Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

*Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

328K views 5K replies 133 participants last post by  Pova 
#1 ·
Go Vika!!:bounce:

#1,013 ·
Congrats all :hug:

Basically about to repeat most things that have already been said, so sorry about that :p

Like lots of you have said, Vika has come a long way mentally. These past 2 weeks have not been the easiest road for her, but mental strength was a key factor that got her through this slam. I still remember the days when the days when she used to be so hard on herself during matches and not being able to forget her mistakes for the rest of the match. Sam has been a really good coach for her.

I think most would agree that she played much better tennis overall in last years tournament, but to overcome all the drama and defend a grand slam is impressive in its own right :yeah:

And I have a few memes coming up :oh: Funnily enough, I was just thinking about that thread like last week :lol:

#1,014 ·
I must admit i never believed, before the tournament, that she actually would win. I would have been so happy with her just keeping a high level.

Actually the playing level was not always the highest, still she was more impressing this week than before.

Leasson learned for me, never doubt.

#1,015 ·
Another comment I want to make about everything that has happened over the last few days. I have no doubt in my mind anymore that Vika has the best team. I really think they got her through the match yesterday. Sam defended her so well and seems to have given her amazing support. Meilen was jumping up and down in the box. As annoying as Redfoo can be, he is so invested in her matches and also seems really supportive. I don't think any other player has a group that care so much and so genuinely.

Oh, and of course her most loyal of fans. :lol: :oh:

#1,018 · (Edited)
Lol really, I missed this.

Pam Shriver's complete 180 was amusing. :rolleyes: Spent the entire match talking about how much the crowd was against her and then tweets this: @PHShriver: We will not see a major final quite like this ever again... Well done Victoria!! Li Na you are brave too! Thanks #espntennis
Virginia Wade made a complete 180 on British Eurosport too. Pre-match they had all tipped Na Li to win and were going on about guff how she deserves it, been better player. Post match Wade come up with some grovelling apology how she didn't really respect Azarenka's game enough pre-match because she thinks people had got worked up with this semi-final "gamesmanshiip" and wanted Na Li to win "for the good of tennis". When really we should have suspected looking at their games that Azarenka's consistent game would win through in the end. I was like what??? She has basically admitted she is a terrible pundit then who can't keep a neutral head.

Should add we've had Jamie Murray in the studio at various points here :rolleyes:, and although he wasn't on for the actual womens final, he was on for the preview, and of course he just went on some personal tirade against Vika. When asked who he thinks will win? He responded that he hopes Na Li because Azarenka's dirtiness this week has left a bad taste in the mouth.

We then have Greg Rusedski who has long been anti-Azarenka (and very pro-Sharapova), and if her game is firing he finds more menial things to complain about her. Eg. he spoke multiple times last year about how Azarenka's dress sense wasn't good for the tour (the shorts, leggings etc.), and he'd like to see more glamour when she is meant to be representing the tour.

Yes this is the sort of crap we have to put up with here in the British Eurosport studio.

#1,019 ·
Vika! :inlove: Really gutted I couldn't watch the match yesterday, as it was apparently really sth. :sad: Did she really sob into her towel after she won? :sad:

Anyways, who'd thought she's manage to defend her title? And winning the final from a set down, amazing! :worship: :hearts:

#1,034 ·
Patrick's back! :cheer:

Next slam...I'd be happy with any of them. The US Open is probably the best bet seeing as Vika's record on hardcourts is ridiculous. A win at Wimbledon would really piss off the haters though. :drool:
Judging from the French Open thread, I think a win in Paris would piss the haters off even more.
Why not all of them? Would be a challenge yes but I'm sure Vika would be all

#1,031 ·
Patrick's back! :cheer:

Next slam...I'd be happy with any of them. The US Open is probably the best bet seeing as Vika's record on hardcourts is ridiculous. A win at Wimbledon would really piss off the haters though. :drool:

#1,035 · (Edited)
I'd love to see her hold the Wimbledon trophy next. :drool: Arguably the most prestigious title and it would press the haters flat like a piece of paper which is always a good thing. :D

IKR, it was already strange after Sloane's press conference actually. She said she was neither particularly bothered nor affected by all that but the media just completely ignored that and continued to make stories about how Vika robbed her of the win and was cheating, using gamesmanship, etc. :facepalm:

#1,039 ·
I really think the French will be the hardest for her to win. Wimbledon, she is probably #3 these days behind Serena and Kvitova. Considering how average Kvitova has been in the last 12 months, she might not be a concern this year. So she could potentially win if she/someone else upsets Serena or if Serena is absent.

I would be willing to put money on the fact that she will win the USO before she retires. She is too good on hard not to win it.

The French will be the toughest for her to win, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

#1,048 ·
Yet the French Open is the most interesting case in terms of the development of her all-around game, cause to win Roland Garros she would have to develop a better transition game and make more use of dropshots and slices. Basically approach it like a Peak Schiavone, cause she cannot overpower players from the baseline like a Na Li or Sharapova. I agree she can win all the other three Slams as it is, although a better serve would make things so much easier. I don´t even want to know, what happens, if Na Li holds at 3-5 in the third like Serena did at the US Open. :tape:

#1,040 ·
Also, Vika's hard court record since the beginning of 2012 is 56-7. Those 7 losses include 2 W/O's and 1 retirement at 3-3 in the first set. The 4 actual losses include 2 to Serena (USO final and YEC RR), 1 to Maria (YEC SF), and 1 to Marion (Miami QF).

What an incredible run she has had. Yet, very few people in GM respect her and say she's lucky. :lol:

#1,046 ·
#1,052 ·
#1,054 ·
I wonder how much was taken out of Vika mentally these 2 weeks. It's been a long ride. 2 weeks to recover though I suppose. Doha and Dubai on paper are a perfect opportunity to exert authority over the rest of tour. It's also in theory Vika's only chance to add points to her total for a while. I'm not sure this will be at the forefront of her mind though, and it's probably more important to take a season long view because it would be really impressive to win another major this year.

#1,056 ·
She withdrew from Dubai to sell the fake injury and MTO from Doha final, which she had to take against the ever threatening Aga.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.