Tennis Forum banner

Pac 12

177K views 2K replies 42 participants last post by  tennisbuddy12 
#1 ·
Continued because threads over 1,000 replies may get moved and the other Pac 10 thread was almost there. :lol:

#1,520 ·
I get your point. Honestly, it is a bit redundant. :yawn:

My point is this...
There are other factors why a player develops at the college level more so than at the junior level (aside from going to USC, which seems to be your point).
Ellen Tsay touched upon this subject matter saying that certain players thrive at the collegiate level.

1. Economics
Perhaps college provides a level playing field for some players to get more exposure and opportunities to play the big tournaments or play seeded players and teams.
At the junior level, economics may place a ceiling on such opportunities.
Sabs got to travel a lot this summer at those World University games. ;)
I am sure those opportunities weren’t available when she was in high school.
Despoina Vogasari chose to go to U of H and that has allowed her to play the Pro Circuit here in the US, as oppose to the limited matches she can play in Greece.

2. Player Development
Most of player development opportunities are because of having a support group in a team environment and coaching staff. Not all junior players can afford coaches and some rely on parent coaches or friends of family so this is somewhat an extension of economics.
Having a system in play to track a players schedule, work-outs, matches, and tournament play results in more opportunities.
Without this system, a player may forget to register to get a W/C entry at the US Open. :eek:

3. Academic Challenges
Playing for the school might allow professors to give the players some consideration but that doesn't change the academic requirements.
Some of the elite junior players have been taking online courses or been home school, so its an adjustment to attend classes and still put those hours on the court, especially with a lot of studying to do. Some colleges have more academic challenges than others. Ahn skipped Indoors because of her classes. Meanwhile, a bus-load of players from USC and UCLA are in New York. :facepalm:

4. Turning Pro vs. College Degree
If a player, plans to do her best to advance to the pro level then that has a lot to do with their development. If their goal is to get a Stanford degree and get a good job (like Stacey Tan) then at some point they will lose to other players, who try to advance their games at the Pro Circuit (like Brianna Morgan). Someone mentioned that most of the Cal players, their end goal was to get the tennis scholarship. :cool:

5. Different Mindset: Team vs. Individual
At the junior level, it’s a different mind-set than at the collegiate level, where team is first. Lauren Embree touched upon this subject that she has to refocus back to when she was playing juniors in order to succeed at the pro level. Some players thrive at the team is first concept and play better at duals and team tournaments than at individual tournaments (like Embre and Barte).

I am just saying there are a lot of factors that contribute to how a player develops in college, which is independent upon their success at the junior level. ;)

#1,522 ·
Your 'valient' effort trying to sound naive and ideal can't escape the stark fact that recruiting is paramount in college sports, especially tennis which is really an individual sport. Else why does Stanford recruit no.1s in the nation? You think Gibbs, Ahn, Hardebeck, those junior superstars got loads better at College? At the end of the day, it's the player herself that decides the match..and when all is said and done, talent is a major decider.
And nice try digging at other 3 schools in your post :lol: Nobody believes Stanford boycotted because of study when they played indoors before...and lost :oh:

I know, it's getting stale, so won't post more on this topic. Can't Stanford recruit 5 stars, relinquishing the recruiting monopoly, and try to win the NCAA? If they are so good... :devil:

#1,524 · (Edited)
There is a football game tonight.

UPDATE
The Cardinal won in this high visibility game. During half-time they recognized the women's team for its contribution to winning the Director's cup, and its National Championship run.

The high profile success of the football team, should have some positive impact on other sports including tennis. K.Ahn often has her football playing cheering sections. They behave properly, but I'm thinking they have to be a little bit of an intimidation factor too.

Well congratulations to the whole football team, tt was a team effort, but Skov, Gaffney, Hogan, and the coaching staff can get an extra half kudo.

#1,543 ·
Player of the Year: Robin Anderson, UCLA
Freshman/Newcomer of the Year: Jennifer Brady, UCLA
Doubles Team of the Year: Robin Anderson/Jennifer Brady, UCLA
Coach of the Year: Amanda Augustus, Cal

ALL-PAC-12 TEAMS
First Team
Kristie Ahn, Sr., Stanford *
Robin Anderson, Jr., UCLA *
Jennifer Brady, Fr., UCLA *
Zoë Scandalis, Jr., USC
Anett Schutting, Sr., California
Denise Starr, Fr., California
* - unanimous selection

Second Team
Lynn Chi, So., California
Desirae Krawczyk, So., Arizona State
Lacey Smyth, Sr., Arizona
Zsofi Susanyi, Jr., California
Chanelle Van Nguyen, Jr., UCLA
Carol Zhao, Fr., Stanford

Honorable Mention: Tereza Bekerova, Jr., UTAH; Taylor Davidson, Fr., STAN; Klara Fabikova, So., CAL; Krista Hardebeck, So., STAN; Elizaveta Luzina, Jr., WSU; Kyle McPhillips, So., UCLA; Giuliana Olmos, Jr., USC; Sabrina Santamaria, Jr., USC; Stephanie Vlad, So., ASU.

#1,552 ·
She probably had to sit out for a year (most likely academic issues according to what I heard). If a coach doesn't grant a release or if there is another issue, the athlete sits out a year (Amanda Craddock did I think from GT to Texas. Also, Noelle Hickey had academic issues so she did some classes back home for fall semester when transferring to UCLA from GT). Expect her to be on a team this Fall. I know she was training with Taylor Townsend and Zina Garrison pre-French Open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.