Tennis Forum banner

General Aussie Tennis News

78K views 731 replies 66 participants last post by  Daniel. 
#1 ·
Seeing as the QLD State Tennis Centre is due for completion later in the year, I thought I would start a thread for it, as it is the biggest development since the construction of the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre.

When completed, the centre will have:
- 22 international standard tennis courts (16 hardcourts, 4 claycourts and 2 grasscourts)
- A 5500 seat covered Centre Court
- Administrative facilities for Tennis QLD
- Cafes, restaurants, pro shop
- A new ferry terminal
- 390 apartments in the 'Tennyson Reach' development

All in all, the centre has cost $80 million to construct.

Here are some artists impressions of the QLD Tennis Centre:

And of course, the centre will host the Brisbane International from 2009...

Here are some sites of interest:
www.tennysonreach.com
www.tennisattennyson.com
www.tennisqueensland.com

And some photos of the stadium taking shape

See less See more
#563 ·
Anyone remember Nadia Johnston? She played 2001 Aust Open qualifying, peaked at 314 in singles but had to retire at 23yo due to wrist injury. Well appears she migrated to USA, and has done very well at Beach Tennis ever since! https://www.itftennis.com/en/news-a.../?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral She ended up being the first US National Champion in the sport and reached top 10 in world ranking.

#564 ·
ASH BARTY AND FRIENDS CELEBRATE CAIRNS TENNIS COMMUNITY
World No.1 Ash Barty is delighted to spend time in the Cairns tennis community with John Millman, Lizette Cabrera and John-Patrick Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#565 ·
Some interesting interviews done over the last month - Part of Beyond The Tour - new group helped to transition players after retiring from playing.

Sarah Stone interviews Beti Sekulovski

Kerryn Pratt interviews Australia's 1st ever Junior Wimbledon Girls winner in 1980

Jess Moore

Lesley Hunt

Karis Ryan

#568 ·
Unfortunately injuries ruined Tammi's career a lot. She had a game to go high in the rankings when on with her big shots.

Masa never had a technically strong game to make it.

Did Wallace retire due to injuries?? As she had a good run then disappeared randomly

#570 ·
I have wondered the same thing with Olivia. Her bio still says she's a professional tennis player, but the ceramics seem to be her main priority at the moment (and she is quite good at it!)

It wouldn't surprise me if she decided to settle in Florida now that she's married too.

#572 ·
I think CoVid has and will continue to cause a lot of premature retirements! A lot of players scrape by with the prize money they earn on the tour, but to suddenly have no income, no tournaments to play, a lot of players would have had to take jobs like stacking shelves at supermarket to earn money to live off the last 8 months, and then cos they are working, they don't have the hours or energy to devote to tennis, and before you know it they are way off peak condition. Those battlers/challenger players that have stuck with it, credit to them, but I'm sure a lot of them have an uphill battle to get back to where they were before. I'm wondering if Monique Adamczak will call it quits after Australian Open?