Tennis Forum banner

Predict who will win the 2013 head-to-head between Sharapova and Azarenka

41K views 544 replies 121 participants last post by  caroalltheway 
#1 ·
Try to keep this thread as untrollish as possible so that the winning side can bump it and gloat at the end of the season :bigwave:

#34 ·
What does it matter? Azarenka will be a non-entity in 2013. She has no staying power with that useless game.

#35 ·
I´ve got good memories about these Premier Mandatory tournaments.

Indian Wells Final 2012:

Beijing Final 2012:

I would say that Vika would be a favourite against Maria in Australian Open, Indian Wells, US Open and Beijing if they meet again in 2013. But who know if they have that many head to head games next year.

#45 ·
sure sure , but she will be extremely injured at least 3 times next year , of course during her matches against Masha which she will lose:)

It think it will be 3-3 or 3-2 in Masha's favour , Vika will still win some matches vs Crapova/Doublefaultpova and will lose to Goatpova and Claypova

#46 ·
I think it depends of the number of time they'd face eachothers but I'd give a slight advantage to Sharapova, something like 2-1 or 3-2 if they play more often than that then I'd go with Sharapova with a bigger margin. Sharapova is having the edge on Vika more and more now...She won it on clay and on indoor court. She managed to make tight matches on hard court too. This will give her confidence to continue on proper hard court next season.

#50 · (Edited)
It won't be easy, but Vika needs to rethink her game. She needs to be a little more aggressive from the baseline, but even then Masha is real powerful. Perhaps a few more droppers to keep Maria honest.

Masha 3-2.

Both in great shape so should meet each other at least 10 more times throughout their respective careers.

They both play every point so tough that it's hard to see either blowing away a H2H 3-0 or something.

#55 ·
It'll be close. Like a 4-3 edge. However I'm not sure who would pull out the winning record. Based on their overall head-to-head, I'd give the nod to Vika but you cannot count Maria out. But it's certainly nice that we have a rivalry again.

#72 ·
Whoever improves on the weakest part of their game will own the other by end of 2013 :help:
Both have an inconsistent & unreliable serve, both return well with Vika having the edge.
Vika is consistent on her deep ground strokes, is very athletic and moves far better than Maria
Maria is mentally tougher, not by a wide margin but hit the lines hard with accuracy

Based on these observations, I say 3-2 Vika ...they may not even meet at all :lol: because of the other big cats interfering :lol:

#79 ·
if Serena stays at #3 they might not even play in a slam final or many times, since at Australia, Wimbledon, U.S Open Serena is there to beat one in the semis and the other in the final, if both even get that far, thus preventing the meeting. Then at the French Azarenka is doing nothing anyway, regardless what Serena or Maria do. I have no idea how the thread starter thinks they are going to play 7 times and numerous times in slams given Serena's current rank and Serena being a 100% certain win anytime she steps on court with either Maria or Victoria.

#80 ·
People are expecting way too much from Williams. Sure, she'll probably win the fast slams (i.e. USO and Wimbledon), but Azarenka and/or Sharapova will take the other two. Plus regardless of their H2H against Williams, they WILL beat her eventually, unless she goes all part-time on the WTA like she always does. Playing against her regularly can only do good.

#81 ·
I think people are forgetting that 2013 is a different year, we don't know for sure whether Maria and Vika will be meeting regularly like last year or if Serena will be meeting them regularly either. Another player can emerge and steal everyone's thunder. Unfortunately it's not the norm in the WTA for top players to be meeting each other often, so we'll see what happens next year.

#86 ·
And when was the last time Maria even DOMINATED? Maria at ANY age hasn't dominated like Serena did, even this year. So really stop taking diss at Serena. :wavey:

#88 ·
radwanska kvitova and stosur are not one dimentionals.. think of stosur for example.. she can chose how to hit her backhand depending on the match.. radwanska has great hands and use them properly whenever shes confident and kvitova is a great net player.. ill give you errani but thats not even a whole dimension.. more like half

#90 ·
"she can chose how to hit her BH"
Yes, when she has time she can try a risky DTL and fails many times. Stole her time she is back to square one. Entirely depends on her opponent. And what can she do?

Radwanska has nice touch and moves well, okay. What else?

Kvitova goes to the net. And? Will she hit less UE? Will she move better?

BS excuses. Most of the players have limited technical and physical skills, limiting their on court strategies.
You dont see Radwanska ballbashing. Everyone is so full with her brilliant touch, do you think she wouldn't trade it for the ability to win actual slams with ballbashing? Or for being 6'-6'2" and have physical advantage?

One-dimensional. 90% or more of the players.

#91 ·
radwanska kvitova and stosur are not one dimentionals.. think of stosur for example.. she can chose how to hit her backhand depending on the match.. radwanska has great hands and use them properly whenever shes confident and kvitova is a great net player.. ill give you errani but thats not even a whole dimension.. more like half
not one-dimentional is only Serena in current WTA tour . Azarenka/Kvitova/Radwanska when their advantages (each has just a few of them) are not working are blown out of the court and look helpless. Azarenka can only outlast her opponents, when they are beating her heavily (like vs Cibukova), she can't offer anything more than what she has already shown. As for Serena, she has unlimited reserves....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.