Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

490K views 5K replies 229 participants last post by  jameshazza 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :wavey:

Thought maybe we could use a thread here to post all the news, interviews, and articles we find on Masha. :)

I just got my new Tennis Week magazine and Maria is on the cover again (she was also on the March cover). :eek:

If they haven't been posted already, I'll scan in the pics and article and post them here later.

#310 ·
Oh my god Pieter, it's true! Maria isn't getting spanked after bad match now, when Yuri was around he spanked her and then she played well in her next match!

nobody has bloody anything to do with HER confidence, she needs to sort it out in her head. I do however think getting extra help from another coach would be a good idea tennis wise, but that again can't help her mentally if she doesn't sort things out with herself.

#316 ·
Stars Join Leaders For World Poverty Summit
6:49am UK, Tuesday September 21, 2010
Tim Marshall in New York.

The leaders of 140 countries have been joined by celebrities such as Antonio Banderas, Maria Sharapova and Zinedine Zidane in New York for a world poverty summit.
They met to review progress on the Millenium Development Goals (MDG) - 10 years after solemn promises to eradicate extreme poverty and hunger by 2015.
The UN countries made a raft of promises at the turn of the century amid great fanfare.
Among the other goals set were to achieve universal primary education, empower women, reduce child mortality and improve maternal health.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-New...mit_In_New_York

#328 ·
I don't think that is happening. They are just assuming she will play since she is qualified but I'm not sure. If she doesn't make it for the YEC it would be great, of course, but Maria doesnt like playing a lot.
BTW, Tokyo/Beijing/Moscow/Bali it's just great, lots of points and the chance of a high seed at AO!

#331 ·
From Facebook:

Maria Sharapova I thought it was important for me and all my fans to take the time to recognize Billie Jean and the Original Nine for everything they have done for women's tennis. I am personally grateful for their vision and their 'fight' for all the generations that followed them. I am very aware and humbled of what these nine women have done for my career.

#332 ·
:worship: She really really loves BJK and everything she stands for. :worship:

40 YEARS ON...THE ORIGINAL 9

On September* 23rd 1970, the birth of women's professional tennis was launched when nine players signed $1 contracts with World Tennis publisher Gladys Heldman to compete in a new women's tour.

The Original 9, as they were called, included Billie Jean King, Rosie Casals, Nancy Richey, Kerry Melville, Peaches Bartkowicz, Kristy Pigeon, Judy Dalton, Valerie Ziegenfuss and Julie Heldman.

Heldman, along with her friend Joe Cullman from Philip Morris and several others, provided women's professional tennis the opportunity the Original 9 and so many others sought. The inaugural $7,500 Virginia Slims of Houston was established on September 23, 1970 and it was the event that became the groundbreaker for all others.

Maria's thoughts on what the Orginal 9 achieved: " I thought it was important for me and all my fans to take the time to recognize Billie Jean King and the Original Nine for everything they have done for women's tennis. I am personally grateful for their vision and their "fight" for all the generations that followed them. I am very aware and humbled of what these 9 women have done for my career."

#334 ·
"My opponent played really a solid match," the 23-year-old Sharapova said.
"I didn't feel comfortable throughout the match. [My] rhythm wasn't there and I couldn't take an advantage. She did a good job.
"Her style of play is quite different. Her strokes are pretty fast, she stays inside the baseline and takes the ball early, so the style is different from the majority on the tour.
"On this fast surface, she uses that advantage, especially today, I think she did incredibly well," added the Russian.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/27/3023236.htm?site=sport&section=tennis

#335 ·
"Momentum is so big in tennis," said the three-time grand slam winner, who is still struggling to return to the top of the women's game after shoulder surgery in 2008.
"If you give your opponent a chance they can get confident and take the momentum away."
Sharapova, who committed 11 double-faults in total, praised the fitness of her opponent, who returned to professional tennis in 2008 after 12 years away from the game.
"It's incredible," said Sharapova. "It just shows you how she has stayed in such great shape while away from the game. She is incredibly fit."

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idCATRE68Q1LS20100927

#340 ·
I like they way she talks about Kimiko :shrug: I prefer that to just saying that she played the worst match ever and that she gifted everything to her opponent.
However, she obviously has to be critical of herself as well and face the problems in her own game (not only talking about this match but about many this year).
One more note, she praises Kimiko's fitness and as much as I admire her for still bebing around and quite successful at that age, there is no way her fitness should be better than Maria's - who is 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.