#1 · (Edited)
Petra´s schedule

flying to Australia DEC 25

BRISBANE - BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL DEC 30 - JAN 05

SYDNEY - APIA INTERNATIONAL SYDNEY JAN 06 - JAN 11

MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIAN OPEN JAN 14 - JAN 27

#4 ·
Re: Petra versus Koala in Brisbane

When I first saw the thread title,I guessed that 'pov' was the OP....Another one of those threads with an extremely short shelf life of relevance like,'Kvitova Bought Some New Shoes at the Store Today: Do You Like Her Fashion Taste?'

I wondered if Petra had picked up an irritable koala on a tour of a local petting zoo...and then had the creature snap at her.However,with tourney threads,it's nice to have you contribute your creative touch once in a while,Paul:cool:

#15 ·

Petra`s half

(6)Petra Kvitova (CZE) v Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP)
Lucie Hradecka (CZE) v Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
(wc)Olivia Rogowska (AUS) v Q
Anna Tatishvili (GEO) v (4)Angelique Kerber (GER)

(5)Sara Errani (ITA) v Q
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) v Lourdes Dominguez Lino (ESP)
Roberta Vinci (ITA) v (wc)Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS)
BYE v (2)Maria Sharapova (RUS)

#18 ·

Petra`s half

(6)Petra Kvitova (CZE) v Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP)
Lucie Hradecka (CZE) v Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
(wc)Olivia Rogowska (AUS) v Q
Anna Tatishvili (GEO) v (4)Angelique Kerber (GER)

(5)Sara Errani (ITA) v Q
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) v Lourdes Dominguez Lino (ESP)
Roberta Vinci (ITA) v (wc)Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS)
BYE v (2)Maria Sharapova (RUS)
Tricky draw for Petra... Grrrr

#16 ·

Thanks Meelis.

Tough quarter for Petra if she's rusty or not 100%.

I'm not sure (especially the way she's been complaining about her asthma, and if that proves true), if she'll even make it out the quarter.

And of course, she has Sharapova waiting for her in the semi's, if she gets out of her own relatively easy quarter.

We'll see?

#19 ·

I like it. A chance for revenge x3. (L-Hrad, Carebear, and Pova).

Let's roll, Petra!

#30 ·
Re: Petra beat Carla in Brisbane

Yay Petra!

Tense at the end there and I think she was trying way too hard on the cross court points, but I thought it was good overall :)

15 net points :hearts:

#31 ·

She'll take it (though it started like it would be an abject wipe out).

Saw some things that I liked (her footwork; the way she was moving and freely/quickly swinging, redirecting the racket; the way she was stepping into the court and how she was volleying early--though she largely stopped as the match progressed).

Saw things that hadn't changed: Like her ability to win 6-3 6-4, instead of 6-1 6-2 (or 6-3), due to lapses in concentration or delayed strategy changes when Navarro switched up. She could have definitely tightened the ship during the 2nd set.

Well, the broadcaster said all the other matches had went 3 sets, and said it was windy there today, so I'll cut her some slack, wait and see? I'll also give her some credit for keeping CSN's 2nd set win total at 4.

Onward.

#32 ·

Saw things that hadn't changed: Like her ability to win 6-3 6-4, instead of 6-1 6-2 (or 6-3), due to lapses in concentration or delayed strategy changes when Navarro switched up. She could have definitely tightened the ship during the 2nd set.
meh... Petra was toying with her. This is the first match of the new season, it's really doesn't matter how she played as long as she get the win, tournament for her will start against Pavs

#34 ·

yeah, i like positive signs but seriously it was just warm up, she's like any other player stuck in transition mode from prepping in offseason to start playing real tennis, amount of 3 setters just proves it, also i liked the fact that it was probably the most solid performance in 1st round of any tournaments she played, usually she starts more shaky and works herself into match but this time she was ON from the start.

#35 ·

^^Definitely agree with ShiftyFella regarding the comparison with her previous first round matches to this match. When she was 4-0 up first set, she became quite passive, knowing that her tactics and shots were working and then she stepped it up a bit more in the last games of the first set. In the second, CSN played somewhat better and was retrieving more balls. Petra gave a hasty impression with her shots, mistiming them at times, but pulled through in the end. Certainly a solid first round performance relative to her previous first round matches.

#36 ·

Yeah,I agree with both Shifty and Hyper;even great champions sometimes struggle in their first match returning from the offseason(I'm including other sports here,even taking exhos and preseason into account).Let's check out how quickly Petra can round into form.She's won a season-opening tourney before,and it'd be nice to see her do it again:cool:

#39 ·
Re: Petra playing Nastya in Brisbane

No knock against Sara Errani. But Petra should have been on that Stadium court, instead of her.

The other thing is: Petra hasn't played on that court, and Pav's probably has. So Petra may have to make some adjustments to this show court???

Hopefully not (or that many). But this is what happens when you fall out of the top 4.

At least there will be a stream (based off of last nights matches, though we won't get that funny male commentator--Kevin Skinner, from the Pat Rafter/stadium court).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.