Tennis Forum banner

Rank the top 10 players from "BBB" to "pusher"

14K views 91 replies 57 participants last post by  Andy. 
#1 ·
In other words, rank the players from the most aggressive to the most defensive.

Here's the current top 10 for those who already forgot: ;)

1. Azarenka
2. Sharapova
3. S. Williams
4. A. Radwanska
5. Kerber
6. Errani
7. Li Na
8. Kvitova
9. Stosur
10. Wozniacki

#2 ·
1. Kvitova
2. Li
3. Azarenka
4. Stosur
5. Sharapova
6. Serena (Serena is the most powerful ballbasher of them all, the thing is, she doesn't miss, that's why she's so good :lol:)
7. Kerber
8. Wozniacki
9. Radwanska
10. Errani

#49 ·
1. Kvitova
2. Li
3. Azarenka
4. Stosur
5. Sharapova
6. Serena (Serena is the most powerful ballbasher of them all, the thing is, she doesn't miss, that's why she's so good :lol:)
7. Kerber
8. Wozniacki
9. Radwanska
10. Errani
No way. Sam, Sharapova, Serena, all definitely above her.

#6 ·
Discussing that would probably be worth a thread on its own but I think it's clear what it meant.

#7 ·
Here's my list:

1. Kvitova
2. Li
3. Sharapova
4. Williams
5. Stosur
6. Azarenka
7. Kerber
8. Radwanska
9. Errani
10. Wozniacki

#9 ·
1. Kvitova
2. Li

Those two play like they've never heard of controlled aggression, I understand Petra's reason to do it, but I don't understand Li at all.

3. Sharapova
4. Serena (she blows them all off the court without playing her most aggressive tennis)
5. Azarenka
6. Stosur
7. Kerber
8. Errani
9. Radwanska
10. Woz

#10 ·
1. Kvitova
2. Li
3. Williams
4. Sharapova
5. Stosur
6. Azarenka
7. Kerber
8. Radwanska
9. Wozniacki
10. Errani

#13 ·
Sam is more aggressive than Serena and Maria? :unsure:

1. Kvitty (Kvitty and Na are as brainless as each other but Kvitty hits much bigger and much flatter)
2. Na

3. Rena (uses first strike tennis more often than Masha, but more content to rally than Kvitty and Na)
4. Masha

5. Sam (uses defensive slices too much to be considered anywhere near as aggressive as Rena/Maria)
6. Vika

7. Kerber

8. Errani (utilizes the net very often compared to Wozniacki)
9. Woz
10. Aga (she was on the defensive more often than not vs. Errani and Wozniacki)

that said I prefer watching Aga more than Errani/Woz

#14 ·
By the way, Errani is capable of attacking properly when she gets a short ball, she likes coming forward too, she's going for her shots whenever she can. I have no idea why she's #10 on most of the lists here.

#15 ·
1. Kvitova
2. Stosur
3. Sharapova
4. Li (she can be brainless, but she's not really a ballbasher when she's on her game)
5. Serena (she's a ballbasher, but not brainless)
6. Azarenka
7. Kerber
8. Radwanska
9. Errani
10. Wozniacki

The last 3 are basically interchangeable.

#16 ·
1. Kvitova
2. Li
3. Sharapova
4. Williams
5. Stosur
6. Azarenka
7. Radwanska
8. Kerber
9. Errani
10. Wozniacki

#23 ·
Has been there any player who was more aggressive than Kvitova in the top 10 before? Maybe only Pierce but she was as aggressive as Petra not more I think. :scratch:

#24 ·
1. Kvitova
2. Li [brainless]
3. Sharapova
4. Stosur
5. Serena
6. Azarenka [power pusher]
7. Kerber [can take her opportunities]
8. Errani
9. Radwanksa RUN RUN RUN :oh:
10. Wozniacki

actually when you look at it our top 10 is pretty nicely balanced

[ballbashers - aggressors]
kvitova, li, masha, stosur

[multi-talented]
serena

[power pushers]
vika, kerber

[pusher - defenders]
aga, errani, woz

#27 ·
Li
Kvitova
Sharapova
Stosur. Hard one, I dont consider her a ballbasher but deffo brainless sometimes
Serena
Azarenka
Kerber
Radwanska
Errani
Wozniacki

#28 ·
I do think the difference between aggressive play and bashing is key.

Petra is an aggressive player and tries to finish points quickly. But she mixes up her shots a lot, hitting plenty of slices and net play (like drop volleys).

Maria is far less likely to mix up her play (rarely slices for example), and tends to wear her opponent down with consistent power - much more 'bash bash bash' style (but usually controlled, only sometimes brainless).

I'd put Maria & Li as top bashers, but Petra is more aggressive cos of her tendency to come forward more often. All of them can hit bucketloads of errors (brainless style) when off-form - but all can rein the errors right in when on-form.

#29 ·
1. Kvitova
2. Na
3. Sharapova
4. Serena
5. Azarenka
6. Stosur
7. Errani
8. Kerber
9. Radwanska
10. Wozniacki

#30 · (Edited)
Bash or push - whatever it takes to win. It's not figure skating where you are judged by style.

Anyway, this is my list:
1. Kvitova - a force with no brain. Close your eyes and hit as hard as possible. Sometimes it will make the court.
2. Sharapova - a smaller version of Azarenka - less force and less brain. However, much bigger spirit and persistence.
3. Azarenka - a smaller force than Kvitova's, but with some brain.

Bottom of the list:
8. Radwanska - no force, but excellent brain and defense. Master of smart attacks.
9. Errani - typical Italian catenaccio.
10. Wozniacka - no attacking skills at all, no brain, just push the ball over. Run down your opponent.

The problem with ball bashers is their self-confidence. To hit the ball hard with accuracy requires a lot of confidence. And that is not always present. Unless your name is Serena...

--

#32 ·
kvitova (when her shots don't go in it's a nightmare, no plan b)
li na (same situation as kvitova but can counterpunch to an extent)
serena(serena uses controlled aggression, which means she can hit big when she wants but will rally when needed)
sharapova ( content to hit big off both wings but not so well on the move; more consistent than Na, petra and serena)
stosur(only reason i put her here is because she hits the forehand very big, but i wouldn't call her a complete bbb)
azarenka(takes the ball early but prefers to use consistency rather than hit big)
kerber (uses power against bbb, counterpunches well and defends well)
errani(no real power at all uses slices and heavy topspin as well as defense.
wozniacki(relies the most on defensive skills to win matches but she can get some acceleration on her backhand)
radwanska (relies on defensive skills, dropshots, touch and guile; no power)

#33 ·
kvitova (when her shots don't go in it's a nightmare, no plan b)
li na (same situation as kvitova but can counterpunch to an extent)
serena(serena uses controlled aggression, which means she can hit big when she wants but will rally when needed)
sharapova ( content to hit big off both wings but not so well on the move; more consistent than Na, petra and serena)
stosur(only reason i put her here is because she hits the forehand very big, but i wouldn't call her a complete bbb)
azarenka(takes the ball early but prefers to use consistency rather than hit big)
kerber (uses power against bbb, counterpunches well and defends well)
errani(no real power at all uses slices and heavy topspin as well as defense.
wozniacki(relies the most on defensive skills to win matches)
Such a good post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.