Tennis Forum banner

Bye Bye USA. Welcome to Asia (Tashkent, Guangzhou,Tokyo, Beijing)

10K views 114 replies 18 participants last post by  Jerem 
#1 ·
Ula flies to Tashkent on Monday
Aga, rest in peace now. ;)
GL to both!

#81 ·
20 Winners, 4 Unforced: Radwanska On Fire
September 28, 2012

TOKYO, Japan - There's not much a player can do when their opponent hits 20 winners to just four unforced errors - and that's what Agnieszka Radwanska did at the Toray Pan Pacific Open on Friday, needing just 59 minutes to drop a 61 61 loss on Angelique Kerber and return to the final of the Premier event.

The No.3-seeded Radwanska was at her absolute best against one of the most solid players on the WTA this year, not just playing rock solid defense but hitting winners all over the place - crosscourt, down the line, aces, volleys, drop shots - and eventually it was too much for the No.5-seeded Kerber, who hit a backhand wide on match point No.4, her 32nd unforced error of the match.

"We've played a couple of times before and it has always been tough, and even though today was 61 61 it was tough as well, and I had to run a lot," Radwanska said. "She's a very smart player and mixes up a lot of shots, so I had to stay focused from beginning to end. I'm very happy I could play my best today."

And on the drop shots return winners late in the match? "It was such a long game, so I thought I'd try something different," Radwanska said with her trademark smile. "It was working, so I was really happy about that!"

Radwanska recorded her 55th match win of a breakthrough year, the third most on the WTA this year after Kerber (58) and Victoria Azarenka (56).

The win also meant Radwanska will hold onto her No.3 ranking come Monday - if she lost Friday, Serena Williams would have switched spots with her.

Last year, Radwanska came off a second round loss at the US Open (to Kerber) and completely dominated the Asian Premier fortnight, winning Tokyo and Beijing in back-to-back weeks; this year she had another early loss at the US Open but is now on fire - could this be history repeating for her?

Awaiting Radwanska in the final is No.17 seed Nadia Petrova, who beat No.8 seed Samantha Stosur in the first semifinal of the day (read more here).

Radwanska leads Petrova in their head-to-head, 3-1, but two of the three Radwanska wins were by razor thin margins (including a 16 75 60 win where Petrova led 61 30) and Petrova's win came here in Tokyo. But above everything, all of those meetings came four years ago during the 2008 season.

"Nadia has been playing great tennis the whole week," the World No.3 said. "First of all I'm very, very happy I could reach the final and fight for the title again. I'll try my best - it's the final, the most important match of the week."
Source: wtatennis.com

#83 ·
Brilliant tennis from Aga ! :bowdown:

The match was closer than the scoreline suggests. Extremely impressive from Aga. 20 Winners, only 4 UEs. Angelique did not play bad at all. Too many UEs of course, but also many great Winners. Fantastic points in this match, Aga is very talented. Her amazing defense put so much pressure on Angelique. And Aga served much better. 7 DFs Angelique, no DF Aga. Angelique has to improve her weak serve.

#84 ·
#88 ·
Very strange match. Tough loss for Aga. She was a little off her game and Petrova was too good today. I thought Aga would sneak out the win at 3-3 in the third, but Nadia served great and Aga had two inexplicable double faults at 3-4. Nadia will beat anyone on her day. This week, she proved it 3 days in a row. Will Nadia follow the pattern and follow up with the title in Beijing like Aga last year and Caroline the year before?

#95 ·
Aga :hug:

Highlight was when Aga hit 3 Aces in a row at 5-1 in 2nd set ;)

#96 ·
Lotus Court

Starting At: 12:30 pm
Tommy HAAS (GER) [7] vs Mikhail YOUZHNY (RUS)
Not Before 3:00 PM
[WC] Shuai ZHANG (CHN) vs Agnieszka RADWANSKA (POL) [3]
Julia GOERGES (GER) vs Samantha STOSUR (AUS) [8]
Olga GOVORTSOVA (BLR) Monica NICULESCU (ROU) vs Daniela HANTUCHOVA (SVK)Shuai PENG (CHN)
Not Before 7:30 PM
Ryan HARRISON (USA) vs Feliciano LOPEZ (ESP)

#102 ·
Not a good match from her, but some very good shots at the net. She played better during the last 4 games but she shouldn't have good chances against Li or Peng if she can't step up for her quarterfinal match...

By the way, is it me or the Chinese crowd really loves Aga? :)

#107 ·
Very entertaining match. There were many unforced errors, but nothing comparable to many shitfests I saw last week (eg. Wozniacki-Li, Sharapova-Stosur). Aga was not only off-form but also slightly injured, which forced her to keep the points short - nice to see her at the net all the time, I wish she was playing like that more often (but less erratic). Fabulous variety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.