Votes: 24 16.2%
  • Top 400

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 2.7%

Olivia Rogowska

343K views 4K replies 144 participants last post by  Tess 
#1 ·
Olivia Rogowska is another 16 year old sensation from Melbourne. The young Victorian has played a minimal amount of matches on the ITF Junior Circuit, instead preferring to improve and build on her results on the ITF Women's Circuit. She was a member of the victorious 2007 Junior Fed Cup team, and has performed consistently well on the Australian Money Tournament Circuit, consistently reaching quarter and semi finals throughout the season. She will compete on the upcoming Tennis Pro Circuit, in pursuit of a higher ranking. The biggest win of her career to date was over Cassandra Barr en route to the second round of a challenger in Victoria last year.

Current WTA Singles Ranking: 986 (Mon Oct 1, 2007)
Career High WTA Singles Ranking: 986 (Mon Oct 1, 2007)

#2 ·
Olivia has been granted a wildcard into the main draw of the Gympie ITF Women's Circuit event this coming week. Hopefully she can put the wildcard to good use and get some more experience. If she drew someone like Cassandra Barr or Lauren Breadmore in the first round, I reckon she'd have a good shot at winning the match and picking up some points :)

GOOD LUCK OLIVIA :bounce:

#10 ·
I watched most of the match. Missed all but the last game of the 3rd set though as I had a feeling it was gonna be a whitewash.
Olivia seems like a nice girl & has a decent game.
Ye-Ra Lee has to be one of the worst players ever to reach top 500 though & I think that every single time I watch her play.
Jess Moore will kill her tomorrow, so easily.
As far as Rogowska goes, she not at the same level as Moore, Hubacek or Mirkovic yet. She has potential with those flat, Dittman like groundies though.
I really doubt she'll ever go top 300 though.

#427 ·
Re: Oooh Olivia RoGOATska

Bundaberg $25K QF: (3) O. Rogowska def (5) E. Starr 6-1 6-2

INTO THE TOP 300 :hearts: Well done Olivia! Keep going, Moore in the SF. If she could beat her, she'd have to be the front runner for the FO WC.

Good luck and good job, Olivia! :yeah:

oh..

and

I watched most of the match. Missed all but the last game of the 3rd set though as I had a feeling it was gonna be a whitewash.
Olivia seems like a nice girl & has a decent game.
Ye-Ra Lee has to be one of the worst players ever to reach top 500 though & I think that every single time I watch her play.
Jess Moore will kill her tomorrow, so easily.
As far as Rogowska goes, she not at the same level as Moore, Hubacek or Mirkovic yet. She has potential with those flat, Dittman like groundies though.
I really doubt she'll ever go top 300 though.
Since Oct 2007, Olivia's only won just the one 3 set match (against Mirkovic). She may wanna work on her fitness a bit more! The last 4 matches she's lost have been 3 setters Not a good sign early on. I hope she can reach the top 400 by the end of her career......
I really hope you're right Lou Lou. I dunno, I really wasn't impressed with her when I saw her at Gympie this time last year. Guess I'll wait to see her at Brissie in Jan before I decide. At this stage, I don't reckon she'll go top 300 though....

:nerner: :inlove:

#12 ·
Olivia has followed the tennis trail to Traralgon this week, where she is playing in the qualifying draw.

In the first round Olivia scored a great 6-4 6-4 win over 18 year old Emelyn Starr (WTA-902). In the second round, Olivia scored arguably the best victory of her young career, a 4-6 7-6(4) 6-1 win over 3rd seed Anne Yelsey (WTA-533) to advance through to the final round of qualifying. In a match that will be played today, Olivia faces another American, the 15th seed Courtney Vernon (WTA-824).

I think she has a good chance of qualifying and picking up another point for her WTA Ranking...all the best :)

#13 ·
Bump!

Great article on Olivia on the TA Website today:

It's been a busy month for 16-year-old Olivia Rogowska. Just hours after stepping off a flight from Italy, Olivia is at Rod Laver Arena where former Australian Davis Cup Captain Neale Fraser is waiting to congratulate the Optus Australian Junior Davis and Junior Fed Cup teams on their recent success in Italy. As if this isn't enough, there is TV, newspaper and magazine journalists waiting to interview Victoria's newest tennis stars.
Like a true pro, Olivia happily answers questions and poses for photos with the impressive silverware she's helped secure in Reggio Emilia. Her bubbly personality, positive outlook and enthusiasm made her an instant favourite with the assembled media.
At a time when precocious talents all too regularly command the spotlight for all the wrong reasons, it's refreshing to meet an up-and-coming player who is dedicated to maximising her potential.
The junior Fed Cup win was no small feat. Olivia, along with Sally Peers (Vic.) and Isabella Holland (Qld) had to play some tough matches against the top teams in the world. Led by team captain Louise Pleming, Olivia, Sally and Isabella took on all challengers and came out on top.
For Olivia, the trip was an invaluable experience. "I was so excited [to win] and so happy, it was great work from all of us. We all supported each other really well and we acted as a really good team, so that's definitely what helped us get through."
It was Olivia's first time representing Australia, so she only played one match (a tough three-set singles loss against Russia), but she played a big role in supporting her teammates.
"I was involved quite a bit and I was working very hard over there … I still had lots of fun and I was still very tense, just like the other girls. And I was tired at the end of the day, just like them," Olivia explains.
For the three girls it was an exhilarating, but exhausting time. "It was completely full on,' says Olivia. ‘We left for the courts at 7 o'clock in the morning and got back at 7 o'clock at night and we were just absolutely exhausted and didn't have time to do any school work."
The chance to travel and sample the culture other countries have to offer is something that Olivia would like to experience more of. While in Italy she fell in love with the country's food and people, and took over 400 pictures.
Olivia's selection for the Junior Fed Cup team came after selectors noticed her impressive results in Victoria's winter competition – pennant – along with standout performances at the Nationals and on the pro circuit.
She plays and trains at Royal South Yarra Tennis Club where she has been a scholarship holder for the past few years. She is coached there by Andrew McLean, who has been her coach since Olivia took up tennis at the age of five.
Training sessions are conducted twice a day, for one-and-a-half to two hours per session. "It's really tough, he always makes me run really hard," says Olivia.
To fit in this strict training schedule, Olivia completes her school work via home school. Currently she is studying Year 10 and has been home schooled since the beginning of Year 7. "I wouldn't be able to train if I had to go to school, so that [home schooling] was the only option for me."
It's a big sacrifice to make, but one that Olivia doesn't regret. She says she has missed going to school with students her own age ‘a little bit', but she doesn't feel as if she has missed anything by not going to school.
"That was the one sacrifice [going to high school], but I've got lots of good friends in tennis, so that makes up for it," she says.
Outside of tennis Olivia is much like any other teenager. She enjoys reading, listening to music (all types), playing the piano and spending time with her family. The only difference is one day Olivia could be playing the game she loves in front of millions
of people.
Ultimately, Olivia would like to break into the top 20 and play at the French Open, because "it looks like the most beautiful tournament".
For now though, Olivia will continue to train, study and prepare herself for her next challenge – "to travel as much as I can, try to go as well as possible in all the tournaments I play and get a big ranking … and get noticed on the tennis court".
With her outlook and ability that shouldn't be a problem.

#23 ·
I love Olivia!

I saw her match against Dokic yesterday and I have to say, she is such a promising player! Even though she looks so tiny, we thought she was 12 when she was sitting next to us watching Feety and Abithite or whoever they were, I asked my friend if she was a player, and he was like...i don't think so...

and as we were walking over to her match with Dokic, she was behind us breathing really heavily and fast like she must have been really nervous, but once she hit the court she was incredible, and now i'm certainly going to be supporting her!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.