Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 62 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #916
country flag bionic71
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES

bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

Had the pleasure of meeting with Martina at the Aust Open this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2014, 09:15 AM   #917
country flag bionic71

bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute

...Tracy too
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #918
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic71 View Post
Had the pleasure of meeting with Martina at the Aust Open this year.
That's awesome Shane! You must have had the best time ever. Plus you met Christine Maree Evert as well!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #919
country flag bionic71

Howdy Craig, it was fun.
I have Rennae Stubbs and Martina to thank for a great two weeks, both know how to to make a gay man very happy!
Yes I also met Chris Evert a couple of times, unfortunately i was in the players lounge both times and it was a bit off to be taking photos whilst in there.... i was a gibbering mess as you can expect, and wouldn't have been able to coordinate a photograph anyway! She was very sweet though and we had a nice chat. I am going out to the Evert Academy to have a look around and might do one of the adult week long clinics for a bit of a hit. I have a mate that lives in Ft Lauderdale that I've been threatening to visit for a while, so it gives me an excuse to do both.
I had met both Martina and Chris before, back in early 80s when i ball-boyed at the old NSW open at White City. I also met both of them back at the old Kooyong site back in the 80s also..but as a adult it was a much more meaningful experience.
Tracy Austin was a hoot also. x
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #920
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic71 View Post
Howdy Craig, it was fun.
I have Rennae Stubbs and Martina to thank for a great two weeks, both know how to to make a gay man very happy!
Yes I also met Chris Evert a couple of times, unfortunately i was in the players lounge both times and it was a bit off to be taking photos whilst in there.... i was a gibbering mess as you can expect, and wouldn't have been able to coordinate a photograph anyway! She was very sweet though and we had a nice chat. I am going out to the Evert Academy to have a look around and might do one of the adult week long clinics for a bit of a hit. I have a mate that lives in Ft Lauderdale that I've been threatening to visit for a while, so it gives me an excuse to do both.
I had met both Martina and Chris before, back in early 80s when i ball-boyed at the old NSW open at White City. I also met both of them back at the old Kooyong site back in the 80s also..but as a adult it was a much more meaningful experience.
Tracy Austin was a hoot also. x
That's just awesome Shane! I know exactly how you must have felt ... I probably had the same sort of feelings when I met Frankie Durr & Evonne Goolagong etc. Would you get to hit with Chris at Fort Lauderdale? That would be a hoot!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #921
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing with us Bionic71

It's something else to meet numbers 1 to 3 from those golden years.

Of a different note Martina looks so relaxed and happy in that pic. Hopefully she's in a good place in her life now.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #922
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Interview with Martina on Belgian Television about playing in the legends with Kim Clijsters. They won their first match.

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/video...vratilova_intv
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 07:08 PM   #923
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Martina won her first two legend matches at Wimbledon with Selima Sfar
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:20 AM   #924
country flag Wimbledon9

Forgot to tell Martina and Selima Sfar lost the legends doubles final at Wimbledon against Jana Novotna/Barbara Schett. Not bad for a 57 year old with a substitute player.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 05:50 AM   #925
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Forgot to tell Martina and Selima Sfar lost the legends doubles final at Wimbledon against Jana Novotna/Barbara Schett. Not bad for a 57 year old with a substitute player.
It was cool to see how moved Martina was by Petra win. And to see Kvitova also mention Martina in her speech.

Ole softy Navratilova had tears in her eyes.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 05:53 AM   #926
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

PBS has a good series of mini-interviews with Martina on different aspects of her career. I will try to post one each day.

Here is one on the "Scandal" of Being Gay-a reference to the 1981 news that broke around Billie Jean King and then Martina.

http://on.aol.com/video/martina-navr...-gay-517993725

This interview from 2009 provides more context:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THJsBRbJe2U

These interviews are important to me in countering the idea Billie Jean and Martina just woke up one day-came out of the closet, and became gay icons. I'm not sure younger people always get just how terrifying it was for them to leap into the unknown, and how non-straight (pun intended) the path was to the icons they are today.

Even into the mid to late 1980s King was selling the notion that Marilyn Barnett was her one and only affair-and Marilyn happened to be a woman. Martina insisted well into the mid 80s that she was bisexual, not lesbian.

It was much more complicated. The tough process they went through made it possible for others lime Mauresmo to be more open.

Those of us who witnessed the crowd giving her a standing ovation after she lost to Tracy at the 1981 US Open will never forget it. The crowd went wild in supporting her at the end. I wish it was on video.

Last edited by Rollo : Jul 22nd, 2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 03:55 PM   #927
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
PBS has a good series of mini-interviews with Martina on different aspects of her career. I will try to post one each day.

Here is one on the "Scandal" of Being Gay-a reference to the 1981 news that broke around Billie Jean King and then Martina.

http://on.aol.com/video/martina-navr...-gay-517993725

This interview from 2009 provides more context:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THJsBRbJe2U

These interviews are important to me in countering the idea Billie Jean and Martina just woke up one day-came out of the closet, and became gay icons. I'm not sure younger people always get just how terrifying it was for them to leap into the unknown, and how non-straight (pun intended) the path was to the icons they are today.

Even into the mid to late 1980s King was selling the notion that Marilyn Barnett was her one and only affair-and Marilyn happened to be a woman. Martina insisted well into the mid 80s that she was bisexual, not lesbian.

It was much more complicated. The tough process they went through made it possible for others lime Mauresmo to be more open.

Those of us who witnessed the crowd giving her a standing ovation after she lost to Tracy at the 1981 US Open will never forget it. The crowd went wild in supporting her at the end. I wish it was on video.

Today, it might be easy to look back at how each handled this and be critical. But it was truly amazing seeing such public people have to deal with that. Their lives were threatened many times. There are still people whose lives are threatened today. But back then it was so much worse.

I think that it's also important to acknowledge people like Chris and Pam who didn't have to speak out in public support of them, yet they did.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 05:49 PM   #928
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
But it was truly amazing seeing such public people have to deal with that
I remember being amazed that Martina could deal with the circus and function at all. That's about the time period things turned around for her results.

Quote:
I think that it's also important to acknowledge people like Chris and Pam who didn't have to speak out in public support of them, yet they did.
True. I will try and find the letters Tracy and Chris wrote.
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #929
country flag Wimbledon9

The interviews by Makers for AOL were recorded september 2013 at Martina's home I remember Martina had just moved and it was done at the new home. A couple of months later they were published, I think everybody who saw the videos at that time forgot to post them myself included. I was especially moved by all the troubles this family had with the communist.

http://on.aol.com/video/martina-navr...nism-517993735

http://on.aol.com/video/martina-navr...ayer-517993739