What player on the tour is the biggest fighter? - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #151
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What player on the tour is the biggest fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
Who is the biggest fighter? That would be Serena Williams. To me, she would be the Jacky Robinson of the tennis world for what she has been through and how she has had to fight on and off the courts. It would serve some people on TF to watch the new movie coming out about Jacky Robinson and then they would have a better understanding of Serena.
To the extent that racism was/is a factor in both careers, yes, but that's as far as it goes. The degree of the racism experienced is orders of magnitude apart. And aside from that, Jackie and Serena are VERY different - both personally and professionally.

It's a well known fact that Jackie was asked by Branch Rickey to keep his mouth shut for three years, take the shit that would come his way, citing it was for the greater good. If Jackie was "well behaved" then it would open the door for other black players. Jackie, by and large, cooperated and held his tongue. As a side note: this was contrary to Jackie's character as a "take no shit" hot head, and many feel that this is what led him to an early grave. Of course, after three years, Jackie let the cap off and was cursin' white players out, spikin' 'em if need be and basically fought back

Serena, on the other hand, came into the game not holding anything back. Talkin' big and backin' it up. There was nothing, demuring, modest or reserved about her. THAT'S why much of the establishment had a problem with her. They were looking for Jackie Robinson and got Serena J. Williams.

Personally, Jackie Robinson was a very vocal conservative. Yes I know. More blacks were Republicans back then, etc, etc, which is why I didn't say he was "Republican." He was CONSERVATIVE. He was very critical of Paul Robeson helping to organize unions and testified before HUAC regarding the issue.

In addition, Jackie, while a good ball player, outside of gargantuan historical contribution to the game, couldn't be considered an ATG on the level of Serena Williams. There were plenty of black players at that time who had more ability than Jackie. Serena, we all know, is peerless.

Also, the level of crap that has come Serena's way doesn't even remotely compare and is almost rendered meaningless when looking at the sea of shit that Jackie had to wade through for the first several years of his career.

There was a time when I thought the best comparison to Serena was Ali, but even that isn't accurate any more. I've now come to believe that there is no parallel to Serena in the sports world. She occupies a slot uniquely hers. She has carved out a kind of "new space" in athletic typology.

Last edited by DOUBLEFIST : Apr 9th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #152
country flag il dragone

il dragone is a splendid one to behold il dragone is a splendid one to behold il dragone is a splendid one to behold il dragone is a splendid one to behold il dragone is a splendid one to behold il dragone is a splendid one to behold il dragone is a splendid one to behold il dragone is a splendid one to behold il dragone is a splendid one to behold il dragone is a splendid one to behold il dragone is a splendid one to behold

As far as not only fighting during matches but overcoming or dealing with injury periods or personal issues, I'd say the Williams sisters, Masha, Lisicki, Petkovic.
Btw has anyone mentioned Date Krumm...
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #153
country flag sweetpeas

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Serena
It's a well known fact that Jackie was asked by Branch Rickey to keep his mouth shut for three years, take the shit that would come his way, citing it was for the greater good. If Jackie was "well behaved" then it would open the door for other black players. Jackie, by

Serena didnt have to do that thankful,her father talk for them with they where kids.Different for a kid and a grow man!
sweetpeas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #154
country flag StephenUK

StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree that Serena and Maria are incredibly mentally tough and hard to beat. They just have that aura, they dominate the opponent with their personality and always have the possibility of pulling out great shots when they need them to stave off defeat/win a match. In this they are like all great champions. Serena, like Martina Navratilova at her greatest, is a very intimidating court presence that literally scares opponents into defeat sometimes.

Looking back over the last 30 years, two other retired players also come to mind when discussing mental toughness and I am not quite sure who corresponds to them now in terms of their fighting abilities.
Chris Evert was the most calm player ever in a crisis - she was totally unflappable, nerves of steel, every opponent had to beat her, she never lost to anyone. Who is her best equivalent in the modern game?
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario was the most combative and competitive player on a point by point basis - she literally refused to cede any ball, ran down everything and in the process drove opponents nuts. Is there anyone around now who would be prepared to cover so much court just to win one point time after time?
StephenUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #155
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
Azarenka? You mean the one with like 2935734058034 retirements/withdrawals in the past 3 years? I don't think so.

Venus and Serena are the tour's ultimate fighters. Look at how many surgeries and heath issues they've gone through; the fact that they still have the will to play is amazing.
Personally I'd attribute coming back from serious injuries more to desire and passion for the game than fight. When you talk about fighting on court (which was the point of this thread), there are 3 players sticking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post
Azarenka on the other hand, I will always maintain, is not mentally strong. I've said it a million times, it's easy to look like a mental giant when you are WINNING. How she handles someone outplaying her is nearly always atrocious.
She was extremely atrocious in handling the first set loss against Serena USO '12, Li AO'13, Sharapova USO '12, Cibulkova Miami '12, Kerber YEC '12, Li Madrid '12, Zvonareva AO '10, etc off the top of my head.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #156
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Serena, Vika, Sara.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #157
country flag Ntosake

Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute Ntosake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEFIST View Post
To the extent that racism was/is a factor in both careers, yes, but that's as far as it goes. The degree of the racism experienced is orders of magnitude apart. And aside from that, Jackie and Serena are VERY different - both personally and professionally.

It's a well known fact that Jackie was asked by Branch Rickey to keep his mouth shut for three years, take the shit that would come his way, citing it was for the greater good. If Jackie was "well behaved" then it would open the door for other black players. Jackie, by and large, cooperated and held his tongue. As a side note: this was contrary to Jackie's character as a "take no shit" hot head, and many feel that this is what led him to an early grave. Of course, after three years, Jackie let the cap off and was cursin' white players out, spikin' 'em if need be and basically fought back

Serena, on the other hand, came into the game not holding anything back. Talkin' big and backin' it up. There was nothing, demuring, modest or reserved about her. THAT'S why much of the establishment had a problem with her. They were looking for Jackie Robinson and got Serena J. Williams.

Personally, Jackie Robinson was a very vocal conservative. Yes I know. More blacks were Republicans back then, etc, etc, which is why I didn't say he was "Republican." He was CONSERVATIVE. He was very critical of Paul Robeson helping to organize unions and testified before HUAC regarding the issue.

In addition, Jackie, while a good ball player, outside of gargantuan historical contribution to the game, couldn't be considered an ATG on the level of Serena Williams. There were plenty of black players at that time who had more ability than Jackie. Serena, we all know, is peerless.

Also, the level of crap that has come Serena's way doesn't even remotely compare and is almost rendered meaningless when looking at the sea of shit that Jackie had to wade through for the first several years of his career.

There was a time when I thought the best comparison to Serena was Ali, but even that isn't accurate any more. I've now come to believe that there is no parallel to Serena in the sports world. She occupies a slot uniquely hers. She has carved out a kind of "new space" in athletic typology.
Excellent post once again.

The key word in the op's initial question is fighter, singular. So if I had to pick just one, it is Serena Williams.
Ntosake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #158
country flag MrProdigy555
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break My Rapture View Post
Personally I'd attribute coming back from serious injuries more to desire and passion for the game than fight. When you talk about fighting on court (which was the point of this thread), there are 3 players sticking out.

She was extremely atrocious in handling the first set loss against Serena USO '12, Li AO'13, Sharapova USO '12, Cibulkova Miami '12, Kerber YEC '12, Li Madrid '12, Zvonareva AO '10, etc off the top of my head.
Losing a set isn't what would make her a weaker fighter, it's what she does AFTER she loses those sets, especially when being blown out. She fights harder, she steps up to the occasion, so I don't really understand what you're getting at with these examples...

Fuck y'all
MrProdigy555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #159
country flag Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Losing a set isn't what would make her a weaker fighter, it's what she does AFTER she loses those sets, especially when being blown out. She fights harder, she steps up to the occasion, so I don't really understand what you're getting at with these examples...
Someone's sarcasm detector is soooo out of order or just never existed in the first place ...

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #160
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Precisely my point tho.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #161
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break My Rapture View Post
Precisely my point tho.
She shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence let alone thread as Maria and Serena in this department. Seriously, I don't know if you're like 80% Vika 20% Maria nowadays but her injury BS against Maria last year was the icing on the cake. Extremely injured in Stuttgart (righto) and the YEC disaster in which she was...fatigued? Dead. Real mental giant. Not saying she isn't a gritty fighter...just saying the isn't in the same vicinity as the other two atm.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #162
Cookiecrusher

Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future

Errani.

I swear it baffles me how many times has she grinded out wins, she just fights for every ball like there's no tomorrow.

Djokovic Wawrinka Gasquet del Potro

Also good luck to Jankovic, Vesnina, Stosur, Pennetta, Kerber and Halep
Cookiecrusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #163
country flag Crunchy Booboo

Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of Crunchy Booboo has much to be proud of

Kerber She runs down everything like her life depends on it.

Crunchy Booboo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #164
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

1. viktoria

2. sara

3. serena

4. tamira

i thought this was settled way back?

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #165
country flag pancake

pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
1. viktoria

2. sara

3. serena

4. tamira

i thought this was settled way back?

"Settled"? Like we all had a meeting together to have the discussion and came up with the result you posted? It's called "opinion" and everyone has a different one.
pancake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote