Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

864K views 6K replies 140 participants last post by  Michael! 
#1 ·
This is a great idea to start this topic...
I shall dedicate this thread to the player who made me notice tennis and follow it eversince I saw her play.....

Steffi Graf!
:bounce: :bounce:

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks frode

#6 ·
Peoplesforum - huge number of people used it and nobody would give them money. They'd be saying they would go under if they couldn't get $200 and after three days they'd only have raised $23. It's the unusual internet problem of people not wanting to pay for something they think they should get for free. (Ask news websites about this..)

That's funny, Irma. I just dug out the google groups link and it reminded me of Max (Calimero!). What a Grafophile! And tireless poker of Seles fans. I think he was banned from the WTAworld boards for the latter, wasn't he?

Anyway for your entertainment, here's the link for the old google groups Graf board Amy Cottrell ran. It died off for some reason the last few years but if you scroll through the first five or six pages, you'll get to the part where it was still going - and there are many pages before that.... Amy used to repost a lot of old articles on the anniversary of an event (GS win for example) or some other point of interest, so there are lots of articles from long long ago too. I think some stuff has somehow been lost.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...start=600&sa=N

#7 ·
Peoplesforum - huge number of people used it and nobody would give them money. They'd be saying they would go under if they couldn't get $200 and after three days they'd only have raised $23. It's the unusual internet problem of people not wanting to pay for something they think they should get for free. (Ask news websites about this..)

That's funny, Irma. I just dug out the google groups link and it reminded me of Max (Calimero!). What a Grafophile! And tireless poker of Seles fans. I think he was banned from the WTAworld boards for the latter, wasn't he? ...

For poking (not stabbing!) Seles fans?
That is possible???:eek:

#10 ·
I tried to post in the old one, but I couldn't. I don't know if this is a good idea because if we don't post there anymore it will disappear soon. Unless we finally get a forum only for Steffi. What did Calimero do to get banned? I found his post on derkeiler, but I don't like that forum too much, it's all about insulting.

#13 ·
i watched 1999 Winbledon semi-final again, after the AO final tonight. everytime watching a GS final let me miss steffi's match.

poems say "物是人非"(things remain, only people changes)and "自古名将如美人,不教人间见白头"(all heroes, the same as beauties, dont let people see their grey hair), thats just how i feel now.

Reactions: Miranda
#18 ·
I tried to post in the old one, but I couldn't. I don't know if this is a good idea because if we don't post there anymore it will disappear soon. Unless we finally get a forum only for Steffi. What did Calimero do to get banned? I found his post on derkeiler, but I don't like that forum too much, it's all about insulting.
It won't dissapear. That's what the thread indexes and homebases are for. If it does go missing for some reason just let me know:)

It's been quite a while (years now) since Calimero got banned, but basically it was for endlessly repeating himself in multiple threads. He also posted under the name "Way". He was warned several times, as was a pro-Seles poster who posted under multiple names, including "Athena".

#21 ·
#25 ·
Seleçao what are you trying to tell us with this pic ?:eek:

As it's fed cup weekend, I know (West)Germany (with Steffi) won it in 1987 and 1992(?) not sure) but I was wondering how often did she play it. I know she played and lost in 1996 (I remember this match against Date:(:eek: ), but what about the other years.

#26 ·
Steffi's fed cup career started in 1986 in czechoslowakia but she broke her toe when she got a sunshade(?) on her foot while running to fast
I don't think she played in 1988 due to her full schedule with the olympics and all.
She played in 1989 in Tokio (quarterfinal)
In 1990 she was injured (surgery)
In 1991 (Birmingham) she retired during the tournament with a shoulderinjury
In 1993 (Frankfurt) she lost to Nicole Provis and the whole Germany media called a betrayer because Peter Graf was carrying all the startmoney in bags so they claimed she lost on purpose because the money was in the house (Steffi blamed her loss on her shoulder)
In 1994 she refused to play see above (well she played Mahwah which wasn't that smart because she bashed Monica for doing that in 1991)
In 1995 she didn't play either
In 1996 she also played against Austria

That was the last time because the other years she was either injured and also mad at the German tennis association because they didn't treat her with the respect she deserved. Becker and Stich got a contract with money and Steffi didn't (well something like that)
The love was over for good.

#31 ·
In 1991 Steffi played Patricia Hy from Canada and Steffi was in so much pain on her shoulder that she couldn't slice her backhand anymore and played double handed in the third set. Steffi won the set 6:2 (if I remember well) but was forced to cancell the rest of the tournament (and Toronto and Washington). Apparently the problems started because she had tried new raquets.

#40 ·
thanks for the good news Seleção82, We should celebrate.for me steffi and sampras (i'm not a fan of him)are better rolemodels than federer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.