjustment required to pull it off is quite phenomenal. To say one cost her the other trivializes that.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #80
Sarindipity

Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbert View Post
excuses, excuses, excuses

with silliams it's the same with nadal => still unbeaten if healthy/fit...
mathematical genius
Sarindipity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #81
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
I think this is a dumb question. First of all, there was NOTHING wrong with Serena after losing to Razanno at last years FO. Whenever a player plays in any tournament their is a 50-50 chance of losing or winning. On that first day, Serena got the 50 % chance of losing, but that's with any player. The fact that the commentators and/or public opinion was that there was something wrong with Serena because she lost focus and lost the match. That happens to the BEST OF PLAYERS, and I don't view it as being something wrong with Serena. All players have good days and bad days. They may be winning and end up losing. How many times have Serena been down and losing the match, and then turned it around in the last set and/or last view games and ended up winning. Well nobody said that there was anything wrong with the other player for losing other than the player had the lead and let it slip away. Well that's exactly what happened to Serena. She had the lead and let it slip away, or the other player lifted their game and won.

Serena is not guaranteed to win a match just because she may be leading; just like the opponent is not guaranteed to win a match just because they may be leading.

It is not always easy to keep winning and winning and winning all of the time. Nobody can always keep winning and winning. Even if a person wins one grand slam a year, that's not easy to do. And the fact that Serena won 2 last year and the Gold in singles and doubles, in addition to her wins in the regular tournaments, and followed by a win at the FO. The now state that her FO win cost her the Wimbledon Win doesn't make any sense.

There is nothing wrong with Serena. She will win some and she will lose some. Bottom line.
Wrong. There was something wrong with Serena. She is not supposed to lose to a much lesser player with a 4-1 lead in the final set. She is the GOAT. It is expected of her to win and thats exactly why nobody asked whats wrong with her oponents when they lose to Serena after a big lead.

Stop trying to defend Serena by saying shes just one of them. Thats degrading.
TennisPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #82
country flag tkutsaar

tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chat View Post
Not so long before the first hating post in the thread .
Classical example of an ad hominem attack. When you are at a loss on how to refute the validity of the points raised by your adversary in a debate you impugn improper motives and/or the character of the said opponent. Such style of “debate” is commonplace in political discourses.
tkutsaar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #83
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisPhan View Post
Wrong. There was something wrong with Serena. She is not supposed to lose to a much lesser player with a 4-1 lead in the final set. She is the GOAT. It is expected of her to win and thats exactly why nobody asked whats wrong with her oponents when they lose to Serena after a big lead.

Stop trying to defend Serena by saying shes just one of them. Thats degrading.
Well whatever was wrong with Serena you don't know because she hasn't said what it was. I didn't say she was one of them. I said that nobody wins every time, not even Serena. That's not degrading Serena, it's the truth. And if you are so void of understanding , then that's too bad. I don't know of a champion who wins every time they play. Yes, you expect that Serena will win her matches, but that's and expectation that she can't always match. The bottom line is that she lost, but that one loss doesn't have anything to do with what she's accomplished as a tennis professional. It just mean that she lost on that day for whatever reason. I'm quite sure Serena has put that Wimbledon loss behind her and is focusing on the regular tournaments to prepare her for the last final. Focusing on Wimbledon will not change anything so the best thing to do is move forward to what's ahead.
Foxy is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote