No-Ad for All Matches in 2015 - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 07:11 AM   #46
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold
Re: No-Ad for All Matches in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyvan View Post
Strong words from Nicole Gibbs about the new format:

"CL: You were quite vocal against the NCAA format changes proposed two years ago. What are your thoughts on the current proposals?

NG: On the whole, I think that it's terrible for our sport.

The clinching thing doesn't really bother me as much as it has bothered a lot of people. In a lot of ways, I think that's what the individual tournaments are for. You go and try to get matches there, but you try to be one of the first ones off the court [in team matches]. In a way, I played some of my best tennis at NCAAs wanting to get that win. It kind of lights a fire under you. I think the only issue there is it can skew rankings, because a lot of times, the No. 1 players will be grinding for two hours and the rest [of the matches] are 2 and 2. So I think there will be a little bit lost in the sense of rankings, but I don't think that's a huge deal.

I think the no warmup policy, especially for singles, is kind of silly and I think it's going to open up college tennis to more injuries. I know I need those five minutes, even three minutes, when I go on the court to get my body going. It's more of a health concern for me.

As for the no-ad in singles, it's like they're actively trying to ensure no top players are going to come to college. Who is going to look at that seriously and be like, 'oh, I can really get my fitness and my tennis level up to where I need it to be and play on tour'?

So many people, especially on the men's side, look to college for a few years of development and suddenly, well, that's like a complete joke, you're going to play no-ad for four years. How are you then going to come out and play best of five?

I could see the argument that maybe it's good pressure training, but again, not really. The consequences far outweigh the benefits.

I think programs need to get out there and promote their sport, be more accountable to that, rather than trying to change the sport of tennis in order to get viewership.

To me that makes no real sense.

It's going to be very tough to get the caliber of players they have been getting. If the players are tended to, there's going to be a positive reaction from fans, because you're seeing a higher quality of tennis.

I could be looking back two years from now and saying, wow, these were stupid comments, but I think where I'm sitting from now, it makes no sense in terms of development and I think it's going to be harmful to American tennis."

Full interview can be found here: http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/arti...67D9E042EC4CC5. (Once again, Colette does a great job!)
I really don't agree with much of her comment, quite honestly...

First of all, I don't think it's American tennis anymore. Only a handful of D1 schools have mostly American players, while the majority of schools will recruit overseas before going for a 5 star or 4 star player.

As far as caliber players going to college: (1) Usually most of the top 5 juniors turn pro, (2) I can think of so many other reasons for going to college and it is not because they think college provides for a competitive and pro-like structure.

The bottom line is college isn't getting much respect as a serious development tool for players.

Given how most coaches emphasize recruiting over player development, it's no secret that an average college players don't get better, they get worse.

Look at how some of the top college players (current and former) are performing. Often I see them losing to a much younger junior player.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 04:08 PM   #47
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

I

a) agree the USTA is trying to direct the top kids to their Florida training programs and actively preventing those kids from playing college tennis. It's about justifying the millions they have spent on 'elite' player development efforts.

b) the former college players (born since the McEnroe's played when we all had b/w tv) are against it. Even Blake, Isner and the current ladies have ALL blasted this effort.

c) I disagree players get worse in college than in US juniors. A 17 year old blue chip is a still a top level player... yes they would likely beat player a # 5 from a top 50 program also. That's why they are elite.

College tennis at the ranked level is far superior to junior tennis excluding maybe 5-8 juniors each graduating class who then blend right into college tennis (see UCLA). And I recently saw a blue chipper get beat but a # 3 from a mid major. Yes, there are some programs (one of whom is a famous turd in west Texas) that teach moon ball more than development but college tennis is clearly a big jump in hours played and level of play.

Don't go ugly American on who is playing and from where. 75% of college tennis is still American. Your issue is that there are not enough good American players to stock the ranked teams. If you want to watch American kids play moon ball.... just go watch two unranked college teams play. And bring a book.

(Reminds me of watching the parent of a good 5 star US player go ballistic and scream 'what anthem do you play' at a match the year his kid was a senior. Sadly ironic since coach later said the same parent/kid never returned one attempt at recruiting contact and chose 'a bigger name' university. All time record in the players four years vs school dad was upset with '0-4 in team, 0-4 in singles, 1-3 in doubles.' Did dad/player lose because of opportunity: NO, had full ride at the school of 'their' choice. Did dad/player lose because the opponent was foreign: NO, both had equal chance to win playing with same rules and equipment. Did dad/player lose because the coach at the school they chose was not good at this job: MAYBE. Did the dad/player lose because they were not good enough: YES!!! I should add that the kid was very nice person and played # 1 entire career; dad was a nut job).

Personally, I like watching good tennis more than watching American kids playing tennis. Maybe I'm weird.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 05:32 PM   #48
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

On a different note... regards the ITA... I think we have found something they do worse than try to change rules their membership don't want changed!!!

Wow, do they know how to throw an inviting convention:
• Wilson Tennis is sending Eric Butorac as their featured speaker
• The keynote speaker, no doubt offering his decades of knowledge working at the grass root level (that he retired from over a decade ago), is... what for it... DICK GOULD!!!!

If you are a college tennis coach looking for another option, maybe Liberia?

What an awful convention line up. Aside from budgets and the holiday's (which is a good quesiton... why mid December)... who in their right might wants to go to that?
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 10:52 PM   #49
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachman49 View Post
I

a) agree the USTA is trying to direct the top kids to their Florida training programs and actively preventing those kids from playing college tennis. It's about justifying the millions they have spent on 'elite' player development efforts.

b) the former college players (born since the McEnroe's played when we all had b/w tv) are against it. Even Blake, Isner and the current ladies have ALL blasted this effort.

c) I disagree players get worse in college than in US juniors. A 17 year old blue chip is a still a top level player... yes they would likely beat player a # 5 from a top 50 program also. That's why they are elite.

College tennis at the ranked level is far superior to junior tennis excluding maybe 5-8 juniors each graduating class who then blend right into college tennis (see UCLA). And I recently saw a blue chipper get beat but a # 3 from a mid major. Yes, there are some programs (one of whom is a famous turd in west Texas) that teach moon ball more than development but college tennis is clearly a big jump in hours played and level of play.

Don't go ugly American on who is playing and from where. 75% of college tennis is still American. Your issue is that there are not enough good American players to stock the ranked teams. If you want to watch American kids play moon ball.... just go watch two unranked college teams play. And bring a book.

(Reminds me of watching the parent of a good 5 star US player go ballistic and scream 'what anthem do you play' at a match the year his kid was a senior. Sadly ironic since coach later said the same parent/kid never returned one attempt at recruiting contact and chose 'a bigger name' university. All time record in the players four years vs school dad was upset with '0-4 in team, 0-4 in singles, 1-3 in doubles.' Did dad/player lose because of opportunity: NO, had full ride at the school of 'their' choice. Did dad/player lose because the opponent was foreign: NO, both had equal chance to win playing with same rules and equipment. Did dad/player lose because the coach at the school they chose was not good at this job: MAYBE. Did the dad/player lose because they were not good enough: YES!!! I should add that the kid was very nice person and played # 1 entire career; dad was a nut job).

Personally, I like watching good tennis more than watching American kids playing tennis. Maybe I'm weird.
I'll clarify my comment on this (college players getting worse). Yeah maybe they learn to moonball better and that might win them more matches at the college level, but they don't improve at the same pace as a junior player, who turn pro, who faces stiffer competition. The key words are the competition level and development. The team tennis concept doesn't strive to improve players weapons which is much needed at pro level. At college, the emphasis is minimize weaknesses, which is geared towards taking higher percentage shots, instead of going for their shot. Hence, they don't improve at the level they should and especially against their counterparts who turn pro and learn early, hit big or get blown off the court.

As far as player development at the college level, that you know is much limited in comparison that you might as well call it a hobby and not a profession. I agree that late bloomers might benefit from college, but those are the rare exceptions.

I don't know about that 75%. I haven't seen any stats on that, but perception is reality and it just seems to me that whenever I look at a college tennis roster (except from some of the top schools) a greater number of players on any given team are not Americans and I have nothing against it. I just think that calling NCAA tennis as American tennis is misleading, given the entry of international student-athletes. I am not saying it is a bad thing. It's like going to the mall to grab some take-out. Just because I go to an American mall does not mean that I am going to eat American food.
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 11:06 PM   #50
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachman49 View Post
I

That's probably the norm at TF or even the College Forum.

If you've been around many foreigners, you know already that they are a bit more gracious and have more gratitude then attitude.
I am sure it helps the team dynamics because it brings players closer as family.