Tennis Forum banner

Will Venus Win a title again before she retire in singles?

• Yes she will, in fact, she will win a Major again.

Votes: 65 27.1%
  • She will not win a major, maybe a tier 1 or lower

Votes: 104 43.3%
  • She won't win another title, if she does, it will be a tier II or lower

Votes: 71 29.6%

Will Venus Williams ever win a singles title at a Major again?

27K views 307 replies 151 participants last post by  Mano Mayj 
#1 · (Edited)
As she has successfully relaunched her comeback tour since learning about her illness, I can't help but to wonder if she will ever have the strength, composer and confidence to plow through a draw and hoist another singles trophy.

Her last singles championship at a Major was back in 2008 at Wimbledon.(4 Years Ago)
Her last singles championship on tour was back in 2010 at Abierto Mexico Telcel in Acapulco. (2 Years Ago)

Her Best showing at a Major recently was back in 2010 when she made the Semifinals at the US Open and lost to eventual champion Kim Clijsters.

See less See more
1 1
#5 ·
Re: Will Venus Williams ever win a singles title again?

Can't see Venus winning a major, but she's still one of the better second-echelon players on the tour, so I would definitely give her a good chance of winning another title or two of some sort. If so, that could well be a tier 1 title, since not all tier 1 events are strongly contested by the top players. I wish her luck!

#64 ·

Can't see Venus winning a major, but she's still one of the better second-echelon players on the tour, so I would definitely give her a good chance of winning another title or two of some sort. If so, that could well be a tier 1 title, since not all tier 1 events are strongly contested by the top players. I wish her luck!
I agree Venus is going to be thirty two years old this month. How many women OVER AGE THIRTY win slams? The only ones I can recall are Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova in the modern era.

#55 ·

Maybe she could go out of her way and whore the Asian swing for a change. She'd definitely blow all those weak-ass pushers away. Vulturenus :worship::worship:
So are you saying that Venus can't beat Sharapova again?

#8 ·

I don't know. I'm sure she is able to win singles titles again (slams too), but I don't know the future. She's Venus Williams and she will be able to win titles. She has game, brain, experience, power and motivation.

#56 ·

I don't know. I'm sure she is able to win singles titles again (slams too), but I don't know the future. She's Venus Williams and she will be able to win titles. She has game, brain, experience, power and motivation.

#11 ·

Its definitely possible, but I think she needs to play a bit more before I could say how likely and what "level". When she's ON, she could win anything - just not sure how often that will happen anymore, or how long it would last.

I think, depending on her post-Olympic schedule, she could win New Haven, Cincinnati etc. as her first title this year.

#13 ·

She'll probably win one of the US open series events if she plays a few over the summer. If not she can always play the MMs at the end of the year and try win Seoul again :lol:

#14 ·

She'll probably win one of the US open series events if she plays a few over the summer. If not she can always play the MMs at the end of the year and try win Seoul again :lol:
IIRC Maria Sharapova after her win in Wimbledon won few MMs in Asia too :oh:

#15 ·

:lol::lol::lol: at the ass covering going on in this thread. :lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: Angel Doll
#16 ·

No she will never win another title. I base this on the events she chooses to play. Lately she only plays the big events with the best players. The other thing is she is just way too inconsistent, with low tennis IQ. (The match with Sharapova is a big example. She kept going to her backhand as if she was playing Stosur) and the serve is not as good as it used to be. All a player has to do is keep the ball in play and Venus is toast.

#57 ·
#18 ·

I think it all depends on whether she chooses to focus solely on the majors or if she plays something resembling full schedule. If it's the latter, she'll certainly win a few more titles. I don't think she'll win another slam, though. And it's really gonna come down to her health.

#20 ·

The signs so far in her comeback are looking quite good. I mean considering that she still hasn't played a lot of tennis, she's had decent results at 3 of her 4 events, and her losses have come against Radwanska, Stosur, Kerber, and Sharapova, who are all currently top 10 in the race so she's hardly been losing to scrubs.

Presuming that she will only get better in her comeback she's more than likely in my opinion gunna win a title of some sort this year. Her favourite part of the season is upcoming where the courts play to her strengths and she'll be super motivated given how little time she has left to start winning again, to make the most of the last year or so of her career.

At this point, not even her fans should make her favourite for a major even Wimbledon, and given circumstances it would be remarkable for her to win at the biggest level, but at the same time, Wimbledon must still be a serious option for a title, given her history and ability to storm through the draw short of matches.

The safe bet would be for Stanford if she plays, or Dubai/Doha next year presuming she plays :)

#21 ·

The signs so far in her comeback are looking quite good. I mean considering that she still hasn't played a lot of tennis, she's had decent results at 3 of her 4 events, and her losses have come against Radwanska, Stosur, Kerber, and Sharapova, who are all currently top 10 in the race so she's hardly been losing to scrubs.

Presuming that she will only get better in her comeback she's more than likely in my opinion gunna win a title of some sort this year. Her favourite part of the season is upcoming where the courts play to her strengths and she'll be super motivated given how little time she has left to start winning again, to make the most of the last year or so of her career.

At this point, not even her fans should make her favourite for a major even Wimbledon, and given circumstances it would be remarkable for her to win at the biggest level, but at the same time, Wimbledon must still be a serious option for a title, given her history and ability to storm through the draw short of matches.

The safe bet would be for Stanford if she plays, or Dubai/Doha next year presuming she plays :)
But you know she's going to draw Pironkova at Wimbledon. Bet on it!

#26 ·

She's still better than 99% of the tour, so it'll be surprising if she doesn't add another 2-3 titles to her name. They might just be Tier II/Premier, but who cares?

Heck, in Paris next week she'll probably be favored in every match she plays unless she runs into Serena/Na/Sharapova/Kerber/Azarenka/Pironkova. :tape: 1% chance that she wins the title (and odds are that she'll lose to some random not in that list), but the fact that 121/127 players in the draw are a winnable matchup for her is enough to remain hopeful that a title will come eventually. She'll need to keep improving her fitness so she can play 4-5 matches without her energy being totally zapped, but no doubt she'll do everything possible.

#31 ·

This is something no one really knows. With her talent she is capable of winning anything but with her illness her body may not support her desire to play her best. If Venus and her team have successfully come up with a plan that sustains her energy and endurance anything is possible. It is still too premature to tell because she has only played a few tournaments and I don't think we have seen what she is fully capable of yet because it appears that she wants to ease into her grove and not over do it.

One thing for sure, I am just going to enjoy the ride win or lose. Because it is great to see a legend like Venus still playing and drawing interest for womens tennis.

#37 ·

This is something no one really knows. With her talent she is capable of winning anything but with her illness her body may not support her desire to play her best. If Venus and her team have successfully come up with a plan that sustains her energy and endurance anything is possible. It is still too premature to tell because she has only played a few tournaments and I don't think we have seen what she is fully capable of yet because it appears that she wants to ease into her grove and not over do it.

One thing for sure, I am just going to enjoy the ride win or lose. Because it is great to see a legend like Venus still playing and drawing interest for womens tennis.
:yeah: Agreed.

#32 ·

She is definitely going to win a singles title. You can see it in her groundstrokes that she is close to coming back.

Slam? Tough. Her best shot is probably this upcoming Wimbledon but Serena is on fire, hard to see Venus beating Serena (or Pironkova).

#34 ·

She is definitely going to win a singles title. You can see it in her groundstrokes that she is close to coming back.

Slam? Tough. Her best shot is probably this upcoming Wimbledon but Serena is on fire, hard to see Venus beating Serena (or Pironkova).
Serena is toast once you made her hit more than 4 balls
- Sanchez

#33 ·

As she has successfully relaunched her comeback tour since learning about her illness, I can't help but to wonder if she will ever have the strength, composer and confidence to plow through a draw and hoist another singles trophy.

Her last singles championship at a Major was back in 2008 at Wimbledon.(4 Years Ago)
Her last singles championship on tour was back in 2010 at Abierto Mexico Telcel in Acapulco. (2 Years Ago)

Her Best showing at a Major recently was back in 2010 when she made the Semifinals at the US Open and lost to eventual champion Kim Clijsters.

Stop living the Past.
We are now using
PM. P5. P. and MM.
No such thing as Tier Is, IIs, etc.
We stopped using it since 2009.

and havent you heard...
Venus Williams will win Roland Garros 2012.

#59 ·

Stop living the Past.
We are now using
PM. P5. P. and MM.
No such thing as Tier Is, IIs, etc.
We stopped using it since 2009.

and havent you heard...
Venus Williams will win Roland Garros 2012.
What does that mean?

And why do you have to be mean? Just enlighten me and move on:rolleyes:

#60 ·

Great thread :sobbing:. Almost as good as bumping the "All William's final" thread.

#38 ·

she gets that serve going and has some luck she can win indoors - or if she meets Baby Sis in the Wimbledon final. you know if they both make it again, Papa Williams will mandate that it's Vee's turn.

#39 ·

Venus is regaining form and her best surface is approaching, but it will still be extremely difficult for her to take either Wimbledon or the OG. An in-form Serena would be too much of an obstacle to overcome, although I can see her being able to beat pretty much anyone else on grass, minus Pironkova.

As for a singles title, it's just a matter of time :shrug: Although I don't even think that is her priority from the look of things. I got the impression that she just wants to earn a few points at tournaments, improve her ranking and qualify for the Olympics.

#40 ·

The tour is stronger than in the last few years. Now we have Serena, Sharapova, Azarenka and a few more playing good, and what's even more important, they seem to be consistent.

Of course, we need to see what is going to happen with her health and game first. At this point, I'd be happy with MM. That would mean her body held up well.

#41 ·

Should have made it a public poll. :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.