Tennis Forum banner

Ranking Watch

49K views 652 replies 74 participants last post by  kwilliams 
#1 · (Edited)
Where's my old ranking thread gone?

Anyway, with Dementieva's loss today Venus is a shoe in to get back into the top 5.

Here are the current ranking points with each player's performance at last year's AO and the points they won.

Serena 9,195 (W/2000)
Safina 7,600 (F/1400) 6,480
Kuznetsova 6,081 (QF/500) 5,801
Wozniacki 5,875 (3RD/160) 5,995
Dementieva: 5,505 (SF/900) 4,705
Venus: 5,126 (2nd/100)
Azarenka: 4,740 (4th/280)
Jankovic: 3,965 (4th/280)
Zvonareva: 3,560 (SF/900)
Radwanska: 3,450 (1st/5)
Bartoli: 3,325 (QF/500)

Of course most of the players behind Venus could only take her spot by going extremely deep (with Venus losing early) and some need to win the whole thing and it's unlikely that some would win the AO...but you never know. Zvonareva can't overtake Venus even with a win down under.

So, Dementieva is down 800 points because GS results are mandatory. Venus will pass her in the rankings and it'll take a big effort from one of the players behind Venus to get into the top 5 ahead of her. Let's hope Venus can go deep in Melbourne.

As for doubles Venus and Serena have 2,000 points to defend and Bluber only have 500 points to defend. So Venus and Serena can't catch them here and will have to work hard to keep the gap at 1,200 points.

See less See more
#6 ·
well we cant go around the forums talkin about superstitions lol. Lets stop it completely. it makes us sound incredibly old. i can picutr us all walking around hunched over heads down with arms folded and once were hear or see the words Venus and yellow, we lose our wits. lol.

#31 ·
Na Li is the biggest obstacle now,Vee needs those first serves in,control that erratic forehand if she wants to get into the semis .Judging by the match against Schiavonne,I must be honest,I have goose bumps.I hope and pray that the serve improves,the focus is on because Na is such a good player.

#37 ·
Well what do you expect making a statement like that in a Venus forum of all places. We were shocked.

Anyway i think all these "negative" comments r just our way of making it hurt a little less if she loses, (that's right, including Olympus, midnight robber and uranium's comments). It's a defence mechanism. But of course no one wants to admit that ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.