Tennis Forum banner

General Aussie Tennis News

78K views 731 replies 66 participants last post by  Daniel. 
#1 ·
Seeing as the QLD State Tennis Centre is due for completion later in the year, I thought I would start a thread for it, as it is the biggest development since the construction of the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre.

When completed, the centre will have:
- 22 international standard tennis courts (16 hardcourts, 4 claycourts and 2 grasscourts)
- A 5500 seat covered Centre Court
- Administrative facilities for Tennis QLD
- Cafes, restaurants, pro shop
- A new ferry terminal
- 390 apartments in the 'Tennyson Reach' development

All in all, the centre has cost $80 million to construct.

Here are some artists impressions of the QLD Tennis Centre:

And of course, the centre will host the Brisbane International from 2009...

Here are some sites of interest:
www.tennysonreach.com
www.tennisattennyson.com
www.tennisqueensland.com

And some photos of the stadium taking shape

See less See more
#488 ·
The biggest priority for TA must always be to win the davis cup so a team based approach is important. Its a good time for them to return to the values of the 1950s. They are cleaning out the coaching and junior ranks so that noone will ever speak their mind on the Director of Performance again

#492 ·
Shoulders, wrists, elbows..... just adding to our ever-lengthening injury toll. Ellen could be back by the playoff if she decides to play it.

Ellen Perez out for fall season

Tori McElhaney @tor i_mcelhaney

Less than a month after competing in the US Open, Georgia junior Ellen Perez will have to sit out of fall tournaments with the Bulldogs because of an elbow injury.
According to head coach Jeff Wallace, the All-American had a minor scope surgery last week and will be out for a total of seven weeks.

“She is doing great,” Wallace said. “[The surgery] was something that needed to get done because it will help her out in the future.”
Wallace assured that even though Perez will not be joining the team on the courts this fall that she will still maintain a demanding schedule.

“She will be super busy,” Wallace said. “She will be doing a lot of motion, rehab and strengthening before she gets back for the spring.”
Perez was ranked No. 4 in the 2017 Oracle/ITA women’s national singles preseason rankings and will likely return for Georgia's indoor season in the spring.

#493 ·
Georgia women’s tennis player Ellen Perez continues with elbow injury recovery
Michael Hebert
Oct 14, 2016

The Georgia Women’s tennis is in the early stages of its fall season and will now have to continue without one of its top players.
Junior Ellen Perez, who earned All-American honors last season for both singles and for her doubles pairing with Mariana Gould, received surgery on her elbow, placing her out of tournament play for the rest of the fall.
“I had the surgery about three weeks ago,” Perez said. “It’s just a small clean out, nothing too serious.”

While Perez will be out of play for the fall, she hopes to return to training soon, and is expected to be able to play in the spring.
“Right now, I’m worried about getting my rehab in,” Perez said. “I could be back [training] in a couple of weeks, who knows, it all just depends on how it goes.”
Although her elbow will be healed enough for to return to training, due to her time sitting out, she missed many of the qualifying tournaments.
“I wont be back ready in time to play,” Perez said. “Our next tournament is next week, and from that is New York [ITA National Indoors] and I’m not going to qualify for that.”
In the meantime, Perez looks to utilize her time out by being a voice for other players.

“We’ve had a lot of talks in the locker room,” Perez said. “Just putting my input and getting them to be more confident is my focus.”
As a leader on the team Perez also wants to help the younger players transition as Georgia begins to play more tournaments.
“Even working with the freshmen, they don’t know what it’s like,” Perez said. “In that area, I can definitely help.”
Despite the time out, Perez is not letting this injury faze her.
“I know that my elbow will be ready for when I need to play,” Perez said.

#498 ·
Good sleuthing, hopefully we do see Perez over the summer. If Woolcock can make it back last year, she should be able to this year.

Do we even know why Alibalic changed her nationality? It may not be because of anything to do with TA. If she's based in Europe she may not even want to travel to Aus.

#504 ·
#510 ·
Oh I didn't know John Peers won the YEC! That's awesome!

Bernie had a good year and while his record wasn't clean it was a massive improvement on 2015 in terms of what TA finds acceptable. I'm sure Sam Groth has been similarly vulgar on court. Also, what Bernie did is nowhere near as bad as TA-darling Lley-lley's racism accusation at US Open back in the day. Did anything happen to Lley-lley? :rolleyes:

#512 ·
I think the Madrid Open incident in which Bernie tried to return a ball using the handle of his racquet on match point (I think) as well as him 'retiring' from Sydney because it was overheard him saying it wasn't worth him competing because winning to just rising one ranking spot and him not bothering to reply to Kitty Chillers Olympic 11 page essay on why he should participate in the Olympics (Nick didn't either) are a couple of reasons why the vanilla TA haven't nominated him.

But yes, Lley-Lley and his early behaviour was just as putrid as Nick and Bernie's but rarely acknowledged.... and certainly never acted upon by TA in such a way that has occurred with the other two.

I think Sam behaves OK on court as far as I've seen (but stand to be corrected), but his boys-club award last year because of some Davis Cup heroics was the real irritating part of his win in 2015.

Actually the last 3-years have been sausage festivities, but hopefully Alcott gets the award this time.

#513 ·
Yeah I think 2014 was the year Casey or Sam should've won it? It is a TA jerk-a-thon

#515 ·
Yes 2014 was Casey's great year and considering she had to twice return from season long injuries, probably should've got the nod over Nick.
Sam vs Lleyton was in 2013 and probably should've went Sam's way, but they clearly wanted the trophy to go to Lleyton and prevent Sam's three-peat (or was it four-peat?).

#517 ·
Does Sydney even have the amount of courts the AO would take?