Tennis Forum banner

General Aussie Tennis News

78K views 731 replies 66 participants last post by  Daniel. 
#1 ·
Seeing as the QLD State Tennis Centre is due for completion later in the year, I thought I would start a thread for it, as it is the biggest development since the construction of the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre.

When completed, the centre will have:
- 22 international standard tennis courts (16 hardcourts, 4 claycourts and 2 grasscourts)
- A 5500 seat covered Centre Court
- Administrative facilities for Tennis QLD
- Cafes, restaurants, pro shop
- A new ferry terminal
- 390 apartments in the 'Tennyson Reach' development

All in all, the centre has cost $80 million to construct.

Here are some artists impressions of the QLD Tennis Centre:

And of course, the centre will host the Brisbane International from 2009...

Here are some sites of interest:
www.tennysonreach.com
www.tennisattennyson.com
www.tennisqueensland.com

And some photos of the stadium taking shape

See less See more
#703 ·
Both done a great job with the Fed Cup team but I think Pratt needs to go as well, after 10 years you need some fresh ideas.

I think you need that singles experience, so on that basis I would go with Sam first and then Jelena second. I feel as if Casey would be good in a support role like Pratt.

#708 ·
TA going through a rebrand looks like. New logo, website changes and colour changes.

#714 ·
The #2 player is practically just going to be a benchwarmer (or doubles player). Lots of countries #2 players are ranked outside the top 100. I believe entry is also based on rankings, meaning everyone who isn't on the team that is ranked higher than the #2 opted not to play (which is fair as likely they won't get any matches).

#713 ·
Alex de Minaur, Ajla Tomljanovic, John Millman, Storm Hunter, Matt Ebden, Ellen Perez............. United Cup Team. I am happy to see Dasha, Kim and Olivia not here and chasing points in other events. John Millman????
Probably a farewell tour methinks, cause I remember him saying if his ranking dropped he didn't see himself trying to rebuild it again. I reckon he'll enter AO qualies with his protected ranking like he did at the US Open (doubt he'll get a wildcard considering the depth of our men) and that might be his last event.

But lmao, trust Storm to enter an event where she's unlikely to play a singles match due to the format change. For the love of god please do not give her an AO MDWC again

#716 · (Edited)
Pretty sure it's not happening this year again, otherwise we would've had some news about it. All of the junior December Showdown tournaments are planned and even the Progress Masters Series but there is no updated info on the Playoff or even the Asian Playoff.

The Progress Masters Series is also happening the same week as the AO Playoff used to be held.

I also think the WC Playoff being canned is also a reason why the last 2 years we've got ITFs still happening in late November too, when pre-2020 they would've finished early November.

#724 ·
We can definitely dream. Unfortunately I imagine it is the other way as Elise is now in her late 20s so it is really now or never for her to take her singles to the next level and break top 10 or win a big tournament. If I had to guess, Storm will continue singles as long as she remains in GS qualies territory and then pack it in once her ranking drops. Hopefully she proves me wrong though.

#726 ·
“We’ve played together before, and she’s a great person. We’re still working out scheduling and stuff; just to make sure we’re on the same page, and she knows I want to play a bit of singles, too, and [she plays] singles as well.
“We’re still trying to work out where it fits exactly, but it’s exciting. I think she just wanted a change and I did, too, so it’ll be a good challenge. But we’re not going to put pressure on [each other] straightaway.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/ten...sing-new-doubles-partner-20231123-p5emfh.html

“a bit of singles too” :oh:

If that’s not an admission that she is not committed singles, then I don’t know what is. Please no more wildcards.