The Cricket thread - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 10:31 AM   #76
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Cricket thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
obsession with just one sport does not make it a nation with sporting culture.....even india lacks sporting culture.....we are just obsessed with one sport which is cricket and in new zealand it's rugby.....

my comparison with australia was mainly because culturally kiwis and aussies are close being neighbours but when it comes to sports, aussies are way ahead in cricket, tennis, football, hockey etc.....so i couldn't see any other reason apart from lack of passion for overall sports or a troubled economy.....
You said in your reply that NZ is not the best in any sport,

I said, yes we are, in rugby.

No I am glad we can clear that up and move on.

The economy is fine, we don't pump millions into sports like Australia, we are only a small country, and we punch well above our weight.

Australia has a sporting culture, compare to NZ they excel greater on the international level, all kids down this way have a high participation rate in sport.

and as for cricket, our passion died some time ago.
ranfurly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 02:25 PM   #77
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

what do you think of new zealand's chances in the upcoming world cup? semifinalists last time on subcontinent wickets, surely they must be reaching semis again at least imo.....

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 02:29 PM   #78
country flag Rodzilla

Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future

for more information on NZ punching above the weight class in sport, read about them making the football world cup in 2010 and then going undefeated in it
Rodzilla is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 02:35 PM   #79
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
what do you think of new zealand's chances in the upcoming world cup? semifinalists last time on subcontinent wickets, surely they must be reaching semis again at least imo.....
Well, The media are portraying NZ to be a looming side and a dark horse who can possibly upset

I think we are capable of an upset, I think we are capable of reaching the semi finals, but I don't think it will be a walk in the park,

again, the team will have to punch above their weight, I don't have full confidence that we have a solid enough side,

We have good players, whom are streaky in their performance,

You have to get them all aligned, playing well for them to be competitive,

I haven't seen much of the South Africa Tour, but have a look at the results, there is clearly a lot of work still to be done.
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 02:46 PM   #80
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranfurly View Post
Well, The media are portraying NZ to be a looming side and a dark horse who can possibly upset

I think we are capable of an upset, I think we are capable of reaching the semi finals, but I don't think it will be a walk in the park,

again, the team will have to punch above their weight, I don't have full confidence that we have a solid enough side,

We have good players, whom are streaky in their performance,

You have to get them all aligned, playing well for them to be competitive,

I haven't seen much of the South Africa Tour, but have a look at the results, there is clearly a lot of work still to be done.
guptil, mccullum, taylor and vettori(one last big effort) hold the key.....i also think they need discipline in fast bowling.....they have people who can make big runs but of late their bowling seems total crap.....

as for south africa i don't think they will win the world cup anytime soon if you don't mind me saying so.....i mean what's wrong with their heads? they panic a lot it's laughable.....with kallis and boucher gone, their work has gotten harder.....

i think west indies will be a dangerous side this time.....the real dark horses.....no pun intended.....

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 02:53 PM   #81
country flag ranfurly

Quote:
guptil, mccullum, taylor and vettori(one last big effort) hold the key.....i also think they need discipline in fast bowling.....they have people who can make big runs but of late their bowling seems total crap.....

as for south africa i don't think they will win the world cup anytime soon if you don't mind me saying so.....i mean what's wrong with their heads? they panic a lot it's laughable.....with kallis and boucher gone, their work has gotten harder.....

i think west indies will be a dangerous side this time.....the real dark horses.....no pun intended.....
Yep, you are right, guptill, McCullum, Taylor, I would even add in Kane Williamson, and the experience of Vettori are the ones that need to show their promise, Tim Southee as well as our noted fast bowler.

You are right about the bowling, we did have Alan Donald as bowling coach for a period of time, I'm not too sure if that eventuated into much, the bowling needs to come from the grass roots, and talent picked up early,

The trouble is, when it gets difficult, NZ runs out of options in the bowling department, and we opt for out part time / medium pace bowlers, the thing was, they used to be effective, With Nathan Astle relatively good economic bowling, and Chris Harris (God bless that man!) flighting in-swingers, now they have parted, we aren't left with a lot of options...

Who knows, South Africa are defintly up there, work on their mental game, and I think you have the most rounded and disciplined team, even with the absence of Kallis.

West Indies are playing well, Wouldn't be surprised if they upset a few big games, but don't think they will go all the way,

who knows!! it's exciting!