Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why does Mary Carillo hate the Williams sisters?

35K views 165 replies 78 participants last post by  cehowardrx7 
#1 ·
Sorry, I am not sure if this is true, but a lot of people on MTF were saying that Mary Carillo hates the Williams sisters. Is this true? If so, why?

#2 ·
Because they are rich and she is poor.

#4 ·
I am a big V+S fan, but I am in the minority in the belief that Mary does NOT hate the sisters. I think she has high expectations for both of them (and all of the other elite players) and when they don't live up to them she can critical, but it def. is not hate. I think she admires them both actually.

#6 ·
I don’t think she hates them.
I just think she dislikes them because their life doesn’t revolve around tennis.
She expects them to eat, breathe and sleep tennis like most players.
She can’t seem to stand the fact that they can be successful in the game without being fully committed.

Plus…she’s a bitch major bitch... :dance:

#7 ·
Some people think she hates them. I don't. You could really tell during WTT that she hoped for them to play well. The only reason she is critical because she expects better results. Mary really does like them. So does Austin,Fernandez,and Shriver.

#8 ·
The Truth said:
I'm not going to speculate, but I know she seems to be far more critical of them then she is of other players.
Have you ever considered that it might just be that you're far less critical of them?

I don't think that Mary Carillo hates the Williams Sisters. I think she respects them a lot. Of players currently on tour, the Sisters have by FAR the highest peaks and lowest valleys... when they are high, they are winning back-to-back majors, and when they're low, they're losing in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to very low-ranked players.

I am a huge fan of the Sisters, but nothing that Mary Carillo says is unfair. She just expects a lot.

#9 ·
I think she, like most commentators, and to be honest like a lot of people on this board fall into hype and of the moment in the tennis world. For instance, after Shaui Peng beat Myskina at the beginning of the year, which how many top players get upset at the beginning of the year, so many people really thought she'd upset Venus, which was totallly unreasonable. It's also like after Sharapova won Wimbledon. People were praising her as the next Stefi Graf or Navratilova practically, totally biased against shortcomings in her game, that are obvious now, but people overlooked then. The sisters were winning she praised them as the next coming of christ, they were not playing so well and suddenly they weren't dedicated. She more than any other commentator uses extremes. WHen it looked for all the world Sharpaova would wiin in Australia she said, "Serena's game isn't as good as it is anymore." The statement itself probably wasn't that far off at the time, but she lets her opinion of the moment (Sharapova is the superior player) negate what she knows to be true (That better than any other players on the tour, the Sisters know how to win when not playing their best) so she made the statement, Serena won, and she looked foolish trying to defend her position. Just like at Wimbledon, all the commentators talked about how Venus' extracirriculars had taken away from her tennis. Suddenly when she started winning, it was because she was dedicated again. Many times through a match, Mary will drastically changer her opinon to suit whatever is happening. Again, people on this board fall prey to the same things, as do the other commentators, she just seems to be the loudest. Though to her credit, she is the only commentator I recall saying that she thought that if the sisters could get their serve back, among other things, that they would be deciding majors again, to me implying she still thinks they are the best players in the world. So to answer question, no i don't think she hates them, I think she just changes her opinion to go along with the masses, like a lot of other people.

#10 ·
i can't stand even listening to mary carillo...but i do feel she is too critical of the sisters, especially when her career wasn't all that flattering.

#12 ·
venus_rulez said:
So to answer question, no i don't think she hates them, I think she just changes her opinion to go along with the masses, like a lot of other people.
That's not that unreasonable. As a commentator, she has to play the odds when she makes prognastic statements. After the first set and a half at the AO semis, the odds were that Serena was going to lose. So Mary said so. It wasn't unfair.

Also, after losing in the 3rd round of RG, the odds were that Venus wasn't going to win Wimbledon. So Mary said so. Again, not really unfair. Things change, but commentators have to go by recent, past results - which is what Mary does.

#14 ·
As said by another poster it might be because they have so many out side interests and activity a part from tennis but yet they both have successful tennis careers. well she just concentrate on tennis and does not think it is fair that she had to work so hard well V&S can divide up their time and experience just as much success as her:p .

#15 · (Edited)
I don't think she hates them. I think they are very fascinating, charismatic people, and she finds herself paying a lot of attention to them, analyzing what they do. I also think there is a little bit of jealousy there. Mary Carillo was a very committed professional, who achieved little on the court. Venus and Serena Williams are not nearly as narrowly focused on tennis as mary Carillo was, and have achieved far more.

She's only human. In her position, wouldn't you focus on what they could achieve if they were as focused on tennis as Mary herself had been? Does she hold them to a different, higher standard than other players? Yes. Is she as critical of other, less successful player's coaches? No. But 'hate'?

There are sports commentators who talked about women's tennis in the late 1990's who never mention it now. Chris Russo (of Mike and the Mad Dog, local reference)was a particular fan of Martina Hingis. Now he simply avoids mentioning women's tennis at all. And, to his credit, he admits that he just doesn't like the Williams sisters. When a sports announcer refuses to discuss a once favored sport out of dislike for a player, that's bordering on hatred. (He will discuss the men though. He loves Federer.)

#16 ·
Miching~Mallecho said:
I don’t think she hates them.
I just think she dislikes them because their life doesn’t revolve around tennis.
She expects them to eat, breathe and sleep tennis like most players.
She can’t seem to stand the fact that they can be successful in the game without being fully committed.

Plus…she’s a bitch major bitch... :dance:
I would agree with everything said above.

Mary has the same disease that many "never was" athletes have. :rolleyes:

They think
, "I had to work so hard to get that little slice of the pie
" (in her case that would be a crumb that fell off Johnny Mac's friggin' plate) "and these bitches come along, don't pay their dues in the juniors and blow past my acheivements and they don't even 'love the sport' like I did."

As an athlete who played 3 sports at the college level, to various levels of success, I have encountered numerous frustrated non jocks (the Rudies) who have said the same kind of crap to me, "if I was as big as you or as fast as you, I'd be so much better than you because I want it more."

Simple answer, when you don't have talent you work hard not because you want it more, you work hard because if you don't, you don't play at all. ;)

Mary is just a bitter Rudy with a Microphone.

If you don't do it "her way" or "the way she would have done it if she was you", you're not doing it right. :lol: :tape:

Reactions: Talker_Squawker
#17 ·
I don't think her being critical of them (or anyone) equates with her "hating" them or anyone else. I think Carillo does take herself a little too seriously, though. Surely she gets that from John McEnroe who should never commentate on a women's tennis match since he rarely talks about the MATCH! :mad:

#18 ·
i don't believe Carillo hates the WS's at all. I think her commentary is fair and accurate and some people just don't want to hear it. She can say something as innocent as "Venus needs to get her forehand together if she wants to improve" and people go crazy and say she's hating on Venus.

When they're doing well her commentary reflects that. But when they're doing bad why should she sit there and pretend they're not? I think she's honest about them. The tennis world expects them to do their best all of the time and when they're not playing well the commentators get really critical. Doesn't mean they hate them.

#19 ·
TeamUSA#1 said:
I am a big V+S fan, but I am in the minority in the belief that Mary does NOT hate the sisters. I think she has high expectations for both of them (and all of the other elite players) and when they don't live up to them she can critical, but it def. is not hate. I think she admires them both actually.
Maybe Mary thinks that they have squandered their talent and under achived compared to what they could have done. But I am sure she is alone in that thought.

#21 ·
Mary doesnt HATE the sisters, that is a strong word.

However, she does hold them to a higher standardb than other players, is pretty quick to denigrate thgem and their chances, and is inconsistent with her commentary. So to a fan of Serena's, thats hating, but not hatred.

#22 ·
She does not hate the sisters. She feels frustrated that they have so much talent and promise and could be truly greater than steffi and martina only if they in her mind drop everything else and focus solely on tennis.

No television shows.
No interior design business.
No Aneres.
No award shows.
No movie primiers.

Etc. etc.

of course this will never happen and so she's harder on them than most players.

#23 ·
Justin @ 3:01pm said:
She hates them because she doesnt think that they give back enough to tennis or that they are committed enough to the sport.
Justin @ 3:34pm said:
Mary doesnt HATE the sisters, that is a strong word.However, she does hold them to a higher standardb than other players, is pretty quick to denigrate thgem and their chances, and is inconsistent with her commentary. So to a fan of Serena's, thats hating, but not hatred.
:scratch:
Which one is it?? Do you think she "hates" them or is she just "hating?"

#24 ·
Justin. said:
Mary doesnt HATE the sisters, that is a strong word.

However, she does hold them to a higher standardb than other players, is pretty quick to denigrate thgem and their chances, and is inconsistent with her commentary. So to a fan of Serena's, thats hating, but not hatred.
Good explanation for me.

For me, be consistent across the board with all the players and it may not be such a problem for people. But I will always remember something she said that pretty much sums her up to me. When Venus won her Wimbledon semi, Mary said other people, her included had decided something for Venus that wasn't true. So whenever she speaks on something that I feel is unfair or negative I just remember what she said then and what she probably knows she tends to do when talking about either Venus or Serena.

#25 ·
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy who can and will find something negative to say about everybody? Or do I have her confused with someone else?

Reactions: LoveFifteen
#26 ·
What I most dislike about Mary is that when the sisters are playing bad she's all, "they can't commit to tennis, they have too many outside interests," but when they win she shuts up and doesnt offer any compliments.

Or even worse: during a match she will offer tactics how to beat venus or serena but not who one would beat whoever they are playing. Its ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.