Tennis Forum banner

Limit the number of foreign tennis players on womens teams

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  SweatySteve 
#1 ·
The NCAA needs a limit on foreign players in women's tennis. Why would you need more than two per team? When they forced colleges to provide equal opportunity to women in college sports, I'm pretty sure they meant American women or at least residents of the US.

If you want more American women to play tennis, make it worthwhile to spend the hours and money working on their game. There's got to be a scholarship available at the end.

There is no significant money made for schools by tennis. It is mostly by men's football or basketball. If you have to spend this money on women's tennis, at least make it American women.

#2 ·
I think the US provides more opportunities than any other country for foreign players to receive a tennis scholarship. At the end of the day, they may become citizens and their children may become Americans. Consider that many foreign professional tennis players reside or have homes here in the US. Consider that many of the top international junior players come here to the US for training. If foreign players are coming here at the junior and professional levels, I don't think the NCAA is going to stop them from coming here at the collegiate level. ;)

The NCAA may like the benefit that it brings as it raises the competition level at Division 1 schools. Coaches are pressured to recruit and develop a competitive and winning team.

At the end of the day, if an American does have scholarship potential, because of the competition level they may have less options at a Division 1 school and may have to resort to a Division 2 or Division 3, or if they're smart they can get into one of the Ivy League schools. :lol:

For instance, Suzy Tan (sister of Stacy Tan-playing for Stanford, blue chip recruit, NCAA singles final runner-up) graduated in 2012 and was a 4-star recruit. It was unlikely that she could follow in her sister's footsteps and play at Stanford. Fortunately, she got her free ride at Dartmouth. I am sure there are many others that eventually get scholarships.

#4 ·
Ivy League does not give athletic scholarship, so it's all merit-based awards or based on income.

#5 ·
Yeah but their financial aid package is quite generous considering the endowments that they receive that allow for hundreds of millions of additional need-based aid.
However, if the parents can afford to pay $360k for their son's Mayback then forget Ivy League and hello UCLA. :haha:

#6 ·
The NCAA needs a limit on foreign players in women's tennis. Why would you need more than two per team? When they forced colleges to provide equal opportunity to women in college sports, I'm pretty sure they meant American women or at least residents of the US.
If you want more American women to play tennis, make it worthwhile to spend the hours and money working on their game. There's got to be a scholarship available at the end.

There is no significant money made for schools by tennis. It is mostly by men's football or basketball. If you have to spend this money on women's tennis, at least make it American women.
Thank you Mitt Romney.

Earn it... your girl ain't good enough but you want a free ride anyway.

How's your business doing competing against int'l market places right now? Oh darn, people are buying your product because they can get better from overseas.

If you are not 'at minimum' top 100 on the Tennis Recruiting list, you should not even think you can get a scholarship and coaches that are giving them are not really trying. 1 in 1000 beyond that can play and win at any decent level vs Top 100 schools.

So you think all the schools should just roll over because you have their are below average AMERICAN girls entitled to free money? I would say they have no special skill and are no more entitled than the other non-athletes working at Starbucks to make ends meet.

I suppose if you are avg to below avg at your job they still keep you around?

This post is EVERYTHING that is wrong with US junior tennis (families).
Spoiled entitled families (98%) that somehow think they are owed scholarships because Sally or Betty can hit a ball but barely beat anyone?

What are you gonna do when Cal and Northwestern don't call but Long Beach State, Cal State Northridge, Wichita State, Louisville and Houston call? Turn them down? Or act like most US kids outside the Top 100 and just ignore the call.

That's was all the Tan's and King's did. They'd take the Ivy financial aid before RETURNING a non-elite public uni's phone call.

This post is EVERYTHING that is wrong with US junior tennis (parents).
And exactly what the USTA is struggling against.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.