Tennis Forum banner

Which pro does your game compare most to?

69K views 371 replies 176 participants last post by  Spirited Away 
#1 ·
Ive just been watching Hercog and noticed I play a lot like her aside from her use of the double backhand. Big forehand, good use of the slice to move them around and mix it up, particularly the slice dtl and moving in. Like I said though difference is If I hit my backhand flat its one handed.

#2 ·
I'm a mix of Ivanovic and Clijsters.

#99 ·
wow thats a bold statement. are u saying your at there level of play? and consistently able to produce shots like them? because if your not able to i wouldnt nessesarily state that ur game is like theres.

i think players tend TO THINK they can be able able to play at the pro level and believe in there heads that they are as good or even better than the pros...but in reality just because u potentially can do alot of what they can do day to day they do it so well and on such a consistant basis.

in my own way i grew up following CAPRIATI...im naturally pretty quick about the court and have super strong legs ...quads like trunks...i am like her consistently able to handle pace and power no issues...the more power the better baby. i am good on the run and i am very hard to pass u literally have to hit 3 or 4 winning shots to end a point with me...so Jennifer for sure

#7 ·
Dokic on a bad day with a Golovin backhand. :bowdown:

#13 ·
If all of you are that good, why aren't any of you playing professionally?

#19 ·
I wouldn't really copy any WTA player's stroke production. Very few have good technique and it's usually things that will only work for them. Serena serve is textbook, but still it's hard to copy. My advice is learn what works best for you and not because a certain player hits this way.

#23 ·
A bit of Vinci - Slice backhand, can make some damage at the net..but that´s all...If you´ll find a serve-volleyer with shitty serve hitting many DF´s per match, absolutely horrible in groundstrokes with no forehand who plays backhad one handed, two handed but MOSTLY slice, using a lot of dropshots, has pretty good volleys and is a solid net player with a good reactions, is a headcase but also can make a comeback, who is fistpumping or yelling "COME ON" after every single winning point, throwing racquets and going nuts after too many errors then this player can be compared with me...but I didn´t find any yet

#31 ·
Caroline :lol: Especially the serve :lol: But i do hit a few winners so not exactly her :lol:

#36 ·
^^ Yeah, but it's okay....I've got a Clijsters-Ivanovic forehand mix swing, and Kim's OLD backhand...you know the one, with the loop.

#38 ·
After 2004's wrist problems. She used to have a much more major loop than she does now. Just compare 2001/2002 to 2005 to 2009.

#39 ·
Alisa Kleybanova mostly. I hit a pretty big ball, am a bigger guy, but anticipates and moves surprisingly well for my size.

That's sort of an overall idea, though. My backhand is pretty awkward, I hit it very, very flat, and it stays very, very low. It really is very similar to the weird ball Tanasugarn hits.

My forehand is in stark contrast and it's pretty heavy with a lot of top spin.

I have no net game whatsoever, and a pretty good serve for my level.

#40 ·
I used to be a bit of a Wozniacki.... but after years of coaching the closest comparison I can find is Juan Carlos Ferrero with a single handed backhand.

My movement has always been my biggest strength (current U20 County Champion at 110m Hurdles) and I always recover to the middle of the baseline pretty well after each shot.

But now I'm quite aggressive as well, using my forehand to dictate play. It's fairly spinny but aggresive spin rather than defensive spin. Often hit my best shots on the run though... I do try to come forward every so often to finish points at the net but I'll only tend to come in as a change up tactic though like Juan. I'm not an all out power hitter but someone who plays controlled aggression which is why I chose to compare myself to JCF. But also someone who enjoys playing on all surfaces. As a rule though I prefer natural surfaces - had my best results on Clay, followed by Grass and then acryllic. Never played much on carpet. After movement and forehand, I think I'm also a good tactician which is why I enjoy clay, I mix up the pace quite a bit.

The main fall down area is the backhand, it's far to inconsistent. On a good day I'll happily hit a topspin single hander most shots and it works quite well. But for the most part as soon as a miss one of two of those I go straight to the slice and find it hard to coax myself out of that kind of mindset. I guess this is where the JCF comparison falls down, probably more like a Petzschner, someone who can hit through their backhand but slices most of the time.

First serve is decent, mostly a flat serve to my opponent's backhand (if they're a righty) but will occasionally use the slice serve to their forehand to mix it up. Generally go for a kick second serve much like JCF.

And obviously all this is at a much lower level than the guys I've referenced....

And I know it's a WTA forum but I've never really found as close a comparison for my game as Juan...

#45 ·
You'd be fun to play!

Just think of it...my Ivanovic/Clijsters vs. your Radwanska/Hingis!!! :hearts::hearts::drool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.