Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloane Stephens disses Serena in new ESPN Magazine Article

131K views 1K replies 283 participants last post by  Zamboni 
#1 · (Edited)
(The other thread was about Sloane and her autograph story.)

Here's a link to the article "preview" for those who haven't read it.

She didn't hold back :help:

http://tennis.si.com/2013/05/04/sloane-stephens-serena-williams-2/

In an interview in the May 13 issue of ESPN The Magazine, Sloane Stephens reveals that her relationship with Serena Williams has completely deteriorated since Stephens beat Williams at the Australian Open in January.

Here’s a snippet from Marin Cogan’s story:

“She’s not said one word to me, not spoken to me, not said hi, not looked my way, not been in the same room with me since I played her in Australia,” Stephens says emphatically. “And that should tell everyone something, how she went from saying all these nice things about me to unfollowing me on Twitter.”

Her mom tries to slow her down, but Sloane is insistent. “Like, seriously! People should know. They think she’s so friendly and she’s so this and she’s so that — no, that’s not reality! You don’t unfollow someone on Twitter, delete them off of BlackBerry Messenger. I mean, what for? Why?”

Stephens also responds to this cryptic tweet that Williams sent two days after their quarterfinal match:

“I was like, ‘You really don’t think I know that that’s about me?’”
Stephens tells the magazine.

Needless to say, it seems like Stephens had some things to get off her chest about the media’s portrayal of her relationship with Williams and she didn’t hold back.

In the interview (which was conducted in late March), Stephens debunks the myth that she and Williams have shared a close bond. Though both played a part in allowing that narrative to spin out of control during the Australian Open, Stephens now says that contrary to popular belief, Williams was never her favorite player.

“I’ve always said Kim Clijsters is my favorite player, so it’s kind of weird,” she says.

In fact, Stephens describes an incident when she was 12 and first saw Williams play, in Delray Beach, Fla., at a Fed Cup tie (ironically, the two were Fed Cup teammates two weeks ago in Delray Beach), that left her with a bad impression of Serena and her sister Venus.

“I waited all day [for an autograph],” she explains. “They walked by three times and never signed our posters.”

Stephens adds of the poster: “I hung it up [in my room] for a while. I was, like, devastated because they didn’t sign it, whatever, and then after that I was over it. I found a new player to like because I didn’t like them anymore.

The story is particularly enlightening given how much was made of that Serena poster in the lead-up to their Australian Open match. Asked about the poster during her post-win interview with Rennae Stubbs, Stephens joked, “I think I’ll put a poster up of myself now.”

Stephens also eviscerated any shred of truth behind the overblown mentor-protege angle that many media outlets ran with when the two faced off in January, first in Brisbane and then in Melbourne:

“For the first 16 years of my life, she said one word to me and was never involved in my tennis whatsoever,” says Stephens. “I really don’t think it’s that big of a deal that she’s not involved now. If you mentor someone, that means you speak to them, that means you help them, that means you know about their life, that means you care about them. Are any of those things true at this moment? No, so therefore…”

I offer: “They want the next great American player.”

Stephens says: “They want another Serena.”

#104 ·
I think Serena fans are making too much of this. Surely everyone can see Stephens is a complete mess. She let one victory go to her head and now apparently she's on the same level? Whatever the media said or did isn't Serena's responsibility. She doesn't owe Stephens anything.

#111 · (Edited)
Her diplomatic mother was practically moonlighting as her PR agent right behind her. She refused the advice.

Anyhoo, I'm sure Mary Carillo is keeping the interns at ESPN up all night to search through the archives to see if that Fed Cup tie was broadcast with the morsel of hope that any exchanges between Serena and little Sloane being denied happened to be on the air.

#112 ·
It's funny how everyone who would damn near slash Serena's throat for saying anything like this are now saying how brave and great Sloane is. You lot are pathetic.

Firstly, a random tweet goes out saying I made you. Did it say Sloane, I made you? Or I made that girl that beat me at the AO... No, it said I made you. So unless Serena publicly says it was about Sloane, it's all speculation.

Two, over an autograph. What kind of obsessed and mentally ill behavior is this. It's looking quite sad... Like serious, an autograph.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#113 ·
This child should shut up and grow up. If she really wants to know why Serena doesn't want anything to do with her it's because of all the lies she was telling at the Australian. Not to mention her childish "all about me" tantrum of "those c'mons are so disrespectful."

Go read the transcripts of the Australian. When the press would ask Serena about things nut job said Serena was like...Nope didn't happen. She will be playing challengers soon and still bemoaning the fact that Serena doesn't want to be her friend. Friends don't attempt to use friends. She basically tried to famewh0re Serena and Serena finally said enough. I'm sure at this point she can see them coming from a mile away.

#923 ·
Actually this was the original asshole:

LMFAO! :facepalm: Rookie have SEVERAL SEATS! Sloane is a LIAR plain and simple. People like to gloss over that because Serena is involved, but lets call a Spade a Spade. She "PRETENDED" to have this great relationship with Serena and then once Serena showed her that she is STILL competition Sloane felt some type of way about the treatment. Its CLEAR to me now that because Sloane is black she thought Serena would treat her different, which is also why this story is REALLY getting all the publicity. People love to see 2 black women attempting to drag each other down in the press. Sloane provided the medium for it and now she will have to live with that being forever in print.

I honestly hope Serena lets her tennis do all the talking regarding this situation.

#123 ·
untill today i just tought she was a crappy tennis player, now i just realized she has also a crappy personality...

#124 ·
Stephens is the most hated?:unsure:
That's news to me...acutally, the only ones hating on her are bitter and vile WS tards, who can't swallow any defeat with dignity, just like their bully fave.

#129 ·
No one knows what the I made you comment was about. I remember that Masha made some comments around the same time and peope thought it was in response to that. No they "know" for sure it was in response to Sloane. Secondly, she may have removed her from her timeline because she did not want see all the tweets/retweets about sloane.

#133 ·
It's amazing to me that Sloane is being discussed for being some kind of brave outspoken person, when instead she should be dragged for her incessant flopping. Nice try Slo-mo Stephens, we ain't overlooking your floppity flops. I mean can she win anything? She will soon need to play qualifying for ITFs :lol: :lol:

#141 ·
This is even worse than those few quotes I saw last night. :facepalm: It doesn't matter what kind of person Serena is, Sloane really embarrassed herself here. It's like she's still 12.

#144 ·
Sloane needs to teach that it's not good to be honest with media, especially in America. You have to be fake, but polite. What Serena says after a match when she double-bagels someone? "Yeah, she's such a great player and this match was so tough". That's why people love her. If you say the bitter truth people will hate you, FACT. It's like when you win an academy award you just have to say how you love everyone how you are thankful to your neighbor's dog how this is surprising to you and how phenomenal were performances of the other nominees even though you haven't watch their films.
Ok Sloane, what you said might be the truth, but you shouldn't say it to press. Majority of people don't know the context and will look at this situation one-sided. For them you are just rude and impolite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.