Tennis Forum banner

Indonesian tennis

207K views 3K replies 72 participants last post by  coetzergambill 
#1 ·
I am making this thread since Indonesian tennis has been maintaining its glory particularly in Asia from 1960s until now and in the modern era with the emergence of Yayuk Basuki to sneaked into top 20 WTA in 1997! And I am personally believe that 2003 is the beginning for Indonesia to go back to basic by focusing more on quality development for its young players despite of many controversies!!! I dedicate this thread for Indonesian crazy fans home and abroad!!! Go, Indonesian tennis!!! :cool: :wavey:

#152 ·
Hi everyone... :wavey:
may be some of you remember me from the FedCup thread... me wanna join here as indonesian tennis fans... :)

will there be the 2nd leg of junior tournament in June? i'll be at jkt at that time.. hopefully i can meet one of you there..? ;)

Nadia

#155 ·
NaF said:
Sure Henry.... i remember you.. :)

do you go back to Indonesia on regular basis? have you ever watched the Australian Open?
I haven't go back for about 2.5 years now :( Last time I planned to go back in April (early this month), but I cancelled it due to SARS issue :(
I have been to Australian Open 3 times, 2000, 2002, and 2003 How about you? You are the one lived in Sydney right?

#156 ·
Hi! nice to see this thread and i haven't join in. by the way guys, do you feel that we should have that Jakarta/Surabaya tournament back? or should we just divide the money and held about 5 $10,000 tournaments. 2 $25,000 and 1 $50,000. what do you think??

#157 ·
Um back!

rhz said:
Hi! nice to see this thread and i haven't join in. by the way guys, do you feel that we should have that Jakarta/Surabaya tournament back? or should we just divide the money and held about 5 $10,000 tournaments. 2 $25,000 and 1 $50,000. what do you think??
Nice to see you rhz and Nadia! Nadia, ru the one in Singapore now? You mentioned that 2nd leg of junior tournament in June - it is "Hemaviton Challenge" organized by Yayuk Basuki, isn't it? I hope, it will be on schedule! I am afraid that I am still gonna be very busy with business travels to Surabaya, Medan & Makassar until June...I'd love to be there, too and it would be fun to meeting you!

rhz - what do you mean by "we should have that Jakarta/Surabaya tournaments back"? You mean Danamon Open in Jakarta USD 140,000 and Surabaya Wismilak USD 110,000 or these 2 10Ks Jakarta and Surabaya? Next August, we will have 2 more 10Ks in Bandung & Jakarta again. IMO, we need to go through the process again - 4 of 10Ks are enough, then we need to have 2 with USD 25,000 and 1 with USD 50,000 or 75,000! That would be good for our condition with endless monetary crisis...8 of 10Ks in Indonesia, it would be perfect as India have more tourneys...Oh, well...all is in MW's hands! She has the power!

I heard that PELTI may have 50,000 tourney this year but they are still debating where to have it - Jakarta or Surabaya...I think, Tarakan in East Kalimantan is ready - they have brand new indoor tennis courts!

#159 ·
Hi Adjie nice to see you here!! :wavey:

Hi rhz and Nadia!!

Hi Felix!

IMO we should have a Tier IV/V tournament in Jakarta... :drool: and maybe plus a 10k tournament...

Btw, INDONESIA will meet GERMANY in WG Pay-Offs fed cup...

#161 ·
Hi everyone..!!

yeah, INA will face Germany in home soil... i wonder if it's gonna be in Jakarta... cos if it is, i wanna watch!! hopefully i can meet some of you then??

Adji, yes i'm the one in Singapore.. i read about the Hemaviton challenge.. and it'll be so cool if i can watch it too... :) Please inform me about it later on, ok??

thanks..!! :D

#162 ·
Go, Indonesian boys! Essen, here we come!

Junior Davis Cup team of Indonesia is qualified for world group in Essen, Germany which is scheduled to be in September! :wavey:

Our team is consisted of Sunu Wahyu Trijati, Anthony Tan & Sandy Purnomo and today in SF - Indonesia will play against Taiwan! 4 semi-finalists are automatically going to Essen as reps of Asia Oceania group.The other two nations are India and South Korea.

In group qualifying rounds, Indonesia won 3-0 against Hong Kong & 2-0 against New Zealand and yesterday in QF - Indonesia outclassed Uzbekistan 2-1!

It is nice to have Asian Games gold medalist - Yustedjo Tarik as their coach this time. Sunu, Anthony & Sandy must call him uncle Yustedjo then...Good luck, Indonesia today against the entourage of leader Chiang Kai Shek! :wavey:

Meanwhile, for next week - good luck to Junior Fed Cup team - Ayu Fani Damayanti, Joana Febri & Lavinia Tananta to compete in qualifying round of Asia Oceania in Kuala Lumpur, the land of aaron & Allison! Good to know that Ayu, Jojo, Vini have been warmed up a bit in this week's Jakarta 10K! Good experience for these young girls after all! Go, fight and win - the three gals from Bali, Bojonegoro & Semarang!!! :D

#163 ·
Great to be the hosting country!

Great to know that we are gonna host Germany for Fed Cup play-off in Jakarta! Based on the news - MW aka Mama War - PELTI will decide soon which court to be used on July 19-20...Possibilities are: rebound ace indoor stadium in Senayan but by opening its roof top (but I heard that due to lack of maintenance, its roof cannot be opened anymore! Indonesia is notorious in its incapability for maintaning things properly...such a waste! :eek: :eek: :eek: )...or Senayan clay court being covered by board to be plexi pave or hard court in Kemayoran Tennis Center! :confused:

According to Suzanna "grandma player" Anggarkusuma - she will consult with Angie & Wynne first in choosing courts...But for sure, she said that Angie does not like to play clay in Senayan as well as indoor...We'll see! I would love to see German players to play outside under hot and scorching sun in the month of July of our life...Based on the news - Wynne has won twice against Anca Barna in French Open and Canadian Open while lost to Weingartner in Sydney.

I really have to be there to cheer Angie & Wynne!!! It will be great if Nadia, Amri can come and join, too...We can sit together and be loud! hahaha...I am really looking forward to be situated in the atmosphere of Fed Cup match again...last time back in 1997 when we were trashed by Italy 0-5 in Senayan indoor stadium! It will be great honor and opportunity to watch our beloved players like Angie & Wynne with our own eyes... :bounce: :hearts: :eek: It is gonna be so real and so cool! Our emotions would be involved...I just really can't wait!!! Bravo, INDONESIA!!! Go for it, girls! I am so proud of you...Last but not least, let's pray for best health for Angie & Wynne until that moment after long and rigorous Europe tour! Worst come to worst, we may have to see Mama War partnered with Suzanna...LOL! :p :eek:

#164 ·
Yeah I would come too!!!! 19-20 July is my holiday time!! :bounce: we should bring big poster to cheer them!!! :bounce:

#165 ·
From Senayan with smash!

Congrats, Indonesian Junior Davis Cup Team after knocked down Taiwan 2-1 in SF yesterday... :wavey:

Anthony Tan def. Lien Chia Chin 64 64
Sunu Wahyu Trijati def. Chang Huai En 64 61
Sandy Purnomo/Anthony Tan retired after 23 due to Anthony's nose problem...Gee, Anthony has big health problem!!! The other day his thigh and now his bloody nose! Do something with your body, Anthony or you will not be in good condition for final against South Korea! In other SF, South Korea downed India 2-1...Go, INDONESIA!!! :bounce:

Congrats to Sandy/Septi for being RU in the final of 10K yesterday. Not bad for the 1st time and duo SS received prize money of $ 350!!! While Chia Jung/Hsuan got $ 650!

In the meantime for Surabaya's 10K - wild cards are given to Septi Mende, Maya Rosa Stefanie & Dian Mayasari - the princess from Tulungagung, East Java! Good luck, girls - go, at least to 2nd round and for Maya repeat your QF again if possible! Maya, "Embong Sawo" is your home - so, play the best!

#166 ·
After 7 years of waiting!

Since Junior Davis Cup event has been held in 1985 - Indonesia has been qualified into world group for 6 times - 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995 & 1996. The best performance by Indonesia was in 1992 when Indonesia finished at 7th out of 16 countries and it was held in Spain. The last one was in 1996 and Indonesia finished at 14th out of 16 nations and it was held in Switzerland. So what a coincidence - after 7 years of waiting - Sunu, Anthony & Sandy are going there for the 7th times and maybe we will be finished at 7th again? 7 is lucky number? We will see!!! :wavey: :D :bounce:

#167 ·
Great job Indonesian Junior Davis Cup Team

Congratulations for being the winner of Asia Oceania zone for Junior Davis Cup!

Indonesia def. South Korea 2-0 in final!

Anthony Tan def. Kim A Ram 75 62
Sunu W Trijati def. Kim Hyun Joon 62 62
Doubles match was not played since Korean player was injured! :bounce: :wavey:

So, by being the winner, hopefully Indonesia will be seeded in Essen later in September.

PELTI plans to host both Asia Oceania qualifying round for Junior Davis Cup and Junior Fed Cup next year!

Again congrats to Sunu, Anthony, Sandy and coach, Yustedjo Tarik!!! :bounce:

#169 ·
Quick development on the court!

The other day, MW said for Fed Cup match btw INA and GER in July, it iwll be played in Senayan rebound ace indoor stadium. But today, I read in the newspaper that "Gelora Bung Karno" Management has decided to built a brand new plexi pave/hard court over the current clay stadium in Senayan! Wow!!! What a commitment! They promised to be finished by July 1st!!! Interesting! So, I guess GBK Management accomodated the players' wishes to play outdoor hard court! Well, good luck in building it and indeed MW is quite happy coz PELTI nonned to chip in any RUPIAHS at all!

#170 ·
good for Indonesian tennis! ;)

#171 ·
I thought Senayan already had harcourt complex....

does this mean we wouldn't have the gravel court anymore? will they cover every gravel court or just few of them???

anyway... i really wanna watch the play-off... even if it means i have to extend my stay in Jkt.. ;)

#172 ·
Plexi pave for Fed Cup in Jakarta!!!

PELTI thanks to "Gelora Bung Karno" Management...GBKM decided to change Senayan clay court stadium to be plexi pave by July 1st! It is sad in a way since this clay stadium has been witnessing so many historical moments such as Davis Cup, Wukirasih defeated Tammy for gold medal in SEA Games 1997 etc...On the other, GBKM relizes that Jakarta needs to have more solid hard court...But though this pp court is finished on time for Fed Cup...I wonder if they also built pp court outside...So far, there are 14 clay courts outside and 8 rebound ace courts outside...They need to have pp court outside for practice! Good thing that GBKM is sensitive to the players' wishes to play on outdoor hard courts...Go Angie & Wynne...it will be tough for you two since you have to play singles and doubles for 2 days in July!!! :wavey:

#173 ·
Grungy and grumpy!

First of all, Junior Fed Cup team - Ayu Fani Damayanti, Joana Febri Andriani and Lavinia Tananta only finished in the 6th place in its Asia Oceania qualifying round in KL, Malaysia! It is proven that these three players are still lacking of international competition. No doubt about their talents!

Complete results of Indonesia:

Lost 1-2 to Thailand
Won 2-1 against South Korea
Won 3-0 against Hong Kong

QF: lost 0-3 to better Japan and finally finished at 6th by defeating NZ 2-1!!!

MW is on the news again by gracefully forcing "Gelora Bung Karno" Management to change clay stadium to become plexi pave just for Fed Cup match against Germany on July 19-20. Several former national players such as Yayuk Basuki, Wailan Walalangi and Abdul Kahar MIM voiced their opinions by opposing the plan to demolish this historical clay stadium! Yup, this stadium has witnessed so many important events: Davis Cup matches when Indonesia went through world group of 16 nations in 1982 and 1988! And then when Indonesia did clean sweep by bagging 7 gold medals in 1987 SEA Games! Actually, "Gelora Bung Karno" tennis complex has different courts: clay/gravel, rebound ace and just few plexi pave. MW defends that the tennis fans are demanding to be played in Senayan instead of Kemayoran...I think it is rubbish! Indonesian tennis loves to have controversies...That's the dynamic of our tennis...Oh, well...for sure MW is tough cookie! :fiery: :devil:

#175 ·
14 & under - boys and girls, go to OZ!!!

World Junior Tennis 14 & under will be slated in Melbourne, Victoria - Australia from May 19-24, 2003 and this is qualifying round for Asia Oceania zone. The entrants are: Australia, China, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong, India, INDONESIA, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Srilanka (boys only), Thailand & Uzbekistan. The world group matches will be held in the birth land of Martina Hingis in August for its 5th consecutive years!

Indonesian boys team: Agung Bagus Dewantoro (Magelang, Central Java), Fendi Gunawan (Bandung, West Java) & Christopher Rungkat (Jakarta) and coach is Alfred Raturandang.

Indonesian girls team: Mia Sacca (Yogyakarta), Lutfiana AB (Kudus, Central Java) & Vivien Silfany (Palembang, South Sumatera) and coach is former national player and sister of Angie's coach - Lucky Tedjamukti.

Good luck, Indonesian teams! :wavey: :cool:

Henry, I wonder if you are interested to watch!!! :D

#176 ·
Upcoming Junior Tournaments in our own backyard!

Next month, we will have 2 junior tourneys - both only Grade 5!

Pangdam Siliwangi Cup in Bandung - June 17th until 22nd

Thamrin Cup in Jakarta - June 24th until 29th

I bet, lower ranked players like Denise Harijanto, Ayu Fani Damayanti and Joana Febri Andriani are playing in these two tourneys! Too bad, I will be on tours of Indonesia for my research! Oh, well...life goes on... :D :wavey: