Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donna Vekic

464K views 5K replies 122 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
I know it's very early for a thread, but time will tell. Judging by this article:

http://www.glas-slavonije.hr/vijest.asp?rub=6&ID_VIJESTI=119156

she could be really something. 13 y.o. and already in an IMG London Academy, made it to slam junior qualies in just a few months on the circuit etc. Hope she's a future star.

#3,854 ·
A really solid win here, well done Donna!

But that was sort of expected if you ask me and now the real deal :devil: I won't expect anything from this match, cause Donna is a clear underdog, but no one can deny that she does have a shot. How good of a shoot is difficult to predict cause unlike Ana she won't have Iva Majoli at her bench advising her and calming her whenever necessary. A great thing is that Donna was watching Ana play her so she has a pretty good idea what to expect - the downside is of course that Ula probably had a chance to see her as well.

Anyway, it'll definately be interesting, hopefully entertaining, hopefully with a live stream...probably wishful thinking...

Good luck D :wavey:

#3,858 ·
No problem - these talks of schedule can be confusing, for instance, to me LSH says Wednesday but just before midnight (Croatian time) so I guess it all depends on where you are :lol: Anyway, Tereza's match is also listed but I'm kind of pissed they're both so late; not sure I'll make it to see them :fiery:

Oh well, the important thing is that they both win, even if we can't see it happening...;)

#3,864 ·
I really hope that I'm wrong and it looks I am so far :lol:

All our girls are on stream today: first Lucic, Mrdeza, Vekic and on the end Jurak in doubles :bounce:

Lucic - around 19.30
Mrdeza - 23h
Vekic - 00.30h
Jurak - around 02.30h
:bounce: good luck girls :)!

Can't wait to see Donna (and Lucic ) :)

#3,872 ·
She sure is a talent, but "huge" is such a big word, when i read that i think of Seles, Capriati, Hingis, Serena etc. I just don't see anything in her game that would make her that great. It's not about climbing on the WTA rankings list this year, it's about becoming a serious contender for winning a grand slam in the future, and i'm not so sure she will (will be very happy if she proves me wrong). On the other hand Jankovic and Wozniacki were no.1 in the world so Donna winning a grand slams wouldn't be a miracle.

#3,878 ·
I can see her having big problems on clay with this type of game

Ula was very good today but Donna's moving was very very bad and that bad call at the end of fist set was very unfortunate

At the beginning of this match commentator said that Donna is very interested in fashion, parties , media , giving interviews there in Mexico and stuff like that ... I'm afraid that Donna feels like some top20 played because of all this attention she gets lol :) That's why these lost matches against BMS, Vesnina and Ula might help her realize that she has a lot of work in front of her to improve her game , media attention doesn't mean anything

EDIT
Bad day for our girls lol

Lucic 2nd set 16
Tereza 16 16
Donna 2nd set 16

#3,881 ·
A little disppointed the score couldn't have been closer, but it's still a valuable step in Donna's learning path. As I didn't see the match I can't really comment on much, however based on what you guys say it seems like the match wasn't anything we haven't seen already from Donna - too slow, too passive...kind of expected. I wonder what are their plans for up until RG, cause it's a tricky part of the season for her, but she should definately play at least another event this month as she hasn't played a whole lot this year. This was her 10th Tour match this season and she'll have to do better in terms of point accumulation cause it's already early April and she is at 221 point. It means that if she'd continue at the same pace she'd end the year with under 900 points and ranked around #70 - that ain't bad but it's far from where she'd like to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.