Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

305K views 5K replies 156 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
Time for a new volume!

#353 ·
I couldn't even see the end of it because of tunnel bear :banghead: I have no way to make expat shield work on windows 8 and I can't get an UK ip with any program to watch BBC :\

#357 ·
Same ^^^ I sometimes confuse people on there and here but then find out it's not actually them.....

#367 ·
I bet some of them love that Maria responded simply because Serena was being raked over the coals for her victim blaming comments on the Steubenville case(to the point where she had to "apologize" for them) and Maria took attention away from that.

Fucking ironic that they would call Maria's comments a low blow when it's so minor in comparison to the bullshit that came out of Serena's mouth on that case.

#368 · (Edited)
Believe it or not, I actually sided with Serena on this. She dealt with the situation first-hand to Maria, and I think it was immature for Maria to lash back at Serena during the press conference like that. But I guess it can be said the same to Serena who has many faces, or shall I say "egos:" she can be seen as a calm, collected persona on the public, but behind the scene she is as silly as any of us, saying stupid things and act like a 5 year-old. The good thing was she doesn't expose her "bad side" to the public quite often anymore, but that interview with Rolling Stone definitely proved that it was there.

Both are at wrong, but I see Maria more at fault, knowing that she had the chance to be a hero, to put the fire out by accepting William's apology––but she didn't. And I understand that as well. However, seeing her as an idol, I expected her to, but I guess everyone is just human, and can succumb our rationale to emotion.

Anyway, we can all make mistake, I hope both Maria and Serena can learn from it, and act like adults, and move on.

#370 ·
I don't really agree. We never heard Serena's apology, and by her account she didn't properly apologise for her own actions - just for the fact that Maria had been dragged into it. Just like with her first apology about the Steubenville thing, she didn't take accountability for her actions - just blamed the reporter for what she "supposedly" said.

The way I see it, you hit someone, expect to be hit back. Even if you've apologised, you're still owed one. Yeah, it would have been better for Maria to not have responded, and she would've been 1 up on Serena, but by hitting back they're level. All's square. And it's done.
I swear this is my last post on this subject and then I'm done. I think in a way Maria was fed up? She's fed up with being viewed as an also ran by the press because of her losing streak to Serena. Yes she's the glamourous blonde and there are many privileges that go with that but the downside is that she is not taken as seriously. Remember when people say Maria was just Anna Kournikova with a slam? She made an impressive comeback from an injury that has ended careers but because she didn't come back as fast as Kim did after having her baby or Serena after her near death experience there were those who were ready to write her off as a has been. I mean how can anyone forget the way the American press drooled over themselves when she lost to Melanie Oudin? For all the haters talk about how the American press kiss Maria's ass, they actually don't because Maria refuses to become an American citizen. When people talk about her it's often her looks and her glamour girl image they talk about first, not her accomplishments as an athlete which she has quite a few.

So yeah for all of what she's done, from becoming a self made millionaire to being in the history books forever due to her Career Slam there are many who still view her as an also ran just because Serena has done more and has done it at her expense.

Looking at all that, I can easily see why she would want to lob something back, instead of just taking the "no comment" route. She has achieved so much but it gets overshadowed by another player and that's frustrating to deal with.

And I'm done.

#369 ·
I don't really agree. We never heard Serena's apology, and by her account she didn't properly apologise for her own actions - just for the fact that Maria had been dragged into it. Just like with her first apology about the Steubenville thing, she didn't take accountability for her actions - just blamed the reporter for what she "supposedly" said.

The way I see it, you hit someone, expect to be hit back. Even if you've apologised, you're still owed one. Yeah, it would have been better for Maria to not have responded, and she would've been 1 up on Serena, but by hitting back they're level. All's square. And it's done.

#371 ·
I posted this yesterday, and I will repost it here:
This whole dramz is so lame and stupid. Oh, poor Serena now has amnesia and doesn't remember who she was talking about. Which means she is dissing all WTA.. Maria on the other hand could have followed Vichka's path and could have said - I do not want to comment on useless statements..
and also this on twitter:

Thinking if this Serena-Maria issue.. and of what Serena said and of the idea that he might have been more than friends with her, it is ugly
That is my opinion.

#375 ·
What was the comment? The thread is locked and can't find any post. Do I want to know or better to stay ignorant on this matter? ...

#379 ·
Oh my, the other SS is so obsessed with Martha in their Wimbledon thread wanting her to get torn limb from limb by Serena :oh:
I mean....pretty sure we aren't obsessed with moaning about Serena in here right? There's barely been a post about her

So maybe all along, when GM stated our fanbase was the worst trolls ever, it was in fact Serena Slam #conspiracy

#387 ·
Serena Slam is easily the worst, it's just everyone is too scared of them to say it. It's like mob rule in GM, and they don't want to upset them.
Accurate. Juju Heng and Kimothy need to come back and restore some balance by bringing back the Henin and Clijsters fans to keep the trolling cute and multi-dimensional in GM. Now it's either Sarin or Martha in GM.

#386 ·
So true. I guess there are some players I dont like but like watching them play (sometimes in the hope they will lose :devil:) but when it gets to a certain level of hatred when beyond negative statements such as the ones listed above...its time to give yourself that bit of separation and just not let it go to that weird and unnecessary place. It is just tennis after all.

#389 ·
I'm over this subject too but I agree with jadefox's post from the standpoint that half the questions Maria gets asked in the press box is about her boyfriend,her candy line,and/or drama with Serena instead of tennis..and whether Serena was talking about her or not, the rolling stone article just made the superficial questions skyrocket and she got frustrated. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.