Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

328K views 6K replies 110 participants last post by  Zamboni 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the Simona Halep cheering thread :wavey:

#548 ·
Wow, this is an unexpected surprise, I didn't think she would let Marcu go so fast, but I'm glad she did. Marcu is not exactly young but he doesn't have any big names or big performances in his coaching CV. And his on-court coaching sessions were just dreadful. I think Simona is 100% right, she has gotten to a point where a coach like Marcu cannot help her anymore. She needs a world class coach, and until she finds one, Ruzici can be her unofficial coach, not just her manager. I still think Mlendea is the one that helped Simona to find the necessary confidence in her game to be able to fulfil her potential. Why else would Jankovic have hired him? She also has some problems in the mental department that have kept her from winning a GS, she definitely has the talent. She must've heard what Mlendea did for Halep so she is hoping he can do the same for her.
I think Simona made the right decision and I can't wait for the 2014 season to start. Even though I am a little disappointed that she won't play in Brisbane, I wanted to see her against one of Serena, Vika or Maria before the AO.

#549 ·
Wow, this is an unexpected surprise, I didn't think she would let Marcu go so fast, but I'm glad she did. Marcu is not exactly young but he doesn't have any big names or big performances in his coaching CV. And his on-court coaching sessions were just dreadful. I think Simona is 100% right, she has gotten to a point where a coach like Marcu cannot help her anymore. She needs a world class coach, and until she finds one, Ruzici can be her unofficial coach, not just her manager. I still think Mlendea is the one that helped Simona to find the necessary confidence in her game to be able to fulfil her potential. Why else would Jankovic have hired him? She also has some problems in the mental department that have kept her from winning a GS, she definitely has the talent. She must've heard what Mlendea did for Halep so she is hoping he can do the same for her.
I think Simona made the right decision and I can't wait for the 2014 season to start. Even though I am a little disappointed that she won't play in Brisbane, I wanted to see her against one of Serena, Vika or Maria before the AO.
That she avoided this is a bit worrying and I hope it's not the trend for the rest of the season...

#558 ·
Why do all of my faves seem to fire their coaches at the most unexpected times?:confused: Sabine fired Wim Fissette after he helped her reach the Wimbledon finals and now I think she is having a hard time finding a coach. (She also fired Ricardo Sanchez and had a temporary arrangement with Robert Orlek earlier in the year) Why would a coach want to coach a player where there is little job security and success is rewarded like this?

Hopefully Simona won't have this problem, but with all of the success she had with Marcu the other coaches must be scratching their heads just like us. Simona is proabably one of the players who can best get along without a coach as Marcu rarely made on-court visits and Simona was able to make adjustments herself. But my philosphy with something like this is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I just hope this doesn't end her momentum going into next season.

#565 ·
Well done Simona!

Most Improved Player Of The Year: Simona

It all started with an incredible run in the Eternal City and now, six months later, she's on the brink of the Top 10 - Simona Halep is the WTA's Most Improved Player Of The Year for 2013.

Published November 21, 2013 12:05

CONSTANTA, Romania - It all started with an incredible run in the Eternal City and now, six months later, she's on the brink of the Top 10 - Simona Halep is the WTA's Most Improved Player Of The Year.

For years, Halep had been touted as a future star - a Grand Slam champion and World No.1 in juniors, buckets of talent, even three WTA finals to her name between 2010 and 2012. But she never quite got that one big result - that big breakthrough that gave anyone proof she'd make it just as big in the pros.

Going into the Internazionali BNL d'Italia in May, Halep was still stuck in that place. In her first nine WTA main draws of 2013 she put together a 7-9 record, which - combined with her 5-11 record in her last 11 WTA main draws of 2012 - added up to winning just 12 of her last 32 WTA main draw matches.

Boy, did things turn around in Rome.

As a No.64-ranked qualifier, Halep went on the kind of run that turns a pretender into a believer, beating four of the game's biggest names - Svetlana Kuznetsova, Agnieszka Radwanska, Roberta Vinci and Jelena Jankovic - before finally running out of gas against Serena Williams in the semifinals.

"It was an incredible week for me," Halep said after falling to Williams that day. "I feel good that I'm No.44 now. It's difficult to think about how high I can go now, because it's hard work and every week it's difficult for every player, so I just have to keep going and working and we'll see what happens."

What happened was an absolute breakthrough six months - including that run in Rome, Halep went 43-8 in her last 14 WTA main draws of the year, winning her first six WTA titles at Nürnberg, 's-Hertogenbosch, Budapest, New Haven, Moscow and Sofia, and finishing at No.11 on the November 4 year-end rankings.

"I want to enjoy this moment and then take some holidays, and just relax," Halep said after capturing the title in Sofia. "Hopefully I can play next year like I played this year and do well in Australia."

All eyes should be on Halep's ranking in Australia - she's just a few hundred points away from the No.10-ranked player in the world and, with little to defend in the first four months of the year, she looks like the best bet to become the next player to break into the Top 10 for the first time.

That could be big news in Romania - only two Romanians have ever made the Top 10 on the WTA, namely Virginia Ruzici, who made it to No.8, and Irina Spirlea, who got to No.7. How high can Halep go?

#568 ·
:hearts:Congradulation Simona!!!!:hearts:

#570 ·
Top 3 Simona's matches in 2013 - from the level of her play in my opinion

1. 7-6; 6-2 ag S. Stosur - Moscow F (both players played Top5 game, the first set being of amazing quality)
2. 6-0; 6-1 ag R. Vinci - Holland Q
3. 6-7; 6-1; 6-2 ag A. Radwanska - Rome R32

PS: Moved from press thread :)

#574 ·
Top level

1.Rome whit Jankovici
2.New Haven whit Kvitova
3.Moscow whit Stosur

Mention: Maria K on Us Open

#575 ·
Her match with Petkovic was great too. Deserves to be in the top 3 imo. She played many great matches this year. It's hard to pick 3 only.

#576 ·
Sadly I missed her match vs Nastia in Moscow. I looked for it on youtube but couldn't find it. I requested it on tennnis4you but no one uploaded it for me.

#582 ·
1. 6-1, 6-0 against Kirilenko at US Open (not exactly the score, but the quality she showed. I think that was the match she liked the most too, there was some amazing shots coming from here)
2. 6-0, 6-1 against Vinci at Top Shelf Open (I think I remember all the strokes she hit in that match without watching it)
3. 4-6, 6-0, 7-5 against Jankovic at Rome (there was quality, but the drama was even bigger. Great match overall.)

Also vs. Flipkens (Top Shelf), vs Vinci (Rome), vs. Petkovic (Nurnberg), vs. Wozniacki and Kvitova (NH)

#584 ·
#587 ·
she had a great performance the last 6 months but from what i remember

against vinci at Top Shelf Open

against Stosur at moscow

against petra and Wozniacki new haven

mentally she was great in sf and final of sofia

#590 ·
Well Sugarpova has a lot of fans over the world, so it's not surprizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.