WWW?

• Peak Ivanovic

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • Peak Sharapova

Votes: 73 66.4%

Peak Ivanovic vs. Peak Sharapova

10K views 69 replies 41 participants last post by  Tag 
#1 ·
So :oh: These two met when Sharapova was playing lights out tennis at AO 2008. The best tennis she had played since fall 2006. It was her Peak. Ivanoic playing grea tennis herself that Austrailian season was the only player to make a competitive match against Sharapova losing 5-7, 3-6 in the final before she went on to play even better tennis that half of the year.

Who wins this Peak vs. Peak match:
Ivanoic at her Peak had a serve to match Sharapova's and a much much better forehand. Sharapova has the superior backhand by far but Ivanovic has much better movement. I think Ivanovic' frst strike tennis when her forehand was on was deadlier, she waits maybe 2 shots before going for a winner and runs around her backhand superbly. Sharapova can hit through the court better on both sides though.​
Discuss.​

VERSUS

WHO. WILL. WIN.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sharapova pretty easily, and no Ivanovic does not have a much better forehand than Maria when both are at their peak. Pretty comparable actually. Her movement can hardly be called much better also..

Reactions: Helen Lawson
#7 ·
Let me be the first to say that I voted with my head and some other things but I will have to say Ivanovic. Sharapova has the better career (obviously) and is clearly competing at the top of women's tennis consistently but I have to say that if Ivanovic could pull it together she could really spoil things among the top 5.

She reminds me of Capriati because her forehand is lethal when she is "on" and the reason I give her the edge over Sharapova is because Ivanovic has much better movement. I know Maria has gotten the best of Ana more times but I still think that the best Ivanovic can deliver would be better than Sharapova. So for the sake of the argument....and because its the off-season I say Ivanovic wins 6-4 1-6 7-5

#8 ·
Let me be the first to say that I voted with my head and some other things but I will have to say Ivanovic. Sharapova has the better career (obviously) and is clearly competing at the top of women's tennis consistently but I have to say that if Ivanovic could pull it together she could really spoil things among the top 5.

She reminds me of Capriati because her forehand is lethal when she is "on" and the reason I give her the edge over Sharapova is because Ivanovic has much better movement. I know Maria has gotten the best of Ana more times but I still think that the best Ivanovic can deliver would be better than Sharapova. So for the sake of the argument....and because its the off-season I say Ivanovic wins 6-4 1-6 7-5
She wouldn't even if she was playing PeakShoulderPova.:lol:

#11 ·
Ivanovic may have chances only on clay, but against improved ClayPova not that much chances

I don't think that is true Ivanovic really took it to Maria in the SF of Roland Garros in 2007 and had she not met Justine in the final she may not only have 1 Grand Slam title. That being said I don't deny Sharapova has proven her self thus far to be superior I just think Ivanovic hasn't fully reached her peak. Remember I said for the sake of the argument lol
there are a number of tennis players who " had she not met Justine in the final she may " win more RG titles

#18 · (Edited)
^She will always have haters. People on this board love to hate her :lol:

Oh yes, have to be realistic here. Probably Sharapova on everything but clay. But I don't know, at their respective peaks the biggest weapon on court would be Ana's forehand. Sure it's inconsistent at times and can crumble under pressure, but at Ana's peak it's relentless, and she could use it to boss around almost anyone. Their serves would both be very good, hard to call. And therefore both players' return games would be neutralized. Peak Pova would have the edge on backhand and mentality (pretty significant), Ana would have the edge on forehand, movement, finesse. I think overall they'd have some close, competitive matches. Some might say that Pova would blow Ana away but I don't think it would be the case. People forget that rising Ana (pre-breakthrough and pre-brainfart) pushed Sharapova very hard at the end of 2006, a time that many would say Sharapova was at her peak. It was a brutal hard-hitting match in Linz and both of them refused to buckle or get pushed around. Either way I think at their peaks they would both serve really well so it would be close more often than not :shrug: Definite edge to Sharapova though anywhere but clay.

#34 ·
^She will always have haters. People on this board love to hate her :lol:

Oh yes, have to be realistic here. Probably Sharapova on everything but clay. But I don't know, at their respective peaks the biggest weapon on court would be Ana's forehand. Sure it's inconsistent at times and can crumble under pressure, but at Ana's peak it's relentless, and she could use it to boss around almost anyone. Their serves would both be very good, hard to call. And therefore both players' return games would be neutralized. Peak Pova would have the edge on backhand and mentality (pretty significant), Ana would have the edge on forehand, movement, finesse. I think overall they'd have some close, competitive matches. Some might say that Pova would blow Ana away but I don't think it would be the case. People forget that rising Ana (pre-breakthrough and pre-brainfart) pushed Sharapova very hard at the end of 2006, a time that many would say Sharapova was at her peak. It was a brutal hard-hitting match in Linz and both of them refused to buckle or get pushed around. Either way I think at their peaks they would both serve really well so it would be close more often than not :shrug: Definite edge to Sharapova though anywhere but clay.
Debateable. Peak Ana's forehand had more raw pace than any of Maria's shots, but Peak Maria's backhand is still more deadly AND more reliable than Peak Ana's FH imo.

Anywho, probably Peak Maria on all surfaces.

#36 ·
Debateable. Peak Ana's forehand had more raw pace than any of Maria's shots
Not sure I agree with that, peak Maria's forehand has nothing to envy from anyone's, including power. She can hit it in the high 80's, low 90's (mph)

#56 ·
Not sure I agree with that, peak Maria's forehand has nothing to envy from anyone's, including power. She can hit it in the high 80's, low 90's (mph)
This is actually a misconception. Maria at her very best actually rarely hits MASSIVE (90mph+) shots in terms of pace.

What makes Peak Maria so brilliant is that she gets such fantastic length on her shots and can land every ball within centimetres of the baseline - the type of control that Peak Ivanovic could only dream of getting with her forehand (even if she'd occasionally hit a pacier shot than Peak Maria could, her average rally ball would be far more innocuous and land much shorter than Peak Maria's rally ball). And that's before you even consider that Peak Ivanovic would be hitting more shots out than Peak Maria would.

#22 ·
Ivanovic could've beaten Sharapova alot more if it wasnt for her chokes and her brain. Her game was spectacular except that horrendous bh, but the rest of her game was flowing very well at her peak. Ivanovic i think has an edge over Masha on clay. Masha however has an edge on indoor courts, grass and fast hardcourts.

#24 ·
mental strength is also part of the game.... Ivanovic on clay in Rome again has shown that playing on her best surface she is still too mentally weak to beat Sharapova

#27 ·
Oh, again.

I really don't understand why people post those highlights from 2007 (3 one-sided matches, right?), when they were not both playing well in those matches. Actually, they usually don't play good matches, their match from 2006 is probably the best one they played, they were not at their peaks, but it's closest to what their games looked like when they play well:

As for those who think that their Peak vs. Peak match would be somewhat one-sided... I don't know... They are deluded, retarded or both, because Maria and Ana actually used to have a serve.

#37 ·
Oh, Ana's fh... :lol:

Even today it's the most consistent shot in her game and it used to be more consistent. Of course, her latest matches against Safarova, Vinci, Oprandi suggest otherwise, but in general, her game falls apart when her serve is off (bh too, obviously, but it basically doesn't exist anymore), fh is rarely the main suspect.

During her prime, her fh was huge and heavy, but she was never painting the lines with it, it wasn't a hit or miss shot. That's why she hardly ever struggled against counterpunchers, she didn't go for too much. Now she has a problem because her fh is weaker and she can't finish the point easily like she used to, it's much easier to redirect the ball to her bh than in the past.

#39 ·
more like Sharapova's backhand will finish that match in straights 7-5 6-2 or something like that ....
Ivanovic's forehand will just let her stay on par till 5-5 in first set and then choke time begins

#42 ·
Matt, you're predictable

Next time you'll appear in Peak Wozniacki vs Peak Sharapova thread with approximately the same post

#44 ·
haven't you seen Groundhog Day?

All these threads are opened by Ivanovic , the only one who still considers herself taller :)lol:) and better than Sharapova

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.