Tennis Forum banner

2012 National Indoors

9K views 59 replies 8 participants last post by  fantic 
#1 ·
Selections were posted this morning: http://www.itatennis.com/Events/UST..._Intercollegiate_Championships_Selections.htm

The at-large and wild-card selections to complete the field are:

Brynn Boren (University of Tennessee) - At-Large Selection [Regional Finalist]
Zoe De Bruycker (University of North Carolina) - At-Large Selection [Regional Finalist]
Sofie Oyen (University of Florida) - At-Large Selection [Regional Finalist]
Caroline Rohde-Moe (University of Mississippi) - At-Large Selection [Regional Finalist]
Sabrina Santamaria (University of Southern California) - At-Large Selection [Regional Finalist]
Anett Schutting (University of California, Berkeley) - At-Large Selection [Regional Finalist]
Natalie Beazant (Rice University) - At-Large Selection
Maho Kowase (University of Georgia) - At-Large Selection
Gina Suarez-Malaguti (University of North Carolina) - At-Large Selection
Zsofi Susanyi (University of California, Berkeley) - At-Large Selection
Abigail Tere-Apisah (Georgia State University) - At-Large Selection
Danielle Collins (University of Florida) - USTA Wild Card
Katie Le (Santa Clara University) - USTA Wild Card
Nicole Bartnik (Columbia University) - Columbia [Host] Wild Card

Doubles:
Robin Anderson/Pamela Montez (University of California, Los Angeles) - At-Large Selection
Gabriella DeSimone/Zoe Scandalis (University of Southern California) - At-Large Selection
Stephanie Nauta/Li Xi (University of Virginia) - At-Large Selection
Ashley Dai/Whitney Kay (University of North Carolina) - USTA Wild Card
Bianca Sanon/Tiana Takenaga (Columbia University) - Columbia [Host] Wild Card

Thoughts:

No Gibbs or Capra :sad: Happy to see the wildcards for both Collins and Le though.

It looks like the ITA declined to use its wild-card so there was a 5th at-large for non-regional finalists. Oddly, one of them was somehow awarded to Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) would did not compete in regionals. Granted she is undefeated on the fall and probably deserves it, but not sure how that falls with the stated criteria.

See less See more
#8 ·
The draws are posted on the ITA site: http://www.itatennis.com/Events/USTA-ITA-Championships-Events/NationalIndoors.htm

No Julia Elbaba :( Looks like she was replaced by Whitney Kay.

The seeds seem pretty random.

Singles:
1) Embree
2) Sanchez-Quintanar
3) Scandalis
4) Hardebeck
5) Anderson
6) Mar
7) Macfarlane
8) Herring

Doubles:
1) Christian/Santamaria
2) Boren/Szekely
3) Belaya/Loomans
4) Kopinski/White

In Singles, CSQ vs Danielle Lao highlights round 1 and Embree could face Susanyi in rd 2.

#18 ·
Susanyi def. Embree 6-1, 6-1

Not surprised at the result but the scoreline is pretty shocking.

I know Anderson and Hardebeck are still alive, but I am starting to get the feeling that this tournament is going to have another Mather-like finalist. Maybe Boren or Herring?

#22 ·
Even further out, Oyen or Schutting, one of them will be there. That's preseason 22 for Schutting, 32 for Oyen.

I still wanna how Susanyi was not seeded. Come on, she is ranked AHEAD of Embree in the preseason rankings. Susanyi is 5. Robin is ranked 3, but seeded 5?

Oh, ITA, you continue to befuddle and amuse. I agree, the Anderson-Susanyi winner should take it, but who knows.

Sofie is having a fantastic fall.

#21 ·
Oyen avenged both of her losses this year in 1 day, now topping Herring 6-3 1-6 6-3.

So the semis are:
[5] Anderson (UCLA) vs Susanyi (CAL)
Schutting (CAL) vs Oyen (UF)

Quite a showing for Cal, duplicating USC's singles performance at All-Americans. Can they do one better?

Pretty confident whoever wins the first semi is going to take it. My money's still on Robin.

#27 ·
I don't think Zsofi's game is especially more aggressive than Lauren :lol: But I didn't watch the match :angel:

Nicole avenges her 3-set loss against Zoe at WAATC, beat her in 2, 4 & 4 in consolation.

And USC is aiming for the repeat title and their 3rd slam against... UVA :eek: I was sure USC and PEPP would duke it out :lol: Stephanie already positioning herself into an elite dbls player (well she WAS in junior)

#25 ·
I was able to swing by the tournament yesterday and have some interesting notes about matches, players, coaches, and teams. For example I think Roland only came to Lauren's aid on one changeover despite the drubbing she received. I know she's a veteran and all but I feel like he left her up to dry. He was spending all his time with Danielle...I never saw Allie Will in person but I think Danielle may be the next diva/brat in training? Or maybe she was just pissed she was missing her bf (pretty sure) who was playing at the same time.

#26 ·
UFGatorFan said:
Even further out, Oyen or Schutting, one of them will be there. That's preseason 22 for Schutting, 32 for Oyen.
Yeah, they would both certainly qualify. Particularly surprised by Oyen as I would not have pegged her game as particularly well-suited to indoors. Glad to see she finally starting to live up to the fairly high WTA ranking she came to college with - she is easily my favorite UF player to watch.

For example I think Roland only came to Lauren's aid on one changeover despite the drubbing she received. I know she's a veteran and all but I feel like he left her up to dry.
This is no different than any time I have seen UF. I believe Lauren doesn't like to be coached during her matches. Roland and Dave pretty much just leave her to figure things out and it has proven a pretty successful strategy for the most part, even if it didn't work out yesterday.

#30 ·
I was at the tournament this morning and saw Xi/Nauta of UVA defeat the Pepperdine team, as well as Vierra/Epstein defeat the whiny Penn doubles team. I'm excited that tomorrow we'll have an all UVA-USC for the womens dubs championships and consolation final.

The Pepperdine team was not playing badly at all. In fact they were very solid at the net and volleyed effectively to put away most winners. They were consistent, but not spectacular in terms of producing big groundstrokes. UVA on the other hand had a very slow start. Xi was mishitting her volleys and spraying balls, while the freshman Nauta made less errors. Nauta has a huge serve - her down-the-line serve really made the difference. UVA became more comfortable and they started hitting huge forehand winners down the line. Both Xi and Nauta have big groundstrokes, compared to the Pepperdine team.

Now on to Vierra/Epstein, I think experience was the major difference here. The Penn team was not very experienced and they didn't have weapons at all to hurt UVA. Vierra/Epstein were really consistent and took more chances to put away balls. Eskenazi, the Argentinean, played a lot of topspin and slices which weren't that effective indoors. Vierra put away a lot of balls at the net. There were a couple of instances were Eskenazi and Vierra bitched at each other. In one instance, Vierra contested a call and Eskenazi said to her, "I told you 500 times it was out!" On matchpoint, Eskenazi's partner, Latycheva, hit a first served that looked out and Vierra called it out. The Penn team became whiny and started arguing that the first serve was not out. The point was over after the second serve, and the Penn team did not want to shake hands. But Vierra offered to shake hands anyway, haha. I didn't know that girls could be this bitchy!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.