Tennis Forum banner

tennis racquets recommendation

14K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Ryan Rogen 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am an athlete and recently i started to play tennis. Today the trainer told me that the racket i have is not for me as i am too strong ...

He recommended me a store to buy the racket but did not give me any tips about how to get one that will match me best.

I was considering K Factor FX but couldn't find the exact model that Federer uses for the tournaments.

Btw, do you think that Wilson really make the best rackets and should i check the other vendors as well (Babolat, Head etc.) ?

Thanks!

#2 ·
If you recently started tennis, DO NOT buy Federer's racket. It is too control based and will not help you with the power. It really depends on your level and what you are trying to do with the racket.

However, one racket I recommend that I can't image anyone having trouble with is the Babolat Aero pro drive +, very spin friendly and has enough pop.

#3 ·
He recommended me a store to buy the racket but did not give me any tips about how to get one that will match me best.
Cynical me wonders how much commission your coach gets :lol:.

I was considering K Factor FX but couldn't find the exact model that Federer uses for the tournaments.

Btw, do you think that Wilson really make the best rackets and should i check the other vendors as well (Babolat, Head etc.) ?

Thanks!
All those brands are valuable, they all have various models that suit the different styles of play. As you are a beginner, ask the store's staff for a generic model that is suitable for a beginner. They are generally cheaper and good enough for starting. When you get better and your style is more defined, then you'll think about a more specific model adapted to your game.

#4 · (Edited)
I see .. i thought that i will even spare something if i go for such racket now.
In that case i don't have to buy the another one ... later.

But i guess you know better than me as i am just a n00b. So i will follow your advices and buy the beginner racket and will dream of the Federer's favorite meanwhile. lol

Thank you so much for the valuable advices. It is much appreciated

#5 ·
You are a beginner. Do not play with Federer's racquet or any control oriented racquet. You will have to have almost perfect strokes to play with that kind of racquet and it takes a long time (years) to get there. For now you are going to think about sweet spot and power. You will get those in an oversize O/S racquet.

Find a store that does demos, and take out several O/S racquets, and play for a couple of hours with them. Then write down what you liked.

Do not focus on the brand. Do not focus on using a racquet that any pro has. Think about head size and sweet spot, how the weight feels to you, and the racquet "feel" as you hit the ball. Make sure it feels just as good on serves and volleys as well as groundstrokes.

Take them back and get some more, similar to the ones you liked. Play with these and write down what you liked.

Then after doing this about 3-4 times, you will start to know what you like. Take out all the ones you liked again, and make your decision.

This could take about a month to do. There is no hurry. Just keep demoing until you are SURE you have what you like.

#6 ·
Your story seems fantastic unless the part with finding a store that does demos. I am not sure any of them do that over here.
I mean this is not America. Unfortunately I will have to buy it in the store without testing before.

But, thanks a lot for the advices. It is much appreciated!

#7 ·
Where are you? Macedonia? Um, ok.

Why don't you go to the store, check out all the O/S racquets, check out prices, and make a list of what you think might work for you.

Then you can research that list on the internet (tennis.com I believe has racquet reviews, and tenniswarehouse.com)

Basically you will need a mid-quality, generally well-reviewed, O/S racquet. Have them string it in the middle of the recommended range.

After maybe 1-1.5 years playing, you will have a good idea of what you need next. So plan on keeping it for 1 year minimum.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't know why people are so against control-oriented rackets for beginners. I understand the don't use fed's rackets because its midsize, but you're telling him to play with an oversize? IMO, I would get a midplus racket. I think the Babolat Pure Drive (clijsters) or a Head Radical, those would be a good starter rackets, they are "tweener" rackets basically between control and power. The good thing about those rackets is that if you get better you may not need to switch at all, maybe just add some lead tape to add more weight . I don't like people starting off with oversize rackets because they tend to get lazy since they think they have more room to hit the ball and their form starts to suffer. My 2 cents =)

As far as string goes, synthetic gut around 55 LBS is should be fine. When you get better then maybe switch to poly or a hybrid of poly/syn(gut). As a beginner focus on proper technique/control first and power later =)

#9 · (Edited)
Hello,

I bought Reflex 102 (Babolat) and i went to training after that. Althrough i liked the feeling playing with it the trainer told me that it's a racquet for kids and that i need something better.

Ok it wasn't too pricey so i can simply keep this reflex 102 and buy another one. But what should be my choice for god's sake?

I was training boxing prior tennis and i am really strong (sorry if it sounds silly). I am 102kg and 183cm (pure muscle).

Also, here the money is not the question but when i asked him should i buy a profy racquet like Babolat AeroProDrive, he warned me that it's not good for my elbow ligaments. This is so confusing i must say.

What would be the compromise between Reflex 102 and AeroProDrive. It does not have to be Babolat of course.

Thanks!

#12 ·
Hello,

I am an athlete and recently i started to play tennis. Today the trainer told me that the racket i have is not for me as i am too strong ...

Thanks!
Emphasised it for ya!

#10 ·
Here is your racquet.

http://www.babolat.com/#/tennis/es/products/444

Note that it is listed under "free time" which means "recreational" racquets. If you are just hitting occasionally and for fun, this is fine. If you are taking lessons and playing competitively, you want a higher quality racquet.

=========================

Note its specs - head size is 102 and weight is 09.5 oz. You said you like it, so you want to get osmething with specs close to that. I suggest head size 100-102, and weight 9.5 oz plus (add a little weight). This will give you a lot of options.

Now take note of that data.

Next go to the various websites (Babolat, Wilson, Head, Dunlop - whatever brands are readily and plentifully available in your country) and browse through the selections online. Focus only on the ones in the ranges of the specs we noted. This is just to gain some familiarity.

Then, go to visit the store. Take a look at what is available in these ranges. Talk to the sales people. Hold and swing the racquets. Ask questions.

OK you are on your own now. Good luck. :wavey:

#15 ·
I am a beginner and I have Head Liquid Metal 8 Strung Tennis Racquet . One of my expert friend recommended it . This bargain priced racquet also has vibration dampening technology built into and a very generous head size too. It’s a great racquet for beginner and intermediate level players.It has a very generous sweet spot. There is no better feeling than to be able to slightly mishit a shot and still get a lot of spin and power on the ball.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.