Tennis Forum banner

Julia Görges Articles, Interviews and Twitter thread

190K views 1K replies 75 participants last post by  rucolo 
#1 · (Edited)
This is Julia's Interviews and Twitter thread where you can put anything related to her issued from media sources. :)

:lol: And why not anything better than relaxing with a cup of english tea and "Getting to know Julia" or re-discovering her through her first ITW perhaps not her first ever but the first when she got spotted for the first time by the medias. :) This is the first of many to come hopefully. :D

-----

Getting To Know... Julia Goerges

LUXEMBOURG, Luxembourg - Julia Goerges hasn't had the best of luck at Grand Slams - her main draw debut was against Justine Henin in the first round of the 2007 US Open, and this year it was a similar story at the Australian Open (Ana Ivanovic), Wimbledon (Jelena Jankovic) and US Open (Svetlana Kuznetsova). But with three semifinal finishes at Tour level and wins over the likes of Aleksandra Wozniak, Virginie Razzano and Sorana Cirstea under her belt, it can only be a matter of time before the almost-21-year-old joins other young Germans like Sabine Lisicki and Andrea Petkovic in the winner's circle.

Sonyericssonwtatour.com caught up with Julia during the BGL Luxembourg Open, where she competed on a new career-high ranking of No.76 - which means she'll finish the season in the Top 100 for the first time.

-----

Tell us about your family.
JG: My father works in insurance and my mom helps him with that - the office is at our house. I also have a sister, Maike, who is 32. Actually she's my half-sister, which you might guess if you saw us together… I am 5'11 and dark-haired and she is short and blonde! We share the same father. She also works in insurance, but not in the same office as our dad.

How did you get into tennis ?
JG: I started to play when I was five-and-a-half, when my parents took me to a local club where they played. As I grew older I always looked to watch tennis on TV, I was a real fan, and it came to a point where I asked my parents how we could do it. They wanted me to finish school first, but of course I played junior tournaments as well.

As a youngster, did you have a tennis idol ?
JG: Martina Hingis. She didn't play like everyone else, she was always changing the rhythm, playing drop shots and so on. She didn't hit the ball the hardest but she was clever and thought about where she was putting the ball. When she retired and then came back to the Top 10, I thought it was really something special.

And, of course, Roger Federer plays tennis as if from another world.

What do you consider your strengths as a player ?
JG: My serve and my forehand help me a lot.

And what do you need to improve to go to the next level ?
JG: I need to play more consistently. I can have good wins, but I need to keep it going for weeks and months at a time. It's partly a matter of belief.

What's your tennis memory to date ?
JG: In terms of the occasion and emotions it has to be my first round match at Wimbledon in 2008. I beat (No.22 seed) Katarina Srebotnik 16-14 in the third set... the match lasted 3 hours 41 minutes! It was also a good feeling to win the doubles with Vladimira Uhlirova at Portoroz this year - it was my first Tour title.

If you could steal a shot from another player, what would it be ?
JG: The backhand of Jelena Jankovic.

Do you have a favorite surface ?
JG: Grass.

Favorite tournament or city ?
JG: The Australian Open. I'd love to have a few weeks to travel around the country properly.

What do you like most about life on the Tour? Dislike ?
JG: I like being able to experience other countries and cultures, to see how people live and work. I'm mostly on the road with my coach, Sascha Nensel, but if my mom is with me we'll try and do some sightseeing. Spain and Mexico are top of my list. But I'm the sort of girl who likes to be at home, to see all the familiar places where I grew up. So sometimes the travel is too much.

If not tennis…
JG: I really think I'd have been a receptionist in a hotel! Growing up, I was always fascinated by computers and things like cash registers in supermarkets.

What do you like to do outside tennis ?
JG: I'm a biathlon freak. If I can help it I don't miss a minute of it when it's on television and would love to try it myself. In fact, last year for my birthday my coaches gave me a voucher for a three hour training camp, where you ski and professionals show you how to shoot. Unfortunately I had to leave for Australia soon after, so I haven't done it yet, but hope to soon.

I also like the usual things: going out with friends, seeing movies, listening to music - I like Blue and Rihanna - and shopping.

Speaking of birthdays, you turn 21 in November… any plans to celebrate ?
JG: I'll be playing an ITF event in Ortisei, Italy, so it depends how that's going. But afterwards I plan to spend some time in Nürnberg with my aunt and uncle and go to Berlin with friends.

Who are your best friends on Tour ?
JG: That's tough, but I can say mostly the German players. I also have a lot to do with Patty Schnyder, who has a home in the same town as me in Germany. She's really nice and we've played doubles together.

What are your tennis goals for 2010 ?
JG: I'd like to be Top 50, but I don't focus so much on the number. I think you can go too far too fast; as long as I'm becoming a better player I'd rather make a gradual improvement rather than be bouncing up and down the rankings.

Link : Getting to know... Julia Görges - October, 21 2009.

See less See more
#112 ·
#113 ·
Re: Julia Görges Interviews and Twitter thread

An interview with the great Yeji Oh :worship::

Interview with Julia Goerges

First of all congratuations, I saw you yesterday practicing, you seemed like had a cough. How do you feel now?
-I sick last week, I had a antibiotic. It's fine now but I hope to get better and better.

You have many fans in Korea after you won the doubles last year. Then you said you want to come back next year. So that's why you come back again?
-This is really nice tournament. So I thought i would comeback if I had a chance. When I have chance to play, I'll be there. That's why I came here.

In these days, German women players are doing great like you, Petkovic, Lisicki. What do you think that's reason?
-It's just the matter of the time. We all have a good potential. That's what we hope to come. Now we can be very dangerous to top players. And we get the result that we seeking.

#114 ·

An interview with the great Yeji Oh :worship::

Interview with Julia Goerges

First of all congratuations, I saw you yesterday practicing, you seemed like had a cough. How do you feel now?
-I sick last week, I had a antibiotic. It's fine now but I hope to get better and better.

You have many fans in Korea after you won the doubles last year. Then you said you want to come back next year. So that's why you come back again?
-This is really nice tournament. So I thought i would comeback if I had a chance. When I have chance to play, I'll be there. That's why I came here.

In these days, German women players are doing great like you, Petkovic, Lisicki. What do you think that's reason?
-It's just the matter of the time. We all have a good potential. That's what we hope to come. Now we can be very dangerous to top players. And we get the result that we seeking.
I'm a little bit disappointed. I hoped she would have asked Julia whether she feels ready to win her 3rd grand slam title there at Seoul. But surely she is ready. Go for it Julia! :banana:

#118 ·

Julia on Twitter said:
On my way to Tokyo...had a great time in koreapeople are so nice here and treat u very well...specially our driver this morning he brang us a coffee,because he had no money for the highway toll to the airport so i gave him my last korean money and he felt so sorry.very cute man
Oh, ain't that cute :)

#119 ·

Oh, ain't that cute :)
Are you happy by Julia tweet now? Finally something interesting. :lol:

#129 · (Edited)

Her expected twitter comment.
I wish, she wrote something like -

"Wtf, was working so hard for the success, my serve was awful from the beginning, but I didn`t play too bad overall, and was again close to beat Maria. Just can`t get the things together in the big moments . What the hell is wrong with me ?"

She would be on the right path.

#132 · (Edited)

^^I don't remember much from Animal Farm, but the comparison with Sisyphus is really appropriate :D

Who knows, maybe that's the problem. Maybe she doesn't need to work that hard. She already has some of the biggest weapons in the game and she added a decent defense to that. Her physical problems also don't seem to bother her at the moment. She is too obsessed. Some fun or some therapy might do her good :shrug:

#135 ·

Jarka_Tennis Jarmila Gajdosova
@juliagoerges thank you :)how is home?!!missing you here:( still need to go for dinner!playboy is asking how is diva doing?!:)

Julia Goerges
@Jarka_Tennis on my way to linz...all good yeah we will have dinner latest in australia..say hi to playboy;)
Julia the diva and her playboy? Naughty thoughts come to my mind.. :D

And of course she will have dinner in Australia... Her geography teachers must be proud as well.

#136 ·

Julia the diva and her playboy? Naughty thoughts come to my mind.. :D
I bet Playboy and Diva are dogs :lol:

And of course she will have dinner in Australia... Her geography teachers must be proud as well.
:lol: That would be funny, but she meant the soonest she and Jarka are going to have dinner will be in Australia. The English teacher is the disappointed one again :) But neither would have been disappointed is she were talking about the dinner she's going to have later on in Austria, because that would have been just a mispell :)

#154 ·

Of course Julia watched Andrea's final on TV, she twittered this after the match (but deleted it later):
@andreapetkovic amazing performance petki...you are my olle and big respect from my side...
I really hope the connection with Andrea is useful for her career.

Andrea in Cincinnati this year:
Can you share a little bit of the camaraderie you have with Julia and Sabine?
Sure. I think the most important thing about our friendship is that we've known each other for so long. I think Julia I know for like 12 years; Sabine for at least ten or nine. So it's a different thing when you grow up together. We always had the competition between each other, so it's nothing new now. Even if reporters and journalists from Germany, they sometimes try -- they tried in the beginning, but they saw very soon that it was impossible to put some kind of competition between us. But when it's always been there for ten years, it's nothing new even if you come to the top level now, to the pro level, to the premier, Grand Slams. It's just a thing. We always res-pected each other and we always shared rooms together. We went through so many things. I remember playing with Julia three 25,000 tournaments here in the States in Tampa, and Fort Walton Beach. (Laughing.) I mean, we didn't have no money. We lived off Pizza Hut all the time. These kind of things just brings you together. Doesn't matter if somebody is playing better or worse, I think we all know that we profit from each other. I know that I profit from Julia playing well; Julia knows she profits from Sabine playing well. So we just have this natural companionship that grew through the years. Sometimes Fed Cup teams are just like, Okay, now one week we have to be a team. Try to bring on some team spirit. But I think that just doesn't work as natural as it developed on our German team. So I'm really thrilled and I always love playing Fed Cup.

#160 ·

Julia on Twitter said:
Won a tough battle today 7:6(9:7)in the third.played against a great playing anastasia.happy to be through and having another match.u can always improve+get better with every match.so tmrw another match.not before 8pm against rodina.thanks for the great support today.hope tmrw again;)i love playing in linz...its a great tournament...getting treatment soon...and then off to bed...Ah i forgot i was 2matchpoints down
She also forgot to mention something about a DF :eek: Not something to brag about anyway. Somehow everybody plays so well against her. Unbelievable :D

#162 · (Edited)

I was curious about this sportsfreund magazin and the interview with Julia. Yesterday I couldn`t withstand anymore and just bought it:devil:.
It contents only a few new facts and details. Just in the very end she said something pretty remarkable.
Despite of that I try to translate the whole stuff. It obviously took place after Wimbledon this year, and some photos of her, which we all know from the picture thread are added to the article.

Q. Miss Görges, you now play more often against players like Wozniacki and Sharapova. How do you feel about this - and about being able to win these games ?

A. I get used to it step by step, and to climb up the rankings into the area of these players .
Not long ago I played against Ana Ivanovic, the former number 1,.. and I was seeded on a higher position than her.
But I`m growing, it´s a learning process

Q. Are you frightened at times, how rapidly you get to the top of the rankings ?

A. No, not at all. It´s a very good feeling to be play on this level. The people respect me, I have made some pretty good performances, and I think my top ranking is well earned.

Q.How do you notice this risen respect ?

A. Well, I see that the people(players) have noticed my improvements. Suddenly there are much more requests of better players for practicing together. And this also helps me a lot to get even better.

Q. Does it put more pressure on you, or do you calm down of it ?

A. You actually always feel pressure, whether you are the number 16, or the number 60 of the world.
Because the pressure is caused by the expectations and the aims, you set by yourself.
My goal for this year was, to be ranked under the Top 32 of the world

Q. You have reached it already...

A. And now I want to hold this position. It hard enough to be a Top 20 player, but it even harder to stay it.

Q. Do you have the ambition to be the Number 1 ?

A. I do not ask me that question at all at the moment. Right now I want to keep my position in the Top 20.

Q. Were there some key moments, when you got aware, that you can beat the Top players ?

A. Yes, it was in April in Stuttgart. And it happen out of the blue. I never expected, that I could win the title there. Still today I´m not able to describe what really happened. We just had a good week, won against the USA in the Fed Cup. So we had a lot of confidence, and it was a big advantage for us( she obviously is talking of her German team mates ) to practice on this court and get used to the conditions at Stuttgart.

Q. What do you think of Andrea P. and Sabine L., are you something like a team ?

A. We are playing well, we are very talented, and we advance to the Top at the same time. So we inspire each other. But it´s not important to be the Number 1 in Germany. What really counts is the international ranking.

Q. Wouldn`t you like to be ahead of Andrea in the rankings ?

A. For now she is better placed, and she earns it. Everybody´s got his own way and I don`t look too much at it.
It`s even better when we all play well, isn`t it ?

Q. Do you watch each other, when you play, and do you learn something by doing it ?

A. When I have time, I watch all other German players. And seeing Andrea beating the Top Players encourages me. It can help us( the other German players ) all.

Q. What the difference between you and Andrea ?

A. Andrea game mainly consists of power and speed. I mix more my game, sometimes also play a high ball, and like to go to net.

Q.Do you have an idol ?

A. Yes, Martina Hingis, she had a totally different style, than I have, but I admire her easy way to play.

Q. After your victory you directly went home to the baptisme of your nephew. What does your family mean to you ?

A. It`s very important for me. I try as often I can to rest some days at home and relax in between the tournaments.
It`s not more than 4 or 5 days for now, but it`s okay, because tennis has the priority in my lif
e.

Q. Your parents have collected tons of articles about you. Do you read that ?

A. I look at it here and there, but I have not enough time to read it all. I try not to be influenced by all this stuff.

Q. Earlier your mother traveled with you on the tour, who does it now ?

A. It my coach and my physio. My parents are both working , and cannot take too many day-offs.

Q .How important is it for you to look good ?

A. For me it not important.

Q. Because you look very good...:drool:

A. With good looking you don win any matches.:cool:

Q. But can get a good job in advertising.

A. May be, but for me it`s important to get the job done on the court. Yes, I paint my nails ( and color my hair :D), but every woman does it, and my appearance is not really important.

Q. When you were the number 134 in the world you said, that the Top players don play better than the others up to ranking position 100. They just play more consistent. Are you playing more consistent now ?

A. I have to admit, this is a point on what I`m working very hard. The best players are playing on a high level for the whole year. You have to learn to play consistent for 5 months, then 7 or even 9 months. And in the end the whole season ! ( Imo, she could be proud of doing it for about half an hour:lol: )
This process is a precondition, to get to the top. ( Hope she sometimes reminds her words in this interview )

Q. Does consistency mean to play well the whole season, or does it also mean to play consistently a complete match ? :)confused::scratch: sorry, this is the question )

A. To play consistently does not automatically mean, to win a match. But without consistency, you have no chance to win any match. The quality of other players does not allow it.
Consistency means to me, to show a good performance every day, not regarding you have won or lost the day before.

:)confused::scratch: sorry, this is Julia`s answer )

Q. How good or bad can you handle losses ?

A. I`m always disappointed, that`s for sure. But you can learn from losses. So it also has it`s good side.

Q. I saw you sitting there in the break with a book and text marker. Did you read some special mental advices ?

A. It was a book of my coach about the course of the match. And about what to do when things go wrong.

Q. ... there stood something like " take care of the tension of your body "

A. Yes, it`s something like that. I know all these advices, but it`s good for me to reread it in these moments.
I`m working consistently on the mental side with the former German champion Eva Pfaff.
When it needed, we meet and have a session.

Q. The US Open is the last Grand Slam tournament of the season. You like to play on hard court ?

A. I like any surface,( she does not prefer clay ! ) The US open are something special. In 2007, when I was 18 it reach the main draw of a Grand Slam there for the first time. I played against the Number 1 Justin Henin. That was a very special experience and means a lot to me.

Q. What do you enjoy the most, when the season is over.

A. I`m very interested in Biathlon :)zzz:), I watch it on TV whenever I can. I`d like to have a try on my own, but I didn`t have the time. Maybe I can do it in the next winter.

Q. Miss Görges, is there anything you want to say.

A. Oh yes, there is something on my mind, just a little thing. I have heard about some rumours, that I had an affair d`amour with Mathias Wuster, an average German Tennis player. Let me just say,... Skoo, there is nothing about it, I remain up for grabs !

Q. hmm, are you serious ?

A. Yeah.

Q. Miss Görges, thank you for the interview.

a

#164 ·

Q. Miss Görges, is there anything you want to say.

A. Oh yes, there is something on my mind, just a little thing. I have heard about some rumours, that I had an affair d`amour with Mathias Wuster, an average German Tennis player. Let me just say,... Skoo, there is nothing about it, I remain up for grabs !

Q. hmm, are you serious ?

A. Yeah.

Q. Miss Görges, thank you for the interview.
Not bad, joy division, not bad :lol:

And again, thanks for posting this interview!

#167 ·

@juliagoerges Julia Goerges
@
@EVesnina001 thanks for writing georges;)but my name is goerges?

Julia is really a bit annoyed of this ancient joke:fiery:
And she did not leave Vesnina much room for finding an accurate answer.

Interesting to see, what will happen on the court in the double`s final.:boxing:

#168 ·

What ancient joke? Vesnina just made a little mispell, putting the e in front of the o. Georges is a much more common name and the mistake is understandable. It's not like she called her gorgeous. Picking on Vesnina like that is just lame. They don't called them sore losers for nothing :lol: And Vesnina's reply is pretty cool :)

#169 ·

What ancient joke? Vesnina just made a little mispell, putting the e in front of the o. Georges is a much more common name and the mistake is understandable. It's not like she called her gorgeous. Picking on Vesnina like that is just lame. They don't called them sore losers for nothing :lol: And Vesnina's reply is pretty cool :)
I think, everybody knows that Julia is sensible and pretty easy to annoy in that point, so I judge Vesnina`s twitter comment is meant as a little affront. but I could be wrong here.
However, What did Vesnina reply ?

#170 ·

EVesnina001 @juliagoerges oh!My bad!So sorry!U can call me Visnina then:)))))

:lol:

Well, she is, but Vesnina certainly didn't mean it. The whole thing about "don't call me gorgeous" is lame too, IMO. Yeah, it doesn't make you win matches, but this sore attitude might have something to do with it :)

#171 ·

EVesnina001 @juliagoerges oh!My bad!So sorry!U can call me Visnina then:)))))

:lol:

Well, she is, but Vesnina certainly didn't mean it. The whole thing about "don't call me gorgeous" is lame too, IMO. Yeah, it doesn't make you win matches, but this sore attitude might have something to do about it :)
Thank you for your clarification, I went wrong here.
May be I was a little bit over-motivated by thinking, that a bitchy component could pep up this pretty unimportant final.:scratch:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.