Mom Demands School Go Peanut-Free For Allergic Child - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
Mom Demands School Go Peanut-Free For Allergic Child

This is a tricky situation for both sides:

The parents of a 10-year-old boy with a very serious peanut allergy are suing Livonia Public Schools.

Kathy Williams said her son, Nick, could die if exposed to peanuts.

She told WWJ Newsradio 950′s Marie Osborne that the district has failed to protect him.

“We had asked them to go peanut and tree nut-free, and their response to us was, due to the upset in the community and the backlash from other parents, we refuse to change practices,” Williams said.

“‘Why should we have to do this for one child?’ ‘I don’t really care if your child dies; my child’s getting the cupcake.’ ‘Why don’t you keep him at home? He doesn’t deserve to be here,’” Williams said.

full: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/04/...llergic-child/

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 27th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #2
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mom Demands School Go Peanut-Free For Allergic Child

if you had to remove every possible allergen from public places, you should better kill the whole population, it goes faster and error-free

I am sorry for the lady, but it would create a precedent everyone could call upon and it would lead to a complete mess

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #3
country flag wild.river

wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute wild.river has a reputation beyond repute

she should sue the city next for not making the whole city peanut free.
wild.river is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #4
country flag Miss Atomic Bomb

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

She can fuck right off.

Not solely related to this, but I absolutely hate how some parents have this huge sense of entitlement and think that just because they successfully bred a few times, everyone else should share in with their child raising problems. Its not our fucking responsibility and if you cannot bear it then dont breed like randy rabbits.

Wish more parents were like these people who replied to that article-

Quote:

I disagree with her.

My children attend the same Livonia Public Schools and the schools make it VERY clear of the allergies of others so much that my children remind us often when we pack their lunch. The schools have a separate table for children with allergies. If he’s in an isolated room with “cinder block walls,” then she probably requested that arrangement.

If her child has an extreme allergy and she doesn’t like the school’s arrangement, then she needs to make other arrangements to safeguard her child whether it be a special school or be at school herself during lunch.

As parents, we need to teach our children that they need to learn to protect themselves in this world. Parents shouldn’t try to change the rules for everyone to protect their child. It doesn't work.
Quote:
My brother who is now 28 years old, has cerebral palsy and also has a severe peanut allergy was taught as well as the family what he has to stay away from. If someone with cerebral palsy can live a life with peanut products always around him I'm sure an elementary student can. We never had a peanut free home, we never demanded the school to remove peanuts. This is absolutely ridiculous how parents and school systems are getting on board with this. So if one of my children were allergic to bread, fruit snacks, or milk (basics of a kids lunch) I should demand the school not allow other children who aren't allergic not to bring these things to school?

Last edited by Miss Atomic Bomb : Apr 27th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #5
country flag Expat

Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Does she have a right to demand peanut free food and environment? I think she does. Its the same as demanding gun free schools for the sake of children's safety even though many parents would support guns on school. In both cases children's lives are at stake.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #6

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
Does she have a right to demand peanut free food and environment? I think she does. Its the same as demanding gun free schools for the sake of children's safety even though many parents would support guns on school. In both cases children's lives are at stake.
what if there's a kid with the so called "sun allergy", which makes him/her unable to get in contact with too bright lights? Does the school have to be done in the absolute darkness?

and the difference between a gun and a peanut is quite big actually

Old Apr 27th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #7
country flag Expat

Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Kitten View Post
what if there's a kid with the so called "sun allergy", which makes him/her unable to get in contact with too bright lights? Does the school have to be done in the absolute darkness?

and the difference between a gun and a peanut is quite big actually
She has a point on which to sue. Whether it gets her anywhere is another issue. Whether guns or peanuts the underlying logic is the same. Children's safety. Peanuts is a small issue for you and a big issue for her.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
She has a point on which to sue. Whether it gets her anywhere is another issue. Whether guns or peanuts the underlying logic is the same. Children's safety. Peanuts is a small issue for you and a big issue for her.
I might agree on that, but a gun can kill indistinctively, a peanut might kill "only" her. In the case they take her issue as valid it would be a rule/law "ad personam", which is anywhere a bad move...if you don't want that to be a rule of that kind, then, you have to accept every claim of the kind, hence banning every food-material that can cause an allergic reaction to any student. Moreover it's not like she's forced to eat it or anything, it's about giving her the chance not to get in contact to the food and in the worst case have personal trained to help her.

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #9
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see the logic of where you are coming from, but surley you can appreciate that there is more differences than similarities of the issue ? and this is bordering on a "nanny state"

Food allergies run rampant with kids, wouldn't it be easier for the school board/the school itself to set aside special meal requirements for the kid ?, Similar to kids who are Muslim or Jewish with their dietary requirements, or when you choose your meal requirement son an air craft ?

If this was the case, I'd be seeing a pretty sad school lunch menu because of all the items which are prohibited due to the kids having some sort of allergy to them.

I think the response should come from the parents, why go through all this mud and dirt when it would be more efficient to make a packed lunch for the kid, or for the school to offer an alternative.

Win/Win, everyone wins.
ranfurly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #10
country flag Onslow

Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of Onslow has much to be proud of

she is nuts danger to her son...
Onslow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote