Tennis Forum banner

Vero Cepede Royg

68K views 786 replies 36 participants last post by  LegionArgentina 
#1 · (Edited)
VERONICA CEPEDE ROYG

Birth Date: 21 January 1992
Birth Place: Asunción, Paraguay
Residence: Asunción, Paraguay
Plays: Right Handed (Double Handed Backhand)
Favourite Surface: Clay
Coach: Alfredo De Beix
Age Started Tennis: 5
Hobbies: TV, Internet
Favourite players: Federer, Sharapova
Ambition in tennis: WTA top 10

Career ITF Titles: 1
Current WTA Ranking: 1001
Highest WTA Ranking: 823
Career Junior Titles: 4 (7 Doubles)
Current Junior Ranking: 34
Highest Junior Ranking: 15

Best 5 Victories:
#165 Catalina Castano 2-6 6-2 6-3 - Fed Cup 2009
#372 Nathalia Rossi 6-0 6-3 - $10K Bauru 2009
#435 Roxane Vaisemberg 4-6 7-6(2) 6-3 - Fed Cup 2009
#439 Vivian Segnini 6-0 6-3 - $10K Bauru 2009
#448 Emilia Yorio 6-2 6-2 - $10K Bauru 2009

17-year-old Veronica Cepede is the first Paraguayan woman since Rossana de los Rios to reach the final of a WTA or ITF tournament!
She will play the final of $10,000 Bauru in Brazil tomorrow against Brazilian Vivian Segnini. :D

Veronica is a very sweet and humble girl and a very gifted tennis player. She can generate a solid amount of power, a great forehand and good mental strength too, and although she can become frustrated with herself, this sometimes works for her. She has been as high as #12 in juniors. Her best win to date was over Catalina Castano at Fed Cup this year. :)

Currently ranked 1000, but this is just her second tournament of the year.

Her path to the final this week:
Final: Cepede Royg vs. Vivian Segnini(4)
Semifinal: Cepede Royg def. Emilia Yorio(5) 62 62
Quarterfinal: Cepede Royg def. Fernanda Faria 60 60
Second Round: Cepede Royg def. Nathalia Rossi(1) 60 63
First Round: Cepede Royg def. Andressa Garcia 36 63 63

Great to see a Paraguayan coming up the rankings!!

A recent photo of Veronica with Zsofia Susanyi, Noppawan Lertcheewakarn and Elena Bogdan at the Junior US Open this year.

Good luck in your WTA career Veronica! :worship: :D

See less See more
#464 ·
What a week for her in Mallorca :eek: :D

5 straight wins including today's marathon over Laura Siegemund! Great determination, grit and patience on display coming from 5-3* down in the final set to win the next 4 games and close out the match! I did not expect her to win this one :) Final score was 7-6(5) 3-6 7-5. I could be wrong but this may be the first time she has beaten two top 100 players back-to-back. On grass nonetheless :eek:

I guess that Olympics wildcard gave her a big confidence boost as well as finally winning her first Grand Slam match at RG a couple of weeks ago. She must feel like she really believes in herself at this level now. Let's hope she can sustain and even build on this :)

Vero's now at her career high ranking at 123 :yeah: Good luck against Flipkens! She will be very tough, Vero needs to keep her UE's down and go for her shots, but she has nothing to lose. I hope she's not too tired.

#465 ·
Well, she lost to Flipkens, but put up a good fight :hug: Led 5-3 in the first set but couldn't close it out. She was level at 3-3 in the second set still but then fell apart at the end, Flipkens is just far too experienced on this surface.
Congrats on a great week Vero!
Next I guess will be Wimbledon qualies?

#466 ·
This week Vero is playing in USA (75K Alburquerque ) and she is into the final. In doubles it was not a good week lost early in the first round.

#477 ·
I watched the whole match and wow! Vero played some amazing tennis! I didn't know she could hit the ball like that. She did have a rough second set, where during one of her coach calls she told him that she was feeling 'a bit afraid and doubtful', but that final set was just thrilling. Really happy for her! Finally some great news for Latin American tennis :yeah:

#478 ·
:yeah: Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I couldn't watch the match :sad: That's great to hear she was playing so well! It was one of the best victories of her career so far :D :hug: Glad to hear Ramon is giving good coaching and helping her develop mentally as well.

Not really bothered about the AO, she lost in Q1 last year after nearly beating Cornet (eventual champion) in Hobart 2R. Hope she can build on this and get closer and closer to the top 100 :) The second half of last year was disappointing, especially from Wimbledon - December.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.