Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

272K views 5K replies 139 participants last post by  Zamboni 
#1 ·

Alexandra is a former Top 10 junior who's been left in the dust as her contemporaries, Victoria, Caroline, Aga and Agnes have made their names on the WTA tour.

Now, Alexandra seems to want to make her own noise. She just lost out on winning her 2nd (and by far biggest) title at the 75K hardcourt in Monzon. She is now within the Top 250 and warrants her own cheering thread! :bounce:

See less See more
#4,442 ·
Shame she lost, but Vinci was playing very good. Anyway i liked what i've seen from Alex today, if she keep playing like this, she will be rewarded.

#4,443 ·
2014 Bucharest Alexandra Dulgheru vs Roberta Vinci [HD]

#4,462 ·
Thank you for the link earlier :). Finally got around to translating it. Rita Skeeter writing style aside, there was a lot of good information in the article

Alexandra Dulgheru lost against second seed Roberta Vinci 2-6 3-6, but she had a chance at the beginning of the second set. She’s sweaty, with a drenched skirt that leaves marks on the chair upholstery in the tiny Press Conference center. She’s still thinking about the match, about what she would have liked to do but couldn’t. “It was intense; I sometimes rushed to finish a point in order not to let her [Roberta] do what she wanted. A little bit strange playing at night; it’s not easy to adapt. If my serve had worked better, it would have been different, but I had problems with my shoulder for two months,” said Piti.

10 months passed since she had direct access to a WTA main draw, a time when she jad to play in qualifying or compete in smaller tournaments. The situation was even more dramatic at a given point. In February 2013, she was ranked 583rd in the world, due all the physical problems she’s dealt with. In 2009, she was the first Romanian to win a Premier tournament, in Warsaw. A great success at the time. “It’s been five years. It seems like it was yesterday,” a teary-eyed and emotional Alexandra reminisces. In 2010 she defended her title and got into the Top30. Her career was only going up. And then her problems started.

“I only had two years when I was healthy. In 2011 my knees were already very painful, but I dragged myself through it because I had a lot of points to defend, half of them on clay,” explains Dulgheru. “I tried to postpone my surgery, but eventually my left tendon tore. It was overused; for a while I tried other treatments, but the doctor said it couldn’t wait.” The doctor in question is Mikel Sanchez from Vitoria who also took care of Rafa Nadal’s knees and the shoulder of former Spanish king Juan Carlos. In 2012 she underwent surgery, followed by a recovery period, but in 2013 another issue came up. She had to have surgery on her right wrist as well. Then her shoulder. Followed by her left wrist. Then, in a tournament in Brazil, a pull on her right knee [tendon, I would assume].

“A year after I started playing again, I couldn’t find myself. I struggled; I couldn’t position myself for the ball the way I used to before. I played points with two-three shots, which is not my style. I felt horrible, as if I didn’t know how to play tennis anymore. I would wonder if I could get back to what I used to do,” remembers Piti. “I could be on court for a match, but then I couldn’t even walk straight.” Now she’s finally healthy. She’s back in the top 100, ranked 98th. “This makes me very happy. I will get directly on the main draw at the US Open. Qualifiers are a nuisance; they wear you down. I always preferred to train well and go right into the MD.” She knows it’s a matter of time and she needs to be patient. “Once I will have consistency and lucidity in key moments, everything will be easier. I like playing and this is what I want to do form now on.”

#4,446 ·
Am I the only one who thinks that she looks much more leaner than in the past?

Also her face, her body, her shoulders. When I saw her playing against Vinci, especially in close-up, something really seemed to have changed from the past.

#4,457 ·
Ugly, but got the job done today. Probably more than 60 unforced errors in this match alltogether, although the wind visibly played a role in that.

Umbrellas were blown down, the one above the umpire's chair probably didn't survive either. One of Sasnovich's second serves missed the net by two metres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.