Tennis Forum banner

Daria Sharapova Cheering Club

167K views 637 replies 85 participants last post by  Sobachka 
#1 · (Edited)
She is very well known to be Maria Sharapova's little cousin. Her father is Alexander Sharapov who is Yuri's brother.

She is currently very active junior. Her hype may truly become a reality. She was training at Moscow if I am right before she moved to USA to train at the prestigious Chris Evert Academy.

Despite the fact that she is cute looking little girl, she has the talent. She plays on tournaments of a higher tier than junior girls of her age. She is definetly having a though training by doing so.

Myself is not a very good source of information even though I did find a couple things a while ago.

Yet, I hope that other fans might as well bring something cool from her.

This may be a very early beginning, but I hope that we may fund a very strong base. Let's cheer for our star of the Future... Daria Sharapova!:D

Reactions: -Kieron-
#2 ·
I couldn't resist but I am cheering for Masha Sharapova's little cousin Daria as my second favorite since July 2004... :)

She trains at Evert Tennis Academy and has some sponsors with Wilson tennis racquets and either adidas or Nike.

The most recent photos of Daria Sharapova were taken this summer of 2005 on the Evert Tennis Academy's website:

#3 ·
GREAT NEWS! It's confirmed! Daria Sharapova is committed to play under Girls 12 Singles division at the famous Eddie Herr International tournament from Nov 24 to Dec 4 2005.

http://www.tennisinformation.com/tourny/5/1/6/0/2/3/8/applicants.asp

Daria Sharapova is IN! Da-ta! :wavey: Something to look forward to cheering Daria while Maria is off during her tennis break.

#6 ·
Sharky said:
Well we better hope that she is awfully as good as her big cousin Maria Sharapova, lol.
Daria Sharapova is truly fighting herself... she plays with people like two years older than her.. so I really hope that she will become so... and absolutely hope no injuries...

#7 ·
Another Sharapova makes her mark
By: WTN
Date: July 14, 2004, 8:43pm

There was no clenched fist, no victory squawk, no dropping to her knees - Maria Sharapova's trademarks since she won the Wimbledon championship this month.
Dasha Sharapova, Maria's younger cousin, simply raced to the net to shake her opponent's hand after a 6-0, 6-0 victory yesterday in the first round of the annual youth tournament at the Black Sea resort town of Sochi.

But similarities between the two cousins, and not just the long blonde pony tail, were startling.

Playing her first match since her now famous cousin became the queen of Wimbledon, nine-year-old Dasha displayed a crisp forehand, an accurate two-handed backhand and a strong first serve on the clay courts.

If she missed an occasional ball here and there, her father, sitting nearby, would yell instructions, while a handful of onlookers, parents and coaches, watched in silence.

Dasha's coach, 67-year-old Yuri Yudkin, also Maria's first mentor until she moved to the United States 10 years ago, has been following the elder Sharapova's progress.

"Yes, there are many similarities between the two," said Yudkin, who began coaching Maria when she was 4 1/2.

"She was a very smart girl, catching everything on the fly. I never had to repeat instructions twice to her.

"Dasha, too, is very smart, although she took up tennis when she was seven. That's a bit too late, I think. In my view, you have to start at four or five.

"Of course, it's very hard to predict anything right now, but I think Dasha has a good chance to follow in her cousin's footsteps, mainly because she loves to play tennis so much."

Young Sharapova barely broke into a sweat as she trounced her opponent, 10-year-old Nastya Antipova, in just 36 minutes.

She then ran to her father, who congratulated her on a job well done. But there was no victory embrace and no post-game interviews.

"No, we don't give any interviews," said Alexander Sharapov, making his position abundantly clear with a hint of menace.

Sharapova's beaten opponent did not shy away from the media.

"I'm not too disappointed, although I wanted very much to win just a game off her," Antipova said before her mother Ilona joined the conversation.

"Of course, my daughter wouldn't have a chance against someone like Sharapova. She trains like a pro," Ilona said with a wry smile.

"This is a hobby for us, we have other goals in life besides tennis."

Asked what she wanted to be when she grows up, Nastya said matter-of-factly: "I want to become a police investigator. I want to have my own gun, a suitcase and a big office. Tennis can wait."

Source: www.nzherald.co.nz

#8 ·
Beware: Maria has a cousin

July 15, 2004

Dasha Sharapova. Photo: Reuters

Sochi, Russia: There was no clenched fist, no victory squawk, no dropping to her knees; none of the gestures Maria Sharapova made famous when she won Wimbledon earlier this month.

Nine-year-old Dasha, Maria's younger cousin, simply raced to the net to shake her opponent's hand after a 6-0, 6-0 victory in the first round of an annual Black Sea youth tournament.

But the similarities are startling, way beyond the long blonde ponytail. Playing her first match since Maria became the queen of grasscourt tennis, Dasha displayed a crisp forehand, accurate two-handed backhand and strong first serve on the clay.

And if she missed an occasional ball here and there, her father Alexander, sitting nearby, would yell instructions.

Dasha's coach, Yuri Yudkin, 67, was Maria's first coach when she was 4. "Yes, there are many similarities between the two," he said. "[Maria] was a very smart girl . . . I never had to repeat instructions twice to her.

"Dasha, too, is very smart, although she took up tennis when she was seven. That's a bit too late, I think. In my view, you have to start at four or five.

"Of course, it's very hard to predict anything right now, but I think Dasha has a good chance to follow in her cousin's footsteps, mainly because she loves to play tennis so much."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/14/1089694425073.html

#9 ·
Sharapova pulls out
CARSON (USA):
Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova has withdrawn from next week’s JP Morgan Chase Open, citing the need for rest and recuperation.
The Chase Open was to have been Sharapova’s first American hard court tournament in her preparation for the US Open. Sharapova will rejoin the WTA tour for the Acura Classic on July 26. She also plans to play in the Pilot Pen Classic at New Haven, Connecticut, before competing in the US Open, which begins on August 30. — AP
A combination picture shows 9-year-old Dasha Sharapova (left), younger cousin of Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova (right), serving in the first round of the annual Youth Tennis tournament on clay courts in Sochi on Tuesday. Playing her first match since Maria's triumph at the Wimbledon, Dasha also displayed a crisp forehand, an accurate two-handed backhand and a strong first serve belying her age. — Reuters photos

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040714/sports.htm

#13 ·
Some info from earlier on this year...

http://tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=29902&E=5

Broward Spring Championships

Dates: May 21-23, 2005
Divisions: BG14-10s
Hosting Site: The Tennis Center of Coral Springs
2575 Sportsplex Drive
Coral Springs, FL 33065

Girls' 12 Singles back to top

F (1) Caitlin Bricketto d. (2) Daria Sharapova 6-3; 6-1
SF (2) Daria Sharapova d. Kealia Reynolds 6-1; 6-1
SF (1) Caitlin Bricketto d. Melissa Reutlinger 6-1; 6-1

#16 ·
Safin said:
great pics :hearts: thanks Sharky :kiss:
can't wait to watch Masha Sharapova - Dasha Sharapova match on tour :bounce: :banana:
Well.. Dasha is 10 years old. (her birthday is June 1995)... so we may have to wait at least 6 years before they could meet on the tour. So Maria would be 24 years old. LOL

#17 ·
Sharky said:
Well.. Dasha is 10 years old. (her birthday is June 1995)... so we may have to wait at least 6 years before they could meet on the tour. So Maria would be 24 years old. LOL
:lol: I hope Daria has a chance by the titanic Maria by then...

#19 ·
Sharky said:
Yes, all of them except the very first tournament "Future Stars" which is Girls' 10.
Well yah I noticed that...;)

My question was if G12 meant Girls Singles 12... not like in Juniors it would be the G1, G2, G3.... G5.

But thanks for clarifying!

#23 · (Edited)
Duiz, Sharky was supposed to start this thread but you beat her to it. ;) And I wonder if it's just too soon for Dasha to be promoted and marketed.

Dasha like Maria and Yevgenvy Kafelnikov got her start at the same Sochi tennis club Maria and Yevgeny got started at. And Daria's been coached by Yuri Jutkin who also coached Maria and Yevgeny when they were small.

Dasha at 10 reminds me of Anna Kournikova at 10. ;) And hopefully Dasha will not feel the pressure to be the new Maria Sharapova when it's time for her to try to make the WTA Tour.

Maria also has another young cousin Anya who plays tennis at the Sochi tennis club. But I guess she's not the prospect Dasha is thus we hear very little about her. But it must be hard for her to understand that between her and Dasha that Dasha is the chosen one. But who knows maybe Anya will end up the better tennis player down the road. Only time will tell. Good luck to both of them. I just hope their parents don't put too much pressure on them to be top tennis players. Reality says the odds are against them.

#24 ·
the cat said:
Duiz, Sharky was supposed to start this thread but you beat her to it. ;) And I wonder if it's just too soon for Dasha to be promoted and marketed.
Now you are going to make a polll with the moderators to see if they can delete my thread so the Sharkiee can put hers... CAT!:mad:

:p

t doesn't matter who starts it... In fact... I am meaningless and with no glory at all. I just started the thread, it is up to all of her fans to raise it up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.