Tennis Forum banner

Sofia Shapatava Cheering Thread

39K views 269 replies 25 participants last post by  Jorn 
#1 ·
She's entered top400 and has been having great results this year, having begun the season at 692 .. I think she deserves a cheering thread :D

#30 ·
Sofia bye into R2 100k+H Athens qualies and will play Amanda Elliot tomorrow.

#38 ·
Hey Gigi and others :wavey:

Congratulations to Sofia!

Here is an interview from the Tashkent site:
Short summary of interview with Sofia Shapatava from Georgia
- A little bit about your game.
- I was very excited it was my first WTA match. My rival was also a debutant at a WTA tournament. I am happy that I was luckier than may rival.
- Is this your best result?
- In WTA – yes.
- Have visited Tashkent before?
- No, this is the first time. But I played in Namangan’s 25-thousand tournament.
- What did you feel while playing, it was a dream come true to play at a WTA Tournament wasn’t it?
- I was very excited. But I try to enjoy my games irrespective of the tournaments.
- How did the match go?
- In the beginning both of us made mistakes. Then I braced myself and demonstrated a better result.
- Are you the first player from Georgia in WTA?
- I’m the third racket. The first two are from the 100s. I also plan to enter the 200s, so next year I can the Grand Slam qualifiers.
- In Georgia most of the people speak their native language, but you…
- My mother is half Russian and Ukranian so it’s not only Georgian blood that flows in my veins.
- In the first match most of the spectators were cheering you, in the next rounds if have to play an Uzbek player that will not happen. Are you ready for that?
- Maybe this will even help me.
- Do you train at home?
- I have two coaches and they have been there for a while. I’m very much satisfied with their work and not planning to change them.
- What are your impressions from visiting Tashkent?
- Very warm impressions. I am very happy that it is here where I play my first WTA tournament and have demonstrated my best result so far. So nothing will spoil impressions.

#41 ·
Good news for Gigi :)

სოფოს დააფინანსებენ ავსტრალიაში გასამგზავრებლად. ასე რომ, შეიძლება სამი ქართველიც იყოს ავსტრალიის პირველობის კვალიფიკაციაში :)

#43 ·
ITF Minsk 25k MD:
R32-Sofia Shapatava GEO vs. Aniko Kapros HUN

Kapros used to be good, but that was back in the day;). Go Sofia!!!!!
Doubles R16:
Shapatava/Tsybysheva GEO/RUS vs. (WC)Pirazhenka/Yemialyanava BLR/BLR

#45 ·
Sofia lost 1 and 1:banghead:

#47 ·
^from Minsk or RG?

#49 ·
Where's the video? :unsure:
Sofia is playing a 50K in Russia this week. Sofia is seeded 7th and plays Kalabina in R1.
In doubles, Shapatava/Kalabina will play Arefyeva/Melnikova in R1;)

Go Sofia!

#51 ·
Interview with Sofia on a Georgian site. ;)

Basically, she says that she almost retired after flying all the way to Australia and not making the cut :awww: And then she was attacked in Georgia for lying to the Olympic committee cause they sponsored here. :eek: But she's back now and she's training as hard as ever. She also changed a coach with whom she thinks she's going well now. Their working on her serve and on court strategy mostly. :) I hope Sofia will make the RG cut! :banana:

#52 ·
Go Sophia!
Where will she play next??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.