Which side of the draw has collapsed more? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 31st, 2014, 11:50 AM   #1
country flag FleetSeb

FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of FleetSeb has much to be proud of
Which side of the draw has collapsed more?

In terms of seeded players going out?

In the top half we've lost Kvitova, Ivanovic, CSN and Cibulkova.

Remaining top seeds are Serena, Bouchard, Pennetta, Azarenka plus there is also Katya Makarova who normally elevates her game at slams (and is so near to being a top 16 seed)

In the bottom half we've lost Halep, Radwanska, Kerber and Venus (who while not top 16 was considered a major threat given her recent performances)

Remaining contenders are Sharapova, Jankovic, Wozniacki, Errani, Safarova. (Plus Bencic is obviously going to be strong in the future and is demonstrating some serious poise now; Peng also playing some excellent stuff)

Personally I actually think the draw remains fairly balanced. Serena is a bigger threat than Maria which makes life tougher for those on the top half of the draw, but I'd say broadly speaking you have 3 likely contenders from both sides: Serena, Bouchard and Azarenka for the top half; Maria, JJ and Caro for the bottom half. Plus you still have a few spoilers on both sides who are capable of making the SFs and maybe the finals if things go their way. If iI were to differentiate between the two halves I'd say the bottom half has more strength in depth (it's lower ranked players are more likely to cause an upset IMO) but the top half has slightly better slam credentials.

Whilst there have been a lot of upsets this slam, I'd say it's not yet on a par with Wimbledon 2013, and is probably still ahead of RG 2014 (although if one of Maria or Serena lose in R4 it probably heads that way)

All of the 6 players I picked as likely contenders still have serious flaws in their credentials for this slam given 2014 form so I think it's actually going to be fairly interesting how it pans out.
Simona Halep - Heather Watson - Julia Goerges - Kimiko Date Krumm - Lucie Safarova - Nadia Petrova
FleetSeb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 31st, 2014, 11:58 AM   #2
Foot_Fault

Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute Foot_Fault has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which side of the draw has collapsed more?

I agree that it's still pretty balance given the names that went out on both sides. Still some compelling match ups looming. I would like to see Caroline get to the Finals, I think she could be a resurgent player that could make some serious noise in 2015.

Rafael Nadal

Venus Williams

2000, 2001, 2005, 2007 and 2008 Wimbledon Champion - Venus Williams Kicks GrASS!!
Foot_Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2014, 12:07 PM   #3
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which side of the draw has collapsed more?

Top, bottom half was the weaker half before the draw...
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote